Author Topic: T-34/85 dominance  (Read 5851 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
T-34/85 dominance
« on: July 30, 2021, 12:46:49 PM »
Tanks vs tank action 2016 (last full year of AHII) compared with 1st half of 2021
Number in [] behind the name is the perk cost, which hasn't changed from AHII to AHIII

While I took the current year's numbers for this comparison, they would have been very similar for any point in time after AHIII went live. It was a rather abrupt (and massive) change in tank usage & successes that resulted directly from the introduction of the last AH version.
Interestingly, the KD of T34/85 vs Tiger I engagements went from 0.75 to 1.26 which means the sides have reversed - without any change in the vehicles themselves. The Tiger I barely manages to hold a 1.15 K/D vs all tanks combined while still having a price of 20 perk points.

I'd say a tank perks adjustment is long overdue...

(And no, this thread is not about the Yak-3  :neener:)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 01:03:32 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Re: T-34/85 dominance
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 12:53:34 PM »
So the numbers are exactly what it feels like, nice work!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 03:42:12 PM by whiteman »

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 07:27:06 AM »
suggestions? 

I thought getting rid of perks altogether would be interesting. except for the tiger II.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 07:42:43 AM »
I thought getting rid of perks altogether would be interesting. except for the tiger II.

I think the only change we would see is an increased usage of the Panther, but the T-34 would still totally dominate the field, especially when attacking.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 09:22:00 AM »
I agree at 7mph faster than every other tank there’s good reason not to take it.
Optics, and armor are advantages for other tanks but the map designs negate those because of all the trees.  so every engagement is less that 1200 yards.

Of course the trees provide some cover against bombyards. so there no good answer for tank warfare.
Who is John Galt?

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 10:19:55 AM »
Something changed in the Tiger1, I noticed immediately it became a 1 hit death magnet after it had it's perks adjusted when the KingTiger appeared.
I believe I complained about it at the time. :joystick:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 03:20:05 PM »
Maybe a perk increase on the T34/85 and a perk decrease on the Panther?

The zoom feature seems to be the only aspect of the Panther that is an advantage. Long range shooting is rare now with all the trees and vegetation. 

Seems like since returning from AH2 to AH3, the Panther took a lot more damage to bring it down than it does now...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 04:43:53 PM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 03:56:41 PM »
That said, Is it a bad thing that everyone uses the same tank?  sounds fair to me.  forcing diversity for diversity’s sake is usually not a good thing.
Who is John Galt?

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 04:19:12 PM »
That said, Is it a bad thing that everyone uses the same tank?  sounds fair to me.  forcing diversity for diversity’s sake is usually not a good thing.

You T34 supremacist you!!!!  :old:

Sorry, couldn't help myself, carry on   :D

But in general, the game becomes stale when everyone plays in the same best ride.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 04:32:31 PM »

Perk points costs were introduced back in the day exactly for that reason, when the F4UC was becoming the dominant plane in the arena.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 05:01:21 PM »

I think we’re talking about variety here rather than diversity (in the modern use of diversity)...
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 07:39:21 PM »

It was a rather abrupt (and massive) change in tank usage & successes that resulted directly from the introduction of the last AH version.

I'd say a tank perks adjustment is long overdue...

To say that the change in tank usage resulted directly from the "introduction" of AHIII isn't exactly correct. Several players began switching to the T34 prior to AHIII because of the Panzers vulnerability against smaller faster GV's. In addition - many GV players did not make the switch to AHIII, and the majority of GV'ers that did, were more seasoned and understood the advantages/ disadvantages of the Panzers & the T34/85.

The Panzer use to be the most popular Tank in here. I will admit that the current usage of the T34 may create the "perception" that it underperforms with regard to the T34/85 especially to new players. However, it is still a vehicle that deserves your attention in battle.

Maybe a perk increase on the T34/85 and a perk decrease on the Panther?

The zoom feature seems to be the only aspect of the Panther that is an advantage. 

The T34/85 perk cost (in an economic sense) makes it the best value per sortie. Raise the T34 perk cost, and Lower the Panthers, doesn't really change anything. Change the perk value, the herd will change to the better valued tank. Then history will repeat itself, and players will complain that the Panther is under perked. Either way somebody is getting shot. . . . .lol

Stating that the "Zoom feature seems to be the only aspect of the Panther that is an advantage" basically says there is lack of understanding in the differences between tanks. Each GV has their advantages and disadvantages. Many players - especially new players think the bigger gun/ tank has the advantage. The Tiger 1 & 2 are good examples. Once a player saves enough perks to up one and then proceed to lose it, (sometimes it takes two or three ) they understand that the T1 & 2 are generally not worth the perk expenditure in a good battle. The reality is that there is only a handful of players that understand how to use the T1 & T2 effectively. (And I am not one of them)

So if the Panther only has a modest advantage over the T34 then why raise the Cost of the T34/85? If everybody is on an even playing field using the same tank - What is the problem? I have read a couple different threads concerning this now and it appears that the only players "suggesting" or "complaining" about perks are not exactly proactive in understanding their GV or the Ground game.

Anyway, I am not sure why this has become an issue. Gvs are a tool and part of the fun in here is learning to select and use a GV to counter another or use in particular situation or battle. If somebody thinks there isnt enough diversity then why dont they select something else?

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 08:54:43 PM »
TyFoo i think according to your logic there shouldn't be any perk costs or eny associated with different tanks. Personally I don't understand why the t34/85 costs about the same as the M4/76 or m18 and why the firefly costs more.

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 10:12:36 PM »
TyFoo i think according to your logic there shouldn't be any perk costs or eny associated with different tanks. Personally I don't understand why the t34/85 costs about the same as the M4/76 or m18 and why the firefly costs more.
Would think because the 17 pdr on the Firefly is pretty well a consistent 1 shot kill on a T34/85. But don't miss and get ready to scoot fast (at 20mph floored) because 1 hit from just about anything wipes out a Firefly.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 11:47:54 PM »

No, that is not it at all. If you don't keep the perks up on the Tigers, Jags and Panthers (or higher perked rides) then I think there would be a greater disparity between combatants and the ground game would lack balance. Killing a guy One or Four times that just paid 140 perks each time for a T2, brings balance back pretty quickly. . . . lol

Players with a bank account full of perks will naturally migrate to the one tank that meets their return on investment. Currently that is the T34/85. For those that cannot afford the perks? They will still be out of luck and must choose a lower perked/ free ride. So if the T34 cost more than the Panther - everybody will migrate to the Panther. Then what? We have big Panther fights all day instead of T34s? How does that help the guys/ newbs that must use the Panzer in order to participate?

If players want GV diversification, because they do not want to fork over perks, or for diversification sake then they should be the first ones to divest themselves from the use of the T34 first and set an example, and that certainly is not happening. . . . . lol

As far as ENY I must have missed that, but as long as you mentioned it. . .  .ENY is a great example of GV usage. I think we can agree that when ENY goes through the roof, and people cant use their preferred ride, a lot of players get frustrated and log. Personally, myself and others I team with couldn't care less what ENY is doing, its an opportunity to practice using other GVs or switching to planes.

Hence a long time ago AH created that dastardly "Mano the Magnificent" and his Marvelous M8. . . . .lol

A lot of "GV suggestions" come from players that are not satisfied with some aspect of the ground game because they are not getting out of it what they want. And who can blame them? But if they want change based on some perception in their mind that they think would make things easier - IMHO they would be better served by investing their time learning the ground game rather than trying to change it. HiTech has done a pretty good job balancing out the ground game.