Author Topic: 2007 Redux Part 2  (Read 6430 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: 2007 Redux Part 2
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2022, 08:59:52 AM »
Wag the Dog -- a "fictional" movie that remains relevant, decade after decade.

Yep and most are too ignorant to see it happening under their nose again...

War is proven to have pulled us out of a great depression once ...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2022, 09:55:12 AM »

Neither conflict will provide economic gain for the US.

Neither will prompt the kind of full scale conversion to war-time production that WWII did.

These are regional wars.  We will sanction Russia, but they are pretty much used to living in a permeant state of economic sanction so it might not have much effect, but certainly isn't any economic advantage to us.  We might sell a little more LPG to EU, but not enough to make a huge difference to our economy.   We can't physically transfer enough of it to make much difference. We have no pipeline to the EU and there is only so much you can carry over is ships.

A conflict with China over Taiwan will not last long enough to need war-time conversion of the economy.  And economic sanction against China will harm us almost as much as it does them.   That's not to say we shouldn't sanction both, it just means there is not economic gain for us in either scenario.

In both cases, it will not lead to the economic revitalization that WWII prompted.  It will look more like the economic drag that the cost of the Vietnam War had, that led to the economic "Malaise" and inflation of the 1970's.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2022, 10:35:50 AM »

Eagler

weren't we at war in 2008 or 2009?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2022, 11:57:38 AM »

Eagler
[/quote

Modern wars won’t last long enough to have a positive significant economic impact. Also remember, the Russians have the capability of using conventional means of hitting the US mainland. I think we spent to much time fighting goat herders and most Americans are unawares that countries exist that are capable of making things in our next of the woods go boom.

Chuikov

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2022, 12:20:26 PM »
weren't we at war in 2008 or 2009?

semp

If you don't understand the difference of what was then and what is now I can't help you

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2022, 01:09:28 PM »
If you don't understand the difference of what was then and what is now I can't help you

Eagler

Can you explain to me how applying economic sanctions on Russia will pull us out of the coming recession?   Specifically?
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eviscerate

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2022, 01:13:34 PM »
Can you explain to me how applying economic sanctions on Russia will pull us out of the coming recession?   Specifically?
I doubt it.  :rofl

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2022, 01:47:51 PM »

Eagler

you still thinking of ww2. that helped.  but no other war has helped us pull out of a recession. wars now a day are good for some people, they become rich.  the average Joe may get a good paying job but the numbers are skewed because we are spending billions of dollars in wars and shows a booming economy but it's just numbers, the average Joe with a good job is paying for all those products that we are basically burning.

take for example me,  I was in the marines, the job I had was given to another guy who made several times what I did. that's how government friends made money.  private contractors are paid much more.

what you do now is speculate based on current government. but if you look at past trends you are relying on the wrong 0eople and you misunderstanding of current situation.

semp

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2022, 02:28:27 PM »

Never said it would..but lets start with 8500 boots on the ground and go from there...

I am saying that if the country and or globe turns to financial ruin a war will be spun up to pull us all out of the quagmire

A nice conventional war ... maybe with a terror based element impossible to defeat like the last ones we were in

Especially if the petrol dollar collapses further the US will have to show strength in an attempt to keep the dollar king

Once it's dethroned and the average joe dumbarse  loses his bloated life style the war will be in country - ours

Eagler

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2022, 06:12:26 PM »
Never said it would..but lets start with 8500 boots on the ground and go from there...

I am saying that if the country and or globe turns to financial ruin a war will be spun up to pull us all out of the quagmire

A nice conventional war ... maybe with a terror based element impossible to defeat like the last ones we were in

Especially if the petrol dollar collapses further the US will have to show strength in an attempt to keep the dollar king

Once it's dethroned and the average joe dumbarse  loses his bloated life style the war will be in country - ours

Eagler

Lol, so the US is making Russia attack Ukraine so we can then go to war against them to improve the economy and then start a civil war in the US so they can force us all to get vaccinated.  Lol... :noid

You should stop posting.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2022, 09:03:46 PM »
Wag the Dog isn't about improving the economy.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2022, 09:43:56 PM »
Wag the Dog isn't about improving the economy.

it's just a book.  the funny thing about books is that you can pick any book and make it fit into the current, past or future situation.

i can think of how the lion king can fit right into our present time.

semp

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2022, 12:10:22 PM »
it's just a book.  the funny thing about books is that you can pick any book and make it fit into the current, past or future situation.

i can think of how the lion king can fit right into our present time.

semp

True, one can read stuff into anything.

But some books are written to more specifically explore societal/governmental angles, such as 1984, The Mandibles, Altas Shrugged, Primary Colors, Brave New World, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, The Handmaid's Tale, and so on.

Despite being just books, some of those are influential to people's thinking.  The Bible, the Qur'an, the Torah, The Communist Manifesto, Common Sense, and On the Origin of Species are all books.

Media and the education system are major ways people are influenced.  Books and movies are part of that.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2022, 12:40:04 PM »
first time I heard of 1984 was in 1984. ever since then I come up every couple of years about how it applies to whatever year.

20 years ago people were quoting nostradamus. 2 years ago it was the Manchurian candidate.

it all depends on which book has become popular over the years.  1984 is at the top and its been since 1984.

semp

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2022, 01:48:17 PM »

Oh, that incredible, innovative, stable store of value that can't be diluted by central bank money printing.  Keep your wealth safe!

Oh, brave new world!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/crypto-collapse-erases-more-than-1-trillion-in-wealth-forcing-a-reckoning-for-everyday-investors/ar-AAT8lXj