Author Topic: Oldtimer review on coming back  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: Oldtimer review on coming back
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2022, 05:31:30 PM »
TrakIR is good, VR is better, MUCH better.
  If my tax return turns out to be what it says it will it will certainly expedite my return by about 120 days.  That'll get my oculus, my ch gear then it's a matter of saving for for about 180 days for my gaming rig which I'm planning on dumping a toejam ton of money in.  And I'll still suck LOL
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline FupDuck

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2022, 07:16:53 PM »
I, myself, am back after many years, 8 or so I guess, and I feel  your pain on the learning curve. I can't exactly say my gunnery sucks this time. It's more like my gunnery still sucks. Have yet to find how to make my mic work. What I can find about voice settings is that they are out of date. So if I don't talk to you, don't take it personal. I'd  rather fly than read up on voice settings.

Offline Mothman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2022, 09:15:39 PM »
Like Eagler said, just put your time in and your will get better. Keep head on a swivel and do not rely on others to give you a check six. It's great when it happens but you are looking at a 40/60 split. All the best ~S~ Mothman  :airplane: 

Oh... side Note: if a hanger is camped do not come out 30+ times try 2-3 times if that doesn't work try another base. Seems like these days people get addicted to getting camped and scream on 200 why its a problem or blame Dale for the design flaw.  :bhead

Anyone know where the post it... heard Peanut was selling gear.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2022, 10:34:53 PM »
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2022, 02:24:54 AM »
and... my gunnery sucks..

Regarding shooting; it is more psychological than technical when you have the Yips. it is analogous to driving a car or motorcycle through fast, sweeping bends. Although there is a temporal decoupling in that you are driving to a point you already saw some time ago and are now looking through the subsequent curves, if you’ve preloaded your consciousness properly then a good driver can put the edge of his tyre within an inch of the apex, reliably at 60-m.p.h. say. That's extraordinary when you think about it.

The inverse is similarly true: hence the phenomenon of hitting a grid or man-hole cover on a wet road: if your consciousness is pre-loaded, ‘fixated’ with that then you will converge right to it even though you know logically it is a bad idea.

With aerial gunnery if you’ve become convinced you have bad gunnery then your subconsciousness will certainly help support your fixation. In archery they call this gold-shy. If you think you will miss you will to the point where some archers struggle to even aim at the gold (it’s yellow, but yellow shy-sounds like some executive relief game they play in Amsterdam on a Friday night for €146/hour).

I have an exercise for you. Next time you’ve found a fair fight, employed superior ACM to a high standard and have earned a nice, honest, no-pick shot opportunity, I want you to make your preparations as you normally would with the caveat that just a few moments (let’s say seven, not three) before you actually fire you close your eyes and squeeze the trigger calmly. 

So in other words you’ve lined up your shot, your gunsight is converging to the point or path in space you know is correct, you are peripherally tracking your target flying into that point / path,  you can and you see or feel a shooting solution unfolding, relax knowing you've done all the work diligently, close your eyes and squeeze the trigger when you feel is appropriate. Afterwards have a look what happened. You have nothing at all to lose since the method you're employing now is not working. Get rid of expectations.

There’s a second stage to this exercise involving sports Psychology including an explanation of how this comes to be but just go and give this a try for a week and let me know. I think you might find the experience interesting.

:banana:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2022, 06:23:12 AM »
Welcome back!

This AH Wiki might help: http://oracledba.help/app/ww2planes
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2022, 07:28:00 AM »
I find flying and shooting where they will be helps

Sometimes your lead has to be adjusted due to many factors

Many of my kills are blind shots shooting where they should be by estimating their flight path and speed

VR made this 20x easier for me

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2022, 01:49:18 PM »
I've noticed an improvement in gunnery. Slight  but  an  improvement none the less.  My yips are in deadon six shots. If the first shot is off, the yips  commence

Tracking shots, no yips. But finding my lead is no where enough most of the time. That and I guess wrong where the con will pop out. Getting better tho...
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2022, 12:31:39 PM »
It makes it very hard if not impossible to go back to a monitor for me...even a LG 34UC79G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide IPS Gaming Monitor with 144Hz Refresh Rate

So let me ask this question about monitors in the game and SA. VR vs TrackIR and what are the pros vs cons in a game like AH, DCS, etc...? Especially where situational awareness is very necessary. Hell I remember my first fights way back in Air Warrior days and how I didn't know where anyone was until I was hanging in a chute.

