Author Topic: DCS Apache  (Read 9313 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: DCS Apache
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2022, 02:08:00 AM »
Play games with the big boys! A-10 Squadrons using VR in DCS for scenario training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_TaM9BcQEs&ab_channel=FrontCost
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2022, 10:01:44 PM »

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2022, 12:24:10 AM »
Just to get some stick time I got the Gazelle to play in.  Rotor birds are just weird.  :rofl

I even got it flying around (auto-start).  It was fun just trying to stay in the air. lol.  I even pretty much landed...sorta'ish.  I'm sure I bent something though.

Ya know, from an engineering point of view it's actually impossible for helicopters to fly.  They're just so damn ugly the Earth repels them.  :cool:

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2022, 03:03:22 PM »

Hooked.  I haven’t tried flying choppers since the original gunship2000 with mouse and keyboard.
With HOTAS and VR it’s a whole different thing.  I think I will specialize in choppers for a while.   It’s sorta revitalized my interest in flightsims again.  Choppers are just so different than what I have flown for decades.  It feels like a whole new hobby. Though often puzzling and frustrating. Lol.

I just got the Huey too.   :D  Not sure I will get the Kiowa since I have the Gazelle.  But with the Apache too, I can do a variety of chopper mission roles.  (Just don’t have an interest in Russian stuff really.)

Each definitely need their own custom input curve.  I got my Gazelle tuned much better and is much more manageable.   Still need work on my fast landings.  ;)

Starting with this VA profile (https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=1370.0) and will be adding multi-step sequences for stuff like weapons power-on/arming/configuration.  Multi-step macro like “Weapons Hot Rockets”  and VA would power on the weapons systems, set my preferred ripple, arm, reticle down and adjusted, etc.  In VR it will be impossible to refer to cheat-sheets.

I’ve already started opening up and looking at the innards of the mission files and learning the mission editor.  Wanna eventually get into making some campaigns and maybe some interesting out of the box stuff with custom coding.  I’ve been looking at the Liberation source to learn how certain things are handled there.   

For now I am setting up a second machine on my local network the run the dedicated server and Liberation to offload my VR game machine.  Maybe eventually want to play with an on-demand cloud server. 

Oh, and watching all Casmo’s vids. ;)

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2022, 03:06:24 PM »

I just got the Huey too.   :D 

Love the Huey
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2022, 03:10:54 PM »
Love the Huey

Oh and now I see this too. ;)

https://www.skywardfm.com/post/showcase-dcsworld-uh60l-black-hawk-mod

Can't beat free.

Oh, and thanks for the discord link.  By the time I remember it it had expired, but that's OK.  Not sure I want to join anything.  Wouldn't mind mind finding some knowledgeable chopper pilots to learn from on so occasional coop though. 

If some of use get Apache's here we ought to try a coop session or something.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 04:55:01 PM by CptTrips »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2022, 03:50:16 PM »
Hooked.  I haven’t tried flying choppers since the original gunship2000 with mouse and keyboard.
With HOTAS and VR it’s a whole different thing. 

How do they duplicate helicopter controls, which are so different from aeroplane controls?

Son took me flying in a helicopter once.  He said, "You've got it, Dad!"  After about a minute and a half, I said "You'd better take it back."

- oldman

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2022, 04:01:55 PM »

How do they duplicate helicopter controls, which are so different from aeroplane controls?

Son took me flying in a helicopter once.  He said, "You've got it, Dad!"  After about a minute and a half, I said "You'd better take it back."

- oldman

I've never flow a chopper in real life so I can't compare.

CH throttle is my collective.
CHstick is my cyclic.
Rudder peddal are my tail rotar.  Seems pretty close.

The biggest issue is with game controls your stick lengths is so short so a lot harder to get fine control, but careful scaling can make up for that.  (Huey may not need it, but a light nimble Gazelle sure is a lot easier with a little tweaking. )

Guess I need one of these setups:

http://www.helistart.com/Pictures/proflighttrainer3th-gen.jpg

Don't TEMPT ME! :rofl

For me it's just a totally different physics behavior than fixed wing.  You have to think a little differently which makes it interesting.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 04:04:19 PM by CptTrips »

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2022, 05:40:47 PM »
we have real deal pilots that offer training. Well worth the time checking it out
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2022, 08:06:43 PM »
CH throttle is my collective.
CHstick is my cyclic.
Rudder peddal are my tail rotar.  Seems pretty close.

Guess they combine throttle and collective in one.  For me, getting the two to work together was the biggest challenge...in all that 90 seconds of experience, said the old helicopter hand. 

Glad you're enjoying it.

- oldman

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2022, 08:07:55 PM »
Virpil makes helo controls. Looks like pretty good stuff too. $$$tho

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2022, 10:17:34 AM »

Crap. 

Two weeks.   :cool:

Oh well.  I still am finding toys to play with:

https://www.helisimmer.com/news/free-ah-6-littlebird-mod-dcs-available

Also can keep busy learning the mission planner.  Nice.

Besides my heli landings still need practice.  :cool:

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2022, 08:17:45 PM »
Heatblur announces F-4E

https://youtu.be/rQuBI70CbNI

Tempting, but I'd rather have a naval variant.

There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2022, 08:23:59 PM »
Heatblur announces F-4E

https://youtu.be/rQuBI70CbNI

Tempting, but I'd rather have a naval variant.

I saw that.  That could maybe get me into a jet. ;)

Is there a big difference?  Once they have one F-4, innards and all, would a naval varient be that hard?

BTW, I've been training for the Apache.

I can almost land a Huey now.  At least two tries out of three.  :D

Pretty soon I'll be flying like this:  (didn't think you could even get a huey this fast. lol.)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 08:28:47 PM by CptTrips »

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2022, 08:39:31 PM »
I'd rather have a B/J/N/S for carrier ops.

I'm guessing they'll have a pack or mods with all of them in it.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!