Author Topic: The so called "Dueling Arena" is a JOKE!  (Read 6148 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: The so called "Dueling Arena" is a JOKE!
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2021, 06:02:04 AM »
all I got from this thread is we created a map to what you proposed thinking we would have proof but nobody showed up.

so they're bad players who only think about themselves and not about me.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2021, 07:32:48 AM »
all I got from this thread is we created a map to what you proposed thinking we would have proof but nobody showed up.

so they're bad players who only think about themselves and not about me.

That's what confirmation bias does for you.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2021, 08:22:46 AM »
To jog DmonSlayer's memory... I could set it up again, but the results would be the same.

We're running a test exploring configurations for a Furball Arena setup some have proposed.

You can find it on the "Player" tab of the clipboard when you enter the Online section.
Look for "Furball! Free-for-All! Welcome All!".  Just double click that link to enter.

The setup:

Only Bish is spawnable. 
There is one field.
Kill shooter is off.  This is a Free-for-All mode.  Every plane you see, you shoot at, even with green icon.
All planes but the Perk-Monsters are enabled.
No field guns or vehicles are enabled.  Just airplane furballing.
You call launch on the E/W runway, or use the other NW,NE,S launch buttons that are air-spawns around the fight area at 3k.
Disregard the note on the clipboard about the alt of the downdraft (this is a work in progress).  Alt cap downdraft is currently set at 8k.  Subject to further change based on tester input.  We'd like feedback on what you think the alt cap should be.

If we could get some people trying out that configuration, it would be appreciated. 
Leave full set of planes?  Limit to EW/Mid-War?  Explore setting up an hour plane-set rotation?  What are your thoughts?

If you could also add any comments on your impressions to this thread, https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,400266.0.html,
it would be helpful.

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2021, 08:28:26 AM »
The AH2 DA was fine, all it needed was the statistics removing... Who ranks a glorified training arena after all?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2021, 04:13:56 AM »
To jog DmonSlayer's memory... I could set it up again, but the results would be the same.

Two things are becoming muddled into one, DmonSlayer's model of a 'perfect' ACM-arena is really a separate discussion. The OP & I and others would simply be made very happy with the return of the furbal lake or something similar in what we see as the twilight of this game.

For those who don't like the gameplay there - pre-or-post Tempest-event-horizon - simply don't fly there, no one's forcing you too. However the inverse is untrue. Realistically if you want to fight human players your only option presently is the MA where the ACM-aspect largely sucks.

Don't know where the: "it'd have to be populated to be worth doing it" notion comes from. Steal the Sheep mostly (or totally empty), that weird '20-minute Abs' or whatever it's called, mostly (or totally empty), the MA when I checked yesterday 12/1000 places filled, which, let's face it was probably 3 tanks looking for which bush Kilroy's T34 is hiding under, 2-sets of bombers doing milk runs on the stats, 5-players in the tower who fell asleep on their keyboards, and Cybro sitting in his hanger enjoying the peace and quiet).

It's a tiny concession, is all that's being asked for...

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2021, 08:48:26 AM »
Two things are becoming muddled into one, DmonSlayer's model of a 'perfect' ACM-arena is really a separate discussion. The OP & I and others would simply be made very happy with the return of the furbal lake or something similar in what we see as the twilight of this game.

I don't see it as two different things.  I see it as a variation of the same request.  DmonSlayer had just suggested that while adding back something like the furball lake, some modification be made to improve it.  You are both still asking for essentially the same thing as you included the "or something similar" which would encompass DmonSlayers version.

I'm not sure the old furball lake map still exists.  If you were going to have to rebuild it, you might as well consider if there are any modifications or improvements you want to add in while you have your sleeves rolled up.

Realistically if you want to fight human players your only option presently is the MA where the ACM-aspect largely sucks.

That isn't strictly true.  You could spawn a custom arena any time you want and set it up anyway you want.  The trick is, like AvA, or WWI, or Steal the Sheep is  to get anyone to bother going in there.  The AvA has found that having a pre-scheduled event was the best way to drive traffic at least at the specified time.  Any other time besides MNM or Tank Thurs I never saw a soul in there.

If you generated a cohort of players that were willing to meet and have a furball session like you want, you could pick Wed nights or Sunday mornings or such and setup an custom arena and all meet there for a pre-scheduled session.

Don't know where the: "it'd have to be populated to be worth doing it"

If you are referring to my statement, that was not my meaning.  I was just pointing out that setting up the arena is not the hard part.  Getting someone to go in there, is.  If you are claiming you don't mind if no one ever goes in there, that is an odd position.  You can go fly around in an empty Steal the Sheep arena right now.  Hell, just go fly around offline if you don't care about anyone else being there.  But I think you do care.  The point of a furball lake would require more that one person in there or else you might as well just fly circles offline.

So my point was simply to temper DmonSlayer's  tendency to assume that "it's easy!  All you have to do is..." It's often more complicated that he thinks.  There results might not be what he expects. 

That doesn't mean I don't think it should be done.  I think the design we were converging on was a good one, but we couldn't even get enough people in there to really wring it out, even after posting on the forum.

I would remove Western Front, Steal the Sheep off the front tab.
I would remove the Mission tab.
I would move the Events arena to the front tab and remove that tab.
I would change the "Melee" tab to be labeled "HTC Arena" and change the "Player" tab to be labeled "Custom Arena".
I would put a furball lake or something like what we were doing on the front tab and label it "Furball Free-For-All".

I think it's worth trying, I just don't think it's a slam dunk that anyone will spend any time in there.  But I'm a big fan of trying things rather than sit in Analysis Paralysis or Learned Helplessness.  I'm just skeptical of "it's easy!  All you have to do is..."

« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 09:11:39 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2021, 09:27:32 AM »
Perk points...

That seems to be about the only collateral that can be awarded as incentives these days

Give triple points to lure players into the different arena setups

As stated the hard part is to get players into these rooms even if it is at the detriment of MA numbers

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2021, 11:38:13 AM »
I don't see it as two different things. 

The one involves developing a new map (which if memory-serves you already went quite far with), negotiating its configuration (I like fighting on water for example), testing, making it culturally-acceptable and accepted by HTC,  the other likely a two-minute arena-configuration edit (depending on how HiTech rigged it).

I'm not sure the old furball lake map still exists.  If you were going to have to rebuild it, you might as well consider if there are any modifications or improvements you want to add in while you have your sleeves rolled up.

Yes it is the map used for the MPA, when you log in there you are at A1 of the furball lake, the bases are just inaccessible for takeoff.

You could spawn a custom arena any time you want and set it up anyway you want. 

I don't think player-created arenas are ever going to compare to a persistant and officially-hosted HTC map. I already tried this, collaborating with TA57x’s efforts. A lot of new players would come in. Some old friends. Likely if any of the old DA regulars logged on it wasn't there. Imho amogst the remaining MA player base privately-hosted arenas are treated with suspicion, especially if there is a squad-involvement. Mainly, they lack of persistence gives uneven access and doesn't let a culture form there. It is just a supposition, but there was a time the official DA lake had its own regular player-base. But you could be right. Perhaps that time has permanently passed.

If you are claiming you don't mind if no one ever goes in there, that is an odd position.

That's a strangely literal interpretation. My people are more metaphorical. Language-barrier perhaps.  :salute

So my point was simply to temper DmonSlayer's  tendency to assume that "it's easy!  All you have to do is..."

Tricky business, people who know they are right. We all must beware of that.

I think it's worth trying, I just don't think it's a slam dunk that anyone will spend any time in there. 

So full circle back to the earlier suggestion, 2-minutes-ish to change the arena settings and just see what emerges if anything at all.

Well, that's about the best case I can possibly make for what I / we consider a reasonable request. Unless points are challenged with reasonable counter-argument probably a good place for me to leave it.

All the best

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2021, 11:59:02 AM »

So full circle back to the earlier suggestion, 2-minutes-ish to change the arena settings and just see what emerges if anything at all.

I didn't realize that was the old lake map.  Not what I was remembering, but that was 10 years ago.

Nevermind.  It looks like ELO only starts weh nselecting 2v2, etc. (Good gawd that UI behaves so weird.  I never go in there because it is so annoying. It shows you at the lake then even if you spawn on hangar it warps you somewhere else, and after that you can never fully zoom the map back out again.  Offfff.)

If you are just asking to enable those 3 fields with no other changes, that seems like a reasonable step to try. 

(If that can be done in that arena without code changes.  Looks like the MPA has been coded to behave in a "special" way, so I don't know if he can just enable those fields without other changes.  It may have been coded on certain assumptions.)

Good luck.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 12:49:51 PM by CptTrips »

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2021, 05:18:16 PM »
All this talk of furball lake but when dude hosts the furball lake map no one goes in there.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2021, 05:37:42 PM »
All this talk of furball lake but when dude hosts the furball lake map no one goes in there.

We did even post in the forum.   
It might be better on the front tab, but if they won't come to a custom arena to furball, I doubt hiding in the corner of the MPA would fare any better.

But, if all it takes is enabling 3 fields in the config, it would be worth a try.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2021, 06:10:08 PM »
Yeah, if it's not on the front tab, no one is even going to see it...

"Tricky business, people who know they are right. We all must beware of that."

I think experience means a whole lot when you know what you are talking about. The most successful H2H arena had 20+ players in it all furballing it out starting from air spawns. Unfortunately, that lead to H2H being shut down, which was really unfortunate. We've never had arenas like that since. Unfortunately Hitech missed the beauty of that arena that day due to him having to fix the exploit of the system.

When I talk about this being "easy" it's about keeping it simple with regards to these arenas. My ideas are non coadable solutions. Everything I suggest is using what the game offers, and fixing the solution that way. Match Play creation was a far bigger more complex change than I ever thought of. I wasn't expecting an entire revamp like that.The problem is that it just has certain issues that take time to fix, and now it's too complicated..... like not being able to choose your dueling partner, or being swarmed by 3 hurri 1s or something. Not being able to fight somewhere else on the map, ect. It's like all of this complex coading for a Match Play instead of just creating a fun simple quick action fight where you air spawn and fight. To meeee that is pretty damn easy than compared to the current match play.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2021, 06:31:01 PM »

I think experience means a whole lot when you know what you are talking about. The most successful H2H arena had 20+ players in it all furballing it out starting from air spawns. Unfortunately, that lead to H2H being shut down, which was really unfortunate. We've never had arenas like that since. Unfortunately Hitech missed the beauty of that arena that day due to him having to fix the exploit of the system.

I remember that day. It was a 32 player room. people were to busy asking how there was a 32 player room instead of just playing.

TA57 has been hosting furball lake since I came back into the game.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2021, 12:28:27 PM »
I remember that day. It was a 32 player room. people were to busy asking how there was a 32 player room instead of just playing.

TA57 has been hosting furball lake since I came back into the game.

Yeah we were in there a few nights ago. Had some really fun fights with TA and Bixby. Was nice to mix it up a bit from the MA.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2021, 01:31:28 PM »
What about canned messages that would pop up like admin messages about KOTH,  tank night or MNM do that would advertise the different arenas available to the players while they are in MA..have them pop up every so many random minutes apart written in an appealing and interesting way to make you curious

Even a blip about h2h might inspire a few to try it out especially if the action in MA was on the slow side

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals