Author Topic: Roe Overturned  (Read 18083 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Roe Overturned
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2022, 01:11:31 PM »
And prior to overturning Roe Vs. Wade?

It was an invalid law because it was repugnant to the constitution.  Even Ginsburg said that it had problems but she didn't put the rule of law first which is the only job of the Supreme Court.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2022, 01:14:50 PM »
So you are saying a Constitutional amendment can not be passed?

But you said Congress can act OR constitutional amendment be passed.  Were you not implying Congress could act simply by legislation?

So just to clarify, do you think Congress has the power to pass legislation (that won't be over-turned) protecting abortion rights.  Or are you saying only a constitutional amendment can do that?
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2022, 01:15:47 PM »
I'm saying extremism isn't the same as conservatism.  And now that the court is packed with extremists, they apparently see no limit to extremist activism.  Seeing no limit to overturning precedents across the board is not a Conservative impulse.

Because you label something "extremist" does not make in fact extremist.  It's your opinion. 

Looking at the other side of your opinion, is a Supreme Court judge being a Constitutionalist an example of extremism?  It kinda seems to me that the people we appoint to be the gate keepers of the Constitution should be Constitutionalists.  So, having a SC judge say that our laws should be based on Constitutional merit instead of idealistically driven activism is a long way from extremism. 

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2022, 01:17:28 PM »
Next batter up?

Contraception.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/24/thomas-constitutional-rights-00042256

Approved by Women for Trump!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 01:19:26 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2022, 01:20:04 PM »
Because you label something "extremist" does not make in fact extremist.  It's your opinion. 

Looking at the other side of your opinion, is a Supreme Court judge being a Constitutionalist an example of extremism?  It kinda seems to me that the people we appoint to be the gate keepers of the Constitution should be Constitutionalists.  So, having a SC judge say that our laws should be based on Constitutional merit instead of idealistically driven activism is a long way from extremism.

So just to clarify, do you think Congress has the power to pass legislation (that won't be over-turned) protecting abortion rights.  Or are you saying only a constitutional amendment can do that?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2022, 01:21:18 PM »
There is no abortion right. It's an abuse of language. There are legal and moral issues with abortion but the right at issue is the right to life. The right to life of the mother is a common pro-abortion argument but the reality of 65 million abortions it that they're mostly for convenience. The right of the father to the life of his child never even enters the conversation.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2022, 01:22:32 PM »
It was an invalid law because it was repugnant to the constitution.  Even Ginsburg said that it had problems but she didn't put the rule of law first which is the only job of the Supreme Court.

Roe vs. Wade was a ruling on the legality of state law. It, itself, wasn't a law. SCOTUS can't pass laws. SCOTUS rules on the legality/legitimacy of laws. The politicized right wing justices all said that RvW was set precedent that they had to interest in during their confirmation hearings, indicating its legitimacy. Then, all of a sudden, it was brought up out of the blue by them to be overturned without a challenge from outside.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 01:39:49 PM by Arlo »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2022, 01:25:53 PM »

Claiming to be a 'Constitutionalist' does not actually equate to being one. Yes, those type of extremists exist.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2022, 01:27:06 PM »

I have downloaded but not yet read the 213 pg decision so I'm not 100% clear on the court's opinion.  I'm certain the court would agree that a constitutional amendment would indeed make it a right.  From what I understand so far, both Congress and state legislatures can now pass laws regarding abortion.  I personally don't have a problem with either though I would prefer it be handled at the state level as Congress has massively overstepped States rights on most every matter.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2022, 01:28:43 PM »
There is no abortion right. It's an abuse of language. There are legal and moral issues with abortion but the right at issue is the right to life. The right to life of the mother is a common pro-abortion argument but the reality of 65 million abortions it that they're mostly for convenience. The right of the father to the life of his child never even enters the conversation.

Is there a right to your being able to make decisions over your body? Is it different for women than men? Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2022, 01:36:21 PM »
Roe vs. Wade was a ruling on the lagility of state law. It, itself, wasn't a law. SCOTUS can't pass laws. SCOTUS rules on the legality/legitimacy of laws. The politicized right wing justices all said that RvW was set precedent that they had to interest in during their confirmation hearings, indicating its legitimacy. Then, all of a sudden, it was brought up out of the blue by them to be overturned without a challenge from outside.

Yes it was a ruling, not a law, if you need to quibble. The rule of law is why it was overturned.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2022, 01:37:25 PM »
Is there a right to your being able to make decisions over your body? Is it different for women than men? Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

You mean like taking a vaccine?

At what point does a fetus stop looking out for itself and need our protection?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2022, 01:38:44 PM »

At what point does the babies life become the dominate issue? Women don't want babies? Fine, don't spread your legs, or at least use contraceptives.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2022, 01:39:56 PM »
You mean like taking a vaccine?

Or adult consumption of cannabis?

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2022, 01:40:09 PM »
Isnt a morning after pill a right to choose ?
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..