Author Topic: Very disappointed with Combatsim.com,Dogfiter and SimHQ.com  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
None of these favorites that I visit have had  one speck of a story regarding Aces High since  the release of the 1.02 version with ground vehicles.

Yet they report on WW2 online that is still a dream not even in beta.

Kinda disappointing, wanted to send a few stories to friends back east instead of writing one myself, but alas, no one at these places seems to be interested in writing about AH.  Though I see alot of editors enjoying the sim, whats up guys?

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
I./JG2~Richthofen~
=CO=Panzer Group Afrika-15th Panzer division
JG2 Communications Officer
Aces High Training Corps

JG2 "Richthofen"

Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.  Remember, when
someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it
only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm, grasp the joystick button,
and shoot the sucker down!

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 05-03-2000).]

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Very disappointed with Combatsim.com,Dogfiter and SimHQ.com
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2000, 10:26:00 AM »
RIP ! Your registered on this BB the same time as me, yet, you have 200 posts more...... DO WE HAVE THE SAME JOB ???  
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2000, 10:32:00 AM »
for some dumb reason combatsim.com et all prefer to report on the EAW junk that is still coming from that game  

maybe we should hollar at them for publicity

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2000, 10:48:00 AM »
Combatsim has reported it each time a new patch has come out for Aces High.  In addition they reviewed your sim, and gave it high marks.

I'm sorry that I play that "junk" but maybe if AH worked, I'd play it.  As it is, it is incompatible with my Sound Card and my Joystick.  Until these things are fixed, I can't play.  I would suggest not calling other peoples stuff junk, especialy without trying it.  A lot of work has gone into making many of the EAW mods, many of which are excelent.  The AH flight model may be superior, but then I can't run it, so I guess in my case EAW's is superior.  After all it doesn't randomly disable my controls and smash me into the ground, which I'm pretty sure that WWII aircraft did not do.  You people are not inherently superior just because your sim is an online sim as opposed to a boxed sim, so lose the "holy than thou" attitude.

Sisu
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2000, 10:52:00 AM »
Well, before I left, when I was editor a few months at Csim, the longest article I produced was in fact an Aces High review.  I was the Csim staffer who enjoyed AH the most, so I'm not sure if the guys there are too busy or just not interested.  I'm sure anything newsworthy is of interest to all the sim sites, it's just a matter of keeping track of everything going on in every single game.  I.E. if you don't play game "x" regularly, you aren't aware of changes, etc.

Regarding EAW at Combatsim:  Csim is EAW Mecca, and if you notice the 40,000 posts in the EAW forum since November 99, you might begin to understand why.

I know Dogftr in AH is a dedicated correspondant for Dogfighter.com (IMO the best online prop-sim site around).  Why not ask him what's up next time you see him.  I'm sure if he isn't already working on something, he will be shortly.

I used to speak to HiTech at least once a week to get information on what was going on in AH, so it wasn't like Csim didn't cover or wasn't interested in what was going on.  I know SPoons and Crash from SimHQ really love AH, and they both have spent a fair bit of time in it.  It takes a lot to punch out a decent article, especially when you consider you have about 50 other current and upcoming titles to worry about.

[This message has been edited by Gman (edited 05-03-2000).]

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2000, 11:05:00 AM »
Good troll karnak! Should be good for a...30+ message reply thread.

If it isn't a troll, for Gods sake download Direct X7(a) and update your soundcard drivers. All that fussing really isn't worth it.

If that doesnt work, do you own a boat? I ya do,  go buy 18 feet of chain, and attach your joystick to it. Might come in handy for a anchor.

Logitech Digital sticks are slick and work great in AH, as well as the Saitek USB.
Mine didn't work until DirectX 7(a).

And as for EAW, I agree. It's a incredible product. Two completley diffrent products, both are excellent for what they do. I'm not so turned off by Combatsim.com's articles, is the horrid layout and new graphical look of the site.