I haven't played in almost as much time as nopoop; I have a 49" Samsung gaming monitor and love it when I am playing DCS occasionally with TrackIR. I feel like VR might get me lost; especially since I don't want to drop the $$$ on it since I have a nice TrackIR setup with a wireless IR portion mounted on my headset. I don't mind getting my teeth kicked down my throat in the game for a bit but I definitely don't want to have to drop another few hundred bucks on equipment until I feel it is necessary.

Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2022, 01:35:30 PM »
I was using trackir on my 34" monitor before going vr

You lose resolution in vr but not sa

AH still uses hat views with vr where dcs and il2 do not

The feeling of being inside the cockpit,  the razor edge fights possible more than make up the loss of resolution IMO

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2022, 01:44:34 PM »
Resche, I'm one of the few that tried VR, and went back to tir.

VR is incredible with it's immersion. Sitting in the plane, and looking out at three dimensional planes is incredible. What killed VR for me was having to use a hat switch to look back, and trying to track the target without losing it.

I'm sure that I will be going back to VR in the future, as FoV improves, and maybe they make the view scalable, like it is in tir. For now I'm sticking with tir and a 43" 1440 monitor.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2022, 03:27:03 PM »
So let me ask this question about monitors in the game and SA. VR vs TrackIR and what are the pros vs cons in a game like AH, DCS, etc...? Especially where situational awareness is very necessary. Hell I remember my first fights way back in Air Warrior days and how I didn't know where anyone was until I was hanging in a chute.

I haven't played in almost as much time as nopoop; I have a 49" Samsung gaming monitor and love it when I am playing DCS occasionally with TrackIR. I feel like VR might get me lost; especially since I don't want to drop the $$$ on it since I have a nice TrackIR setup with a wireless IR portion mounted on my headset. I don't mind getting my teeth kicked down my throat in the game for a bit but I definitely don't want to have to drop another few hundred bucks on equipment until I feel it is necessary.

VR is indescribable. There's just something about strapping into a cockpit and taking off and it's like you can reach out and touch the controls. After playing a decent amount of VR mode in AH and MSFS, I will say that I find MSFS to be more enjoyable, or maybe relaxing is the better term. That's just to your point about SA - AH requires more SA than puttering around in a Cessna 172.

My only 'gripe' is not having some sort of scalable head position where you don't have to literally look behind you to see behind you, but hey, realism. The hat switch trick helps a bit with this issue, just takes some getting used to.

I guess my other gripe is not really being able to drink while the headset is on. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2022, 03:59:41 PM »
VR is indescribable. There's just something about strapping into a cockpit and taking off and it's like you can reach out and touch the controls. After playing a decent amount of VR mode in AH and MSFS, I will say that I find MSFS to be more enjoyable, or maybe relaxing is the better term. That's just to your point about SA - AH requires more SA than puttering around in a Cessna 172.

My only 'gripe' is not having some sort of scalable head position where you don't have to literally look behind you to see behind you, but hey, realism. The hat switch trick helps a bit with this issue, just takes some getting used to.

I guess my other gripe is not really being able to drink while the headset is on. :)

Wait.... what? Well that kills VR for me.  :furious
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2022, 04:16:01 PM »

Well hell Spikes killed another VR sale. If I can't grab my stainless steel tumbler with Sapphire and Tonic and have a swig while playing a game I'll never buy one.
 :cheers: :airplane: :joystick:
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2022, 05:05:20 PM »
Well hell Spikes killed another VR sale. If I can't grab my stainless steel tumbler with Sapphire and Tonic and have a swig while playing a game I'll never buy one.
 :cheers: :airplane: :joystick:

Could be time to check into the Camelbak hydration system....