Author Topic: The Great Unwinding  (Read 14027 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Great Unwinding
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2022, 02:08:48 PM »
I own Scotland
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2022, 02:13:45 PM »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline decoy

• Nickel Member
      • Clay Mercer on the web
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2022, 03:35:19 PM »

The Fed was created in 1913.  The Fed didn't avoid the 1929 crash, or the resulting Great Depression.  And market volatility has been higher post Fed than pre Fed.

Anyway, nothing I'm talking about here is different from one party to the other.  It's just history and economic reality.

You're correct.  I was wrong.  But the Federal Reserve was created to prevent money supply volatility, just in response to the financial crisis of 1907.

It was the Securities Exchange Commission that came into being following the market crash of 1929. 

I appreciate you pointing out my error.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 06:20:35 PM by decoy »
Rule #1 Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 It's all small stuff.
Rule #3 What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.  Except redheads, they just kill you.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2022, 05:35:15 PM »
I own Scotland

I once lost Australia in a backgammon game.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2022, 06:28:00 PM »
I got Antarctica on the cheap.  :old:

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2022, 07:30:39 AM »
Big dead cat bounce yesterday

Funny how they want a bottom so soon after decades of pumping fed money into the market

They haven't even started QT yet

The bottom is not in sight yet IMHO

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2022, 01:45:59 AM »
 Brooke has a enormous bottom :)

He is not light in his feet though :)

Or behind with the rent  :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2022, 02:14:00 PM »
Another .5 joke of an increase announced today..and the market goes up

Wallstreet has the fed in their pocket

Should have been a 1.0 increase if the goal is taming inflation in the near future

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2022, 02:41:42 PM »
Another .5 joke of an increase announced today..and the market goes up

Well, I expected more pain given all the retail reporting that is doing just as bad as the earlier ones that had a very negative reaction. 

Although a relief rally would not be out of the realm of possibility given the historic 7 straight weeks of decline.

However in June we get a 0.5-0.75% hike AND the start of QT which I've seen as the equivalent of a 0.5-0.75% rate hike. So there might be the effective result of a 1-1.5% hike starting in June and going further.  If that's true, I can understand their fear of going past that in one month.  Though they are in a real hard place because they delayed so long.  They might have to do things they'd prefer not too because they are so late. 

I think they still think they don't have to go down that far and still hope that some of the supply chain tangles get unscrewed and that will help ease inflation as well.

Also, "inflation" is measured YoY.  So they will start getting better numbers over time as out previous year inflation at a given month will already have started rising so the increase will appear numerically lowering in comparison.  So we will soon get to a really annoying time where officially reported "inflation" growth rate will go to 2-4% and the Fed will declare victory, but actual prices will not have lowered at all. 

Regular folks aren't going to care about clever numerical statistic trick.  The will care about no longer being able to afford their groceries like they could a couple of years ago.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2022, 03:48:05 PM »
Brooke has a enormous bottom :)

He is not light in his feet though :)

Or behind with the rent  :)

I am very graceful

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2022, 09:42:55 AM »
There has been a lot of digital and print ink detailing the facade that inflation is "transitory". The reality is that the RATE of inflation is transitory. That can go up and down depending on the amount of "money" that is available in a financial system. The effects of inflation are hardly anything resembling transitory. If it were you would still be able to buy a car for $2700 like in the 60s and a nice 2300 sq ft suburban house would be about $30k like it was in the 60's. Prices tend to follow inflation then wages follow prices yet no one is demanding a return to the 60's wage rates.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2022, 10:07:18 AM »
They are trying to pass additional stimulus to buy votes in November..

They are truly insane or trying to send us into a depression for some reason

Wages are relative to prices

What good is it to make 100k if a car cost 60k and homes are 400k?

Eagler

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2022, 12:50:18 PM »
Blame FDR for implementing policy to save the old and poor folk from starving to death during the 'Great Depression.' Scrooge should have won that election. Less people, more resources. Yay greed.  :D

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2022, 12:59:52 PM »
I wonder how those folks who wanted 15 an hour to flip burgers are doing. I know some lost their jobs as they did not need as many people if they were paying 15. Those that still have jobs are now paying 5 bucks a gallon for gas. Wonder how happy they are now?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2022, 01:12:49 PM »
I wonder how those folks who wanted 15 an hour to flip burgers are doing. I know some lost their jobs as they did not need as many people if they were paying 15.

You 'know' some? Those that are receiving something more akin to a living wage are not struggling as much. The restaurants refusing to pay a better wage are struggling and attempting to blame people for not wanting to work for less. Firing workers is reduced due to the great need for them (though there is a great amount of effort in the industry to mechanize burger flipping which will lose my business).