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2000, 11:05:00 AM »
Ripsnort I for one am working on an  new Aces High article.

Also  know that  www.dogfighter.com
has reported every  change that HTC has implemented.

Please rest assured, Aces High has not been forgotten or ignored  by Dogfighter.com.

If you have any questions or concerns please dont hesitate to e-mail us
at   info@dogfighter.com Or e-mail me personally at
 baddawg@dogfighter.com
------------------
Aces High Correspondent for  www.dogfighter.com      

[This message has been edited by Baddawg (edited 05-03-2000).]

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2000, 11:15:00 AM »
Karnak,
I think you might have over-reacted just a bit there, but its ok, we all have passions for the sims we fly the most.

I personally like both sims, although most of my time now is spent in AH.

Have you tried posting your sound card and joystick issues on the Technical Board to see if anyone might have some suggestions to help?

As one of the "you people", I don't consider myself inherently superior, after all I came over from FA (yikes).

I can say this community is always willing to help if there are technical issues standing in the way of getting AH going.  

As a matter of fact, not too long ago, this community rallied around to help someone who needed a new vid card to continue to enjoy this sim.  Multiple offers to supply cards came unsolicited.  One of the best things I have seen online or offline in a good long while.

And BTW, WWII aircraft were subject to random mechanical failures.

Again, try posting on the Technical Board.  Maybe it can help.

Cobra
Musketeer Escadrille

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2000, 11:19:00 AM »
 I think that alot of the article submitted to each of the online 'zines' are from the general public too.

Dogfighter (and I've seen Combatsim do the same) uses submissions for articles and I beleive they try to recruit a correspondant from each sim to do write ups and articles on it for them. If a correspondant submits more for brand XX it's only a reflection of that correspondant either having alot more time on thier hands write, or maybe more is happening in that sims world and possibly the write is one of the lucky few who have the gift of free flowing "werds" and it's not as much an effort (writing is like going to the dentist for me).

Other than that. I agree. There's a damn shortage of AH "papaganda" out there!  

-Westy

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2000, 11:21:00 AM »
Oh, I know about the update "snippets", but they don't report  on whats going on in the sim from a first person perspective.  Thanks all for replies, just was wondering if ya'll thought the sim was not worthy of a good long article (as described by Gman)  Hey Gman, I assume that the article that you wrote was almost or totally complete, how come they won't publish it even though you don't work there?  Or was it your choice?

funked

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2000, 11:24:00 AM »
Sim-Bashing Sucks.

Stop It.

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2000, 11:27:00 AM »
wasn't there a guy in here on the UBB who was researching or writing something about AH a few weeks ago? Wasn't he trying to get a feel of the community or something? i can't remember who it is or where he/she was from.

mas

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2000, 11:29:00 AM »
We have 2 folks on JG2 squad  that write for online.com mags...Gman and Crash, haven't seen Crash for some time now, and Gman no longer works for Combatsim.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2000, 11:50:00 AM »
Yes, all my drivers are up to date.  Yes, I use DX7a.  My stick is plugged into a gamecard, not the soundcard.  Yes, I have posted for help in the technical help areas of this forum.  No, none of the suggestions had any effect.  I'm not replacing a $300 joystick setup and a $200 sound card with a $75 joystick and a $30 soundcard just to play one game.  If this proves to be a problem in the future, I'll look at the new ThrustMaster USB HOTAS setup coming out later this year.

Sisu

[This message has been edited by Karnak (edited 05-03-2000).]
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline maik

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301.de
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2000, 01:39:00 PM »
plz give us ur system specs in detailm, and post them in the Hard and Software - Forum.

I am sure the HTC and the community is willin' to help you out, like we helped each others always since beta days, even after posts like this.

If you already did that, sorry I didn't get it, plz do it again.

I also wanna 2nd funked's post.

Maik

[This message has been edited by maik (edited 05-03-2000).]