Author Topic: What Ruined The O'Club?  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Gogolinius

• Zinc Member
What Ruined The O'Club?
« on: April 28, 2022, 06:09:42 AM »
Back in the day, this was a fertile land, both for humor as well as for the trolling of simple minds.

Today, it feels like a battlefield after the smoke has cleared, with the only ones left alive being those who either ducked and hid during the artillery barrages, or those greenhorn replacements who were sent in to clean up afterwards.

So the question is... What happened? Did Skuzzy eliminate everyone worth a damn, or did everyone worth a damn just find something better to do? A combination of the two, perhaps?

Or is the community simply not what it was when this game was still relevant?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: What Ruined The O'Club?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 07:36:27 AM »
Methinks your 'worth a damn' meter never really worked.  :cool:

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 08:35:50 AM »
Back in the day… when was that? February 2022?
Hmmm ‘trolling of simple minds’

While your pointing your finger around looking for faults, remember you have four other fingers pointing someplace.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 08:48:35 AM »
In my opinion it was an over reaction in moderation.  Back in the day, before FW split off, this was a great forum.  There were a ton of interesting conversations from knowledgeable people.  As happens in every forum at some point there were certain individuals who felt entitled to push boundaries and they kept doing so until Skuzzy went overboard and locked down almost every conversation that showed a hint of debate.  In the end we have what we have now.  Most of the kind of people you want on a forum left and most of the few left are the ones you don't want.  That is the cycle of life in internet forums.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 08:52:19 AM »
Methinks your 'worth a damn' meter never really worked.  :cool:

Agree

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 08:53:33 AM »
Skuzzy sure did a good job if the bad boys haven't returned after his retirement.

BTW what's the idea of trolling simple minds?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 08:53:33 AM »
Most of the kind of people you want on a forum left and most of the few left are the ones you don't want.

I'd venture to say most of the kind of people YOU want left. This is a business and what they did way back whenever was a business decision. Personally, the peace and quiet is nice. If you don't like it, you are free to leave.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 09:13:24 AM »
Woke and the threat of being cancelled by the expanding social media influence is what killed it. Purely a CYA.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 09:16:32 AM »
Had many back and forth threads concerning the 2000 election and its hanging chads and again in 08 when the chosen one there won over experience...lol

I don't recall the restrictions then that posts are subject to now...

My guess is that there is a fear we might chase the sensitive types away from the game and hurt business

Our skin seems to get thinner with each passing year..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 09:18:33 AM »
Had many back and forth threads concerning the 2000 election and its hanging chads and again in 08 when the chosen one there won over experience...lol

I don't recall the restrictions then that posts are subject to now...

My guess is that there is a fear we might chase the sensitive types away from the game and hurt business

Our skin seems to get thinner with each passing year..

Eagler

March 2006 – March 2007   Twitter launches as a product of parent company Odeo. It grows slowly until March 2007, where usage grows dramatically after it is showcased at the South by Southwest Interactive (SXSW) conference.
April 2007 – October 2008   Twitter grows rapidly under CEO Jack Dorsey, completing two funding rounds and launching official support for hashtags.

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 09:21:33 AM »
You go and look at FB timeline also. 

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2022, 09:23:40 AM »
Woke and the threat of being cancelled by the expanding social media influence is what killed it. Purely a CYA.
lol, I doubt HT is afraid be being 'cancelled by social media'.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2022, 09:35:28 AM »
As far as the folks who went to FW are concerned. A fair number of them left there as well. There is always someone who just has to toss a turd un the punchbowl and spoil it for others. That applies here, FW and the new ice cream forums. Some folks just do not know how to get along with others.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2022, 09:42:09 AM »
lol, I doubt HT is afraid be being 'cancelled by social media'.

HT doesn't have 230 protections,  extrapolate from there.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2022, 10:27:39 AM »
ME :x
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario