Author Topic: Roe Overturned  (Read 18080 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Roe Overturned
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2022, 11:44:06 AM »
I've never been rabid on either side of this issue.  Generally I prefer the idea of things being handled at the state level.   

But I guess my first thought is, should slavery be decided at the state level?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2022, 11:49:16 AM »
I've never been rabid on either side of this issue.  Generally I prefer the idea of things being handled at the state level.   

But I guess my first thought is, should slavery be decided at the state level?

The difference is that the constitution gives the federal government power over one but not the other. Prior to the Civil War deciding that authority issue, slavery was up to the states.

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2022, 11:54:11 AM »
What happens to the $500000000 of federal dollars Planned Parenthood is getting? :x :x :x
AkCaine

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2022, 12:01:13 PM »
The difference is that the constitution gives the federal government power over one but not the other. Prior to the Civil War deciding that authority issue, slavery was up to the states.

And prior to overturning Roe Vs. Wade?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2022, 12:03:25 PM »
The difference is that the constitution gives the federal government power over one but not the other.

So you are saying the congress would not have power to pass legislation protecting abortion?  How could they if the federal government has no power over that?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 12:28:46 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2022, 12:31:42 PM »
The liberals making threats will find adults a lot harder to murder than babies.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2022, 12:34:44 PM »
The liberals making threats will find adults a lot harder to murder than babies.

What liberals are threatening to murder anyone (no matter the age)? No, seriously. Where do you get this stuff?

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2022, 12:36:39 PM »
So you are saying the congress would not have power to pass legislation protecting abortion?  How could they if the federal government has no power over that?

Did you read the ruling?  What statements in the majority opinion gave you reason to believe that Congress can not act or a Constitutional Amendment can not be enacted?

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 12:37:50 PM »
For the lulz...

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 12:43:54 PM »
Did you read the ruling?  What statements in the majority opinion gave you reason to believe that Congress can not act or a Constitutional Amendment can not be enacted?

Did you read FLS' post?

The difference is that the constitution gives the federal government power over one but not the other.

So how can Congress make a law regarding abortion if as FLS said the Federal government has no authority over abortion?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 12:52:25 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2022, 12:57:40 PM »

First abortion, next contraception.  ;)

Once you abandon Stare Decisis, all things are possible.   :rofl

I guess that's my main beef with this stuff.  Stare Decisis is fundamentally a Conservative principal.  Abandonment of Stare Decisis is extremist.  Despite recent fads, right-wing extremism is NOT the same thing as Conservatism.  Those are two different things.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2022, 12:58:36 PM »
Did you rad FLS' post?

So how can Federal legislatures make a law regarding abortion if as FLS said the Federal government has no authority over abortion?

So you are saying a Constitutional amendment can not be passed? 

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2022, 01:01:03 PM »
First abortion, next contraception.  ;)

Once you abandon Stare Decisis, all things are possible.   :rofl

I guess that's my main beef with this stuff.  Stare Decisis is fundamentally a Conservative principal.  Abandonment of Stare Decisis is extremist.  Despite recent fads, right-wing extremism is NOT the same thing as Conservatism.  Those are two different things.

So you are saying that Plessy v. Ferguson should not have been overruled?  Is it safe to say that other factors come into play?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2022, 01:06:24 PM »

It's a power left to the states. They will make a show and maybe do something that sounds good like #support abortion.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2022, 01:11:03 PM »
So you are saying that Plessy v. Ferguson should not have been overruled?  Is it safe to say that other factors come into play?

I'm saying extremism isn't the same as conservatism.  And now that the court is packed with extremists, they apparently see no limit to extremist activism.  Seeing no limit to overturning precedents across the board is not a Conservative impulse.