Author Topic: 4 maps that need to go  (Read 8197 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: 4 maps that need to go
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 11:42:10 AM »
I have three new maps ready for the MA:  Reefs, Badlands, and Crags.  They can be downloaded for testing and comments with "Choose Terrain" and "Offline Practice".  Don't know if they would attract new subscribers, but they would provide some variety for veterans players.

I also have 2 new maps ready to upload, 3Points & TexArk. Both are small maps, 33 and 32 bases per side respectively. 3Points has CV and BB task groups, while TexArk is land based. Both were generated with Artik's "MakeAHMap", 3Points based on the Great Lakes region and TexArk, as you might guess, the N. Texas/Arkansas region.

As Kong stated, they can be downloaded for testing and comments with "Choose Terrain" and "Offline Practice".

There are limits to what new maps will do. The variety of the terrain, that's easy, but there are only so many ways you can configure bases for a given size map.

Man if we could remove those maps I mentioned for these maps, I'd be so happy. It would provide a much needed breath of fresh air. I am just getting tired of seemingly playing the same 3-4 huge maps every weekend because they cannot be won very quickly relative to the others. We really need some maps that are better suited for the off hours. These smaller maps are the way to go.

Annnnd, if they were marketed on the front page, or front page of steam, I can bet we would see an increase in #s.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 11:46:22 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 12:40:07 PM »
I have three new maps ready for the MA:  Reefs, Badlands, and Crags.  They can be downloaded for testing and comments with "Choose Terrain" and "Offline Practice".  Don't know if they would attract new subscribers, but they would provide some variety for veterans players.

I checked out Reefs during a break today. I like it. One problem I have is that it is way too easy to resup the AAA, Ammo, and radar with an M3 gv spawn. Its like a 1-2min drive to resup, maybe a 3min flight for a c47, so it wouldnt make bombing the strats really worth it in my opinion.

Reefs map: https://i.imgur.com/arV2pPM.jpg
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 01:04:21 PM »
I deliberately made the strat resupply times short -- around 2 minutes.  That means it takes one player 30 minutes to resupply the strat, about the same time it took a player to attack it.  And if the attacker's team mates destroy field assets while the strat is being resupplied, it takes MUCH longer to repair everything.  So, coordinated strat/field attacks are encouraged and rewarded.

To me, resupplying strats is the most tedious aspect of the game and I designed the map to minimize it.  For players who like spending their time resupplying, we have Buzzsaw.   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 01:31:27 PM »
I deliberately made the strat resupply times short -- around 2 minutes.  That means it takes one player 30 minutes to resupply the strat, about the same time it took a player to attack it.  And if the attacker's team mates destroy field assets while the strat is being resupplied, it takes MUCH longer to repair everything.  So, coordinated strat/field attacks are encouraged and rewarded.

To me, resupplying strats is the most tedious aspect of the game and I designed the map to minimize it.  For players who like spending their time resupplying, we have Buzzsaw.   :D

I like the thought process behind it, i use to log out when the HQ would go down. It only got worse when you spent all that time to resupply and it was down an hour later.

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 02:32:27 PM »

That makes sense! Now you gave me a new strategy idea :) As long as those bases nearby can have their VH or Bomber Hangers shut down, IDK if thats possible on the bases with the red slash mark through them.

I also checked out Badlands and Crag. I think all three should be put into the game to replace at least buzzsaw, small pizza (I think Crags is a better looking small pizza like map), and CraterMA

Do we have to wait for a AH 3 update release? Or can HiTech turn on/off maps and replace the old ones with the new ones?

For those at work or whatever:

Badlands map image: https://i.imgur.com/6JXQHgO.jpg

Crags map image; https://i.imgur.com/rES7yDU.jpg
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 08:08:58 PM »
That makes sense! Now you gave me a new strategy idea :) As long as those bases nearby can have their VH or Bomber Hangers shut down, IDK if thats possible on the bases with the red slash mark through them.

I also checked out Badlands and Crag. I think all three should be put into the game to replace at least buzzsaw, small pizza (I think Crags is a better looking small pizza like map), and CraterMA

Do we have to wait for a AH 3 update release? Or can HiTech turn on/off maps and replace the old ones with the new ones?

For those at work or whatever:

Badlands map image: https://i.imgur.com/6JXQHgO.jpg

Crags map image; https://i.imgur.com/rES7yDU.jpg

Thanks for posting the maps Svaalbar.

I think those look much better for off hours gameplay. I could see some real big furballs during the weekend. Much better for the current gameplay. Of course I'd have to play them first.

Thanks Popeye and Jimmy for taking the time and making these maps. It really means a lot to all of us.  :salute
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2021, 11:46:31 AM »
TexArk uploaded to Terrains, let me know what you think.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2021, 06:11:32 PM »
Had a look at 3points and TexArk.

Looks like bases are reasonably close on 3points once you have a beachhead on the enemy island, but it's a long flight (15 min) to that first field.  (At least until the CV gets there.)

Seems like both maps could use some clouds -- I love the AH clouds.   :D

Nice work Kenai.   :salute

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2021, 08:27:05 PM »
Didn't even think of clouds Kong lol. I'll go back and check that out. Is it pretty straight forward? :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2021, 11:47:09 PM »

Well strat raids have risk involved where as resupplying does not.

Chuikov

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 06:24:32 AM »

Which means strat raids have fun involved, where as resupplying does not.   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2021, 08:45:41 AM »

I have noticed over the years, it seems the new players pickup on the resupp work as they learn the game. Without the ability to re-supply the strats, it becomes nothing more than a beat down. I would also argue that re-supplying has its risk as well, we have all seen fighters NOE into strats to kill Goons and M3s.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2021, 09:40:07 AM »
Thank you to those that dedicate their time and mental powers to create enjoyable maps.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 09:42:42 AM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 10:07:48 AM »
I think if most of you signed up for auto country switch,  most of these " gameplay " issues would vanish

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2021, 10:48:02 AM »
Had a look at 3points and TexArk.

Looks like bases are reasonably close on 3points once you have a beachhead on the enemy island, but it's a long flight (15 min) to that first field.  (At least until the CV gets there.)

Seems like both maps could use some clouds -- I love the AH clouds.   :D

Nice work Kenai.   :salute

Thanks for the feedback Kong, and the "atta boy"  :aok.

I did go back and change the V-bases on the islands to Small Air Fields. You now can be over an enemy base in 4 minutes on the islands. That should get the fly boys happier. The TT is still there, but now the gv-ers will have to contend with the bombers and jabos, but you can't have every thing.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76