Author Topic: Hair brained idea  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
Re: Hair brained idea
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2022, 12:16:19 PM »
Thousands would be good. Even a hundred new gamers would be nice.

I doubt pricing is the problem. It may be the first obstacle but getting shot down for a year is likely a bigger issue.

I posted this idea earlier, but maybe have a dedicated trainer squad per country that all newbs get assigned to.

Chuikov

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2022, 12:29:53 PM »
Oh and this is just my thought, with the economy the way it is, high food and fuel prices etc. Some of you all still insist on HiTech lower his price in some shape or form. Counting himself he has 5 mouths to feed high electricity costs I'm sure. Lowering game price would hurt his income just as sure as losing players. Some of you all are leaving it up to HiTech, to solely to try to get new players.

How many of you have tried your self to get new players. Asked friends family (brothers sisters cousins uncles nieces nephews to play. Coworkers,fellow students, neighbors if you are friends with them. Etc.
I'm going into my 4th month without a computer, my 11 year old computer finally took a dump, but I'm still paying my $16.03 a month in hopes of getting a computer and making a comeback before the year is out.

Roast me if you must (not 1st time hehe) RTB you all take it easy. :airplane:

I'm trying to increase the price... of perking more planes.   :D
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2022, 12:33:12 PM »
Tig, how many perks do you have, just curious?
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2022, 12:59:31 PM »
Tig, how many perks do you have, just curious?

Just broke 100, saving for when I really need them. Which really means Me 163s and 262s for strat defense.
But even then, I'm pretty good about watching sneaky dar bars, I just had a successful mission in a Mossy Mk 6, defending the Knights' AAA strat. Sure enough I found a formation of Lancasters and bounced them. App75's crazy good gunnery wounded me pretty good, but I got one, a teammate got another, and I landed while badly damaged. Then, I proceeded to up from the field that the last Lanc was gunshipping. Managed to nail him while I was still taking off!  :airplane:

Added 2 kills to my Mosquito killstreak, standing at 11 kills and zero deaths in the Mosquito. Double ace woohoo!  :airplane:
Turn n' Burn!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2022, 01:12:32 PM »

I posted this idea earlier, but maybe have a dedicated trainer squad per country that all newbs get assigned to.

It's been debated. New players like videos, even though videos can't tell you what you're doing wrong.

The issues with squads are staffing and newbie interest. Newbies would rather join an established squad than a beginner squad and that also solves the staffing issue.

You can always invite a newbie to join a squad as a temp trainee to learn the basics. Trainers can help with any questions or issues the squad can't answer.

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2022, 07:28:57 PM »
The games UI is one of its biggest problems in my opinion. Its nice in the sense that it allows you to do alot to customize to your liking, but very counter-intuitive and horribly outdated. I've had new people turned away because "It looks like its from the 90s". I think we take it for granted considering lost of us have been playing for nearly a decade.
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2022, 08:29:31 PM »
The games UI is one of its biggest problems in my opinion. Its nice in the sense that it allows you to do alot to customize to your liking, but very counter-intuitive and horribly outdated. I've had new people turned away because "It looks like its from the 90s". I think we take it for granted considering lost of us have been playing for nearly a decade.

You're right about the UI.... on both counts. I like it because you can do pretty much anything. And the dot commands. I mean, so much thought and detail went into this game. I'm still amazed by it. I love having that kind of control. Dale really must be a genius. He put together an amazing game.

I like a challenge and I like top figure things out. My brother is just the opposite. He gives up if something doesn't immediately work like he wants. I know it's a lot for a new player, but it's also rewarding.

One the my favorite things about any game is the multiplayer aspect. Especially a game that requires skill to beat another player. Maybe some kids these days just want to be able to start mowing things down. I don't know.

I wish there could be an easy answer to bring more people into this game. It will be a sad day if this game ever goes away.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2022, 08:55:02 PM »
You're right about the UI.... on both counts. I like it because you can do pretty much anything. And the dot commands. I mean, so much thought and detail went into this game. I'm still amazed by it. I love having that kind of control. Dale really must be a genius. He put together an amazing game.

I like a challenge and I like top figure things out. My brother is just the opposite. He gives up if something doesn't immediately work like he wants. I know it's a lot for a new player, but it's also rewarding.

One the my favorite things about any game is the multiplayer aspect. Especially a game that requires skill to beat another player. Maybe some kids these days just want to be able to start mowing things down. I don't know.

I wish there could be an easy answer to bring more people into this game. It will be a sad day if this game ever goes away.
that’s were the 2 week trial isn’t long enough, but making certain planes free it would allow people time to acclimate to the game. And a newb would getting slaughtered just the same in a P51 vs a Spit1.

Chuikov

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2022, 06:34:06 AM »
Just broke 100, saving for when I really need them. Which really means Me 163s and 262s for strat defense.
But even then, I'm pretty good about watching sneaky dar bars, I just had a successful mission in a Mossy Mk 6, defending the Knights' AAA strat. Sure enough I found a formation of Lancasters and bounced them. App75's crazy good gunnery wounded me pretty good, but I got one, a teammate got another, and I landed while badly damaged. Then, I proceeded to up from the field that the last Lanc was gunshipping. Managed to nail him while I was still taking off!  :airplane:

Added 2 kills to my Mosquito killstreak, standing at 11 kills and zero deaths in the Mosquito. Double ace woohoo!  :airplane:

Excellent! Not bad in the mossie! The Temp is actually the one you want. Its better than the 262, IMO. I was curious to see how many you had as a new guy to show that even a new guy could would be able to spend 5 perks on a super late war plane if he wanted. Plus you only lose them if you die.

I've got about 18,000 perks, not including my first 2 handles. If I only flew perked planes though, the game wouldn't be fun for anyone.   :devil
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 06:50:28 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2022, 07:17:26 AM »
Too bad we cannot give our perks to other folks in game. Even some kind of award for helping do a mission or assist in some plan. You could offer someone a set amount of your perks for helping attack a town or defending a base. That would be nice.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 07:21:25 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2022, 07:39:54 AM »
Excellent! Not bad in the mossie! The Temp is actually the one you want. Its better than the 262, IMO. I was curious to see how many you had as a new guy to show that even a new guy could would be able to spend 5 perks on a super late war plane if he wanted. Plus you only lose them if you die.

I've got about 18,000 perks, not including my first 2 handles. If I only flew perked planes though, the game wouldn't be fun for anyone.   :devil

I uh, actually never noticed that! I always assumed they're spent permanently haha. Of course there was that one time a frikn Wirb blasted my Tempest out of the sky......  :bhead
Turn n' Burn!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2022, 07:48:50 AM »
Too bad we cannot give our perks to other folks in game. Even some kind of award for helping do a mission or assist in some plan. You could offer someone a set amount of your perks for helping attack a town or defending a base. That would be nice.

It would actually provide some incentive to do missions if you could send them 100 perks to join it.

I uh, actually never noticed that! I always assumed they're spent permanently haha. Of course there was that one time a frikn Wirb blasted my Tempest out of the sky......  :bhead

Yup, don't get to close and low to the field with those things haha. You also know about ENY too right? The higher the ENY of the plane, the more perks you get for killing planes with lower ENY. So if you roll a G2 and shoot down a couple of spit16s, you'd get about 15 perks depending on the perk multiplier and if you landed. If vice versa, you'd only get about 2 perks.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2022, 08:01:08 AM »
It would actually provide some incentive to do missions if you could send them 100 perks to join it.

Yup, don't get to close and low to the field with those things haha. You also know about ENY too right? The higher the ENY of the plane, the more perks you get for killing planes with lower ENY. So if you roll a G2 and shoot down a couple of spit16s, you'd get about 15 perks depending on the perk multiplier and if you landed. If vice versa, you'd only get about 2 perks.

Yknow that makes a lot more sense now lol.  :rofl
Turn n' Burn!

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2022, 07:11:52 AM »
Just a thought in my booze addled brain.  How about a 'rookie league' arena?  You have to amass a certain amount of hours in the rookie league to be able to go to the other mains or actively participate in special events.  If you have over those amount of hours you can't go in there unless you're a trainer or a mod.  Also 'rookie league' players could do ride alongs in events etc to get a taste for it.

Then you would have new guys fighting new guys and probably not getting killed over and over and over.  Give them a chance to acclimate, encourage them to go to the TA (when I get back after I'm all comfortable and feel like I have something to contribute I'll spend time in the TA just like I used to) for help from some vets. 

Also I think it's incumbent among vets to actively seek out and help newer players before clubbing them like baby seals.

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2022, 07:17:46 AM »
Just a thought in my booze addled brain.  How about a 'rookie league' arena?  You have to amass a certain amount of hours in the rookie league to be able to go to the other mains or actively participate in special events.  If you have over those amount of hours you can't go in there unless you're a trainer or a mod.  Also 'rookie league' players could do ride alongs in events etc to get a taste for it.

Then you would have new guys fighting new guys and probably not getting killed over and over and over.  Give them a chance to acclimate, encourage them to go to the TA (when I get back after I'm all comfortable and feel like I have something to contribute I'll spend time in the TA just like I used to) for help from some vets. 

Also I think it's incumbent among vets to actively seek out and help newer players before clubbing them like baby seals.

Air Warriors had something like this. Once you used up your time, you werent allowed bullets in there any more. Even after I had used up my time in there I would go back often to be a target for new guys. Give tips and chat with them. Some ended up coming over to The "Mafia" once they moved into the main arenas.

Its a good idea, one mentioned many times years ago when HTC had a full crew and they didnt do it then. I doubt they will do it now.