Author Topic: New Hotas, what to map to it?  (Read 1991 times)

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
New Hotas, what to map to it?
« on: May 05, 2022, 12:42:31 PM »
Have not used a Hotas, now have a Thrustmaster TWCS and getting a VKB Gladiator stick soon. What do y'all map to a Hotas for functions in game?  I heard about using the wheel on it for Trim, not sure how to use it.

Also for any GV play, what do you use to steer, move forward and back, aim shoot, change type of shells, etc? I have been using my keyboard and stick, but want to get away from using he keyboard as much as possible. ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 01:06:07 PM by HamrDown »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: New Hotas, what to map to it?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 12:52:54 PM »
My advice is set up the most important functions where they are easy and comfortable and make sense to you. Leave most of them unassigned. Add assignments as you need them. This makes it easier to remember them, you don't have to learn 40 commands at one time, and it's easy to reassign the basic commands if you don't like your first choice.

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 01:07:38 PM »
Good advice. Thanks! Do you have one and what do you map to Hotas vs stick, for instance the flaps?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 02:32:43 PM »
Put trim on an axis then tie it to a rotor

Another button to turn on/off combat trim

Spin the trim all the way up once calibrated

When needed hit the button to turn off CT which then has trim maxed out...helps in t&b fights

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 02:54:28 PM »
OK, so map buttons to toggle combat trim on/off, then how to use the dial to set trim, I assume for elevator? (need more specifics please) :)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 03:34:50 PM »
On a vehicle I use my rudder pedals to steer and stick to aim gun. For flight a have views set to a hat switch. Other controls are gear up/down, fuel tanks, primary/secondary weapons, one button set for switch so when you hold it, the other buttons secondary setting becomes active. More controls.... flaps, zoom, etc.

Some are for vox channels....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 03:36:36 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 06:07:32 PM »
OK, so map buttons to toggle combat trim on/off, then how to use the dial to set trim, I assume for elevator? (need more specifics please) :)

Yes elevator
I use 1600 for throttle and its left rotor is trim
Go into ah config and select the rotor and assign elevator trim to it.
Pick a button for ct on/off as it will go to trim wheel setting when off
Be sure to calibrate rotor in ah .. you should see the trim max out when you disable ct

Practice required to operate properly

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 06:55:03 PM »
Good advice. Thanks! Do you have one and what do you map to Hotas vs stick, for instance the flaps?

One issue is what do you use for views?

If you use hat views then you can use hats on the stick and throttle together to combine views. Or you can just use an "up" button along with the view hat. If you use track IR or VR you only need a couple of hat views but you can still use all of them.

If you use manual trim for elevator trim you just adjust it to point your nose up or down as needed. Auto trim overrides manual trim so you can use both. I have a stick hat with all the auto pilot modes on it plus combat trim. I also have manual trim but it's not required, it's mostly extra work.

If you use VR you can map mouse clicks to the HOTAS.

Look through the control mappings and see what is available but don't be in a hurry to map everything.

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 07:33:17 PM »
I use track IR for views, and use Voice Attack for a lot of other commands, like zoom toggle, wep, etc. I highly recommend voice attack.x

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 07:54:31 PM »
I have the dial set to Analog Trim Elevator, I calibrated the axis, and have a button for CT on/off. When I turn off CT trim, I turn the dial up in level flight and nothing happens, I would expect the nose to go up as i dialed out, hmmm... :bhead
Yes elevator
I use 1600 for throttle and its left rotor is trim
Go into ah config and select the rotor and assign elevator trim to it.
Pick a button for ct on/off as it will go to trim wheel setting when off
Be sure to calibrate rotor in ah .. you should see the trim max out when you disable ct

Practice required to operate properly

Eagler

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 07:55:43 PM »
I have the dial set to Analog Trim Elevator, I calibrated the axis, and have a button for CT on/off. When I turn off CT trim, I turn the dial up in level flight and nothing happens, I would expect the nose to go up as I dialed out, hmmm... :bhead

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2022, 07:59:24 PM »
I have the dial set to Analog Trim Elevator, I calibrated the axis, and have a button for CT on/off. When I turn off CT trim, I turn the dial up in level flight and nothing happens, I would expect the nose to go up as I dialed out, hmmm... :bhead
[/quote

Yay it is now working. :D

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2022, 09:45:29 PM »
You can set the analog trim for dive bombing in the TA with the green practice cross, leave it set then use it in the main arena using Combat Trim until it's time to dive.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 06:20:31 AM »
I use one of the front buttons for straight up 12 o'clock high view

One hat is map with map zoom in and out

I don't use the teeder totter thingy in the front for anything

There is a mod sold on etsy that will give the throttle an indented feel if you need it

Bottom button is gear

The square button is check six one way and view damage the other

Another button is radio up or down as I use vr and use it to type

Eagler

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2022, 10:44:33 AM »
If you're using TIR will be a good idea to map at least center tracker to something. Want to say it's ctrl+F4. And pause tracking, think that one is ctrl+F5. I'd guessed center was alt+F4 once before. Yeah, DON'T use that one!   :D
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group