Author Topic: AI system  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: AI system
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2022, 03:30:48 PM »
There's games where they add AI players if there's not enough humans to fill the arena.

I guess a certain percentage of AI players with various skill sets and not too obvious names wouldn't harm.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2022, 03:41:36 PM »
There's games where they add AI players if there's not enough humans to fill the arena.

I guess a certain percentage of AI players with various skill sets and not too obvious names wouldn't harm.

Pretty much what I've advocated for in past threads:  Certain percentage of AI players, decreasing proportionally as human players enter the area or zone.  Increasing as human players leave the area. 

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2022, 07:33:09 AM »
Well if oboe can't get a map added to the ma rotation I doubt any new coding changes are going to happen...sadly

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2022, 08:09:59 AM »
I have ran plenty of AI missions in the SEA.

As of now, I only use them for bomber missions, Because I feel like AI fighters are not the road we should be going down, at least in special events.

To me, the AI offers new objectives for event designers. AI offers historically sized bomber formations, that travel at historical speeds - without the warping and lagging of human trios.

And as the numbers decline, It also allows humans to avoid flying bombers they may not like to fly in events.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2022, 12:34:45 PM »
Don't fly in DCS but in IL2 they use AI online in certain setups. Mostly flights of bombers to attack or defend. Same with C-47s and JU-52s dropping supplies or paratroopers. There's a mission planner I haven't messed with that's a pretty powerful tool to make setups you can use either offline or online as a co-op mission where you and some buds can attack a target or area and the AI defend. Lots of them to download on their forums. Good for practice. At ace level the NME AI there can be pretty tough! Bomber gunners make ours look like amateurs. Deadly. Trains are even worse! The friendly AI, no matter the setting, are next to useless tho IMO. If you're the leader you can control what they do somewhat. Order them to attack a ground or air target--they might. But usually just fly around. Really annoying if you could use a clear!

In short I don't think any sim like ours has the whole AI thing down. I'd rather fly against real peeps anyway. Hundreds like the old days would be just great!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2022, 09:00:00 AM »
Does anybody ever suggest AI tanks or GVs?   IIRC Microsoft Fighter Ace had AI ground units, which would spawn and advance toward a target objective in response to a friendly air attack on the objective?

I wonder if coding an AI tank subroutine is more difficult than an airplane - the driver would need to avoid so many trees. 

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2022, 09:58:27 AM »
Does anybody ever suggest AI tanks or GVs?   IIRC Microsoft Fighter Ace had AI ground units, which would spawn and advance toward a target objective in response to a friendly air attack on the objective?

I wonder if coding an AI tank subroutine is more difficult than an airplane - the driver would need to avoid so many trees.
Hmmm you got me to thinking. I do not remember any AI. My memory back that far is like a steel trap though..... rusted shut. LOL
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2022, 11:59:30 AM »
Hmmm you got me to thinking. I do not remember any AI. My memory back that far is like a steel trap though..... rusted shut. LOL

LOL, I think I only dabbled in FA, but I thought I remembered reading that if you mounted an air attack against an objective, AI ground units would spawn and attack the objective as well.  I thought that was a clever use of AI.

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2022, 12:14:55 PM »
LOL, I think I only dabbled in FA, but I thought I remembered reading that if you mounted an air attack against an objective, AI ground units would spawn and attack the objective as well.  I thought that was a clever use of AI.

I came here from FA. I played FA for quite some time. I do not remember that though.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2022, 01:06:26 PM »
From CombatSim.com's 1999 review of Fighter Ace II, here: https://www.combatsim.com/review.php?id=606

FAII sports the same basic "furballs R us" online arenas as its predecessor, plus one great new addition: the Territorial Combat arena. In this arena, ground acquisition is the goal.
Each country has limited resources, based on ground installations held (and not destroyed), referred to as "scenes".   AI controlled tanks roll across the landscape to attack or defend scenes, triggered by the players' air to mud attacks.   
Tanks are the only ground vehicles active in the beta, but trains are trucks are scheduled to be added later.

Guess it was implemented in one of the arena's, not all.

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2022, 01:23:22 PM »
The TC (Territorial Combat) arena spawned a column of AI tanks from the nearest factory once a field was triggered. They needed to be killed before they arrived to the field or it would be captured. You could also destroy tank factories IIRC, causing them to have to drive farther to capture giving you more time to kill the tanks.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2022, 03:39:16 PM »

I don't believe it's possible with the current system.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2022, 04:42:34 PM »
From CombatSim.com's 1999 review of Fighter Ace II, here: https://www.combatsim.com/review.php?id=606

Guess it was implemented in one of the arena's, not all.

Ahh this may be after I left FA.
80th FS "Headhunters"