Author Topic: Buying New Controls  (Read 4605 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: Buying New Controls
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2021, 12:39:02 PM »
Shane....is back? I might have to start flying more regularly than my odd couple-times-a-month visit.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2021, 04:44:42 PM »
damn, until you came back I was the best microsoft sidewinder pilot in the thread

curse you Shane
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2021, 04:57:55 PM »
damn, until you came back I was the best microsoft sidewinder pilot in the thread

curse you Shane

Howdys!  :salute  Heh, but out of curiosity, did/do(?) you struggle with gunnery? I always had to deal with some nose bounce and was never able to smoothen it out when on someone's six, especially when they start panic flopping - the small micro adjustments aren't as smooth as I need them to be.  I think I best ever hit% was around 5-6% where guys like levi, et al were 10 -15%.  :joystick: :bhead

The only FFB forces I ever use are trim, stall and dive buffet. I generally experiment with the trim forces looking for that stability.  I've also played with scaling, dead band and damper.  I'm currently trying no scaling and minimal dead/damp, and getting my usual 3-4%

That's always been my biggest issue, gunnery, not flying per se. And poor choices getting into a hordelet of bogies.  :noid

tdgShane
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2021, 04:59:46 PM »
Shane....is back? I might have to start flying more regularly than my odd couple-times-a-month visit.

howdys!  :salute   Hoping to see the AvA active  :old:  and probably going to do scenarios when they pop up. See you in the skies.  :joystick:

tdgShane
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2021, 05:10:09 PM »

Howdys!  :salute  Heh, but out of curiosity, did/do(?) you struggle with gunnery? I always had to deal with some nose bounce and was never able to smoothen it out when on someone's six, especially when they start panic flopping - the small micro adjustments aren't as smooth as I need them to be.  I think I best ever hit% was around 5-6% where guys like levi, et al were 10 -15%.  :joystick: :bhead

The only FFB forces I ever use are trim, stall and dive buffet. I generally experiment with the trim forces looking for that stability.  I've also played with scaling, dead band and damper.  I'm currently trying no scaling and minimal dead/damp, and getting my usual 3-4%

That's always been my biggest issue, gunnery, not flying per se. And poor choices getting into a hordelet of bogies.  :noid

tdgShane

You're spot on with that.  Strangely I had the sidewinder precision pro without FF before the force feedback version and I found it much more precise. In all seriousness there are clearly many better options these days. I have no real hardware-caused trouble hitting deflection shots but from dead 6 on a fleeing target I have the same problem with micro adjustments you mention.

Having never used a high quality setup I just convinced myself I suck in order to preserve the status of the mighty sidewinder.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2021, 05:50:54 PM »

Having never used a high quality setup I just convinced myself I suck in order to preserve the status of the mighty sidewinder.

alrighty, I guess it is what it is.  :joystick:  Gunnery is overrated anyway when you can fly them into the ground.  :ahand

Never overly cared for the twisty rudder, so finally got some newer TM pedals and they're okay.  Used to have some real robust TM Elite pedals (and Top Gun stick) in AW where stalls were less of an issue, but couldn't get them working with the MS FFB in AH.  I  haven't really seen any newer FFB sticks and I really need that stall shudder (set about 25%) since I couldn't hear the horn and the screen shudder was too minimal to notice/help.