Author Topic: CUT & PASTE  (Read 4959 times)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: CUT & PASTE
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2022, 08:37:15 AM »
If it was economically feasible it would already be done..

But it isn't and has to be propped up by making oil and nat gas so much more expensive to use by economy killing policies this bunch has shoved down our throat

Eagler

I agree.

Coal, oil and natural gas are far less expensive and they are plentiful.

Wind farms can generate a lot of power, but I've heard that a lot of times they are shut down because the system cannot handle the power - and wind farms do not store power. so that's a lot of waste.

Batteries also are not environmentally friendly. They require a lot of rare materials, mining, manufacturing and shipping. They are far from carbon neutral

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2022, 08:43:05 AM »
Also, windmills require at least 80 gallons of oil and maybe hundreds of gallons of mineral oil. And each windmill requires a pretty large footprint.

If I had the land and the money, I'd buy a windmill. They produce a large amount of power.

There are places where the wind pretty much constantly blows. a lot of them. The wind farms in California near Indio - they always have wind, but whenever I've driven by, maybe half of them are shut down. I suspect because they are feeding too much power into the grid. They have to be shut down.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2022, 09:19:25 AM »
The wind farms in Texas seem to not be producing when you need the power the most. Very disappointing.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2022, 09:43:46 AM »
The last time I drove through Indio was a couple months ago and I videotaped my drive through the area. Well, not videotaped, recorded with my phone whatever that's called. Lol.

First of all it's amazing how big that area is and how many of those windmills are out there. Driving at 75 mph it probably takes 5 to 10 minutes. I'd say at least 10 minutes to drive through the whole area.

It's always windy over there. Anyway, I recorded the drive-thru there because probably half of those windmills are sitting idle.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 09:51:21 AM by -gg- »

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2022, 10:31:13 AM »
I think the waste is the biggest issue with nuclear.
200,000 years is a long time to keep it stored and safe

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2022, 11:11:49 AM »
Canada is almost ready to build a huge nuclear waste facility.there are 2 places being considered but the prime location is on the Bruce peninsula, it’s a rock formation that about 3 million years old and considered extremely stable.It’s part of the Niagara escarpment and mostly limestone,there is an existing nuke plant nearby and a second much larger facility is almost finished being built.

Jobs a plenty and the pay is great but it seems we’re busy building cricket farms…..

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2022, 01:10:43 PM »
There are countries that are essentially all renewable energy at this point. Hardly a pipe dream.

Can you name one?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2022, 01:15:57 PM »
Can you name one?

Iceland.

If you need 2, Paraguay.

Costa Rica is 99%, Norway is 98.5%, Austria is 80%, Brazil is 75%, and Denmark is 69.4%.

(I look up things before I make either a bold challenge or assertion.)  :)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2022, 01:48:49 PM »
I know someone from Norway.

So, these countries do not have cars and trucks? Or they are all electric? Ships and planes too? The military? Everything is renewable.

I highly doubt it.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2022, 01:51:00 PM »
I know someone from Norway.

So, these countries do not have cars and trucks? Or they are all electric? Ships and planes too? The military? Everything is renewable.

I highly doubt it.

Spikes was talking about energy production.  (Or ask him in case I'm wrong.) :)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2022, 01:51:10 PM »
That type of plant can use conventional power plant waste as fuel. Waste from thorium liquid salt is very little and remains radioactive for only 500 years. I understand China has one online.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2022, 02:05:50 PM »
So no countries are currently all renewables, got it.  Norway, where I'm from, is closest because it has natural water power. That won't work everywhere.  Iceland is also blessed with enough geothermal for a small country. Norway always had hydro power, it's not a new green thing. They also have a lot of money because they pump and sell so much oil and gas.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2022, 02:07:47 PM »
So no countries are currently all renewables, got it.  Norway, where I'm from, is closest because it has natural water power. That won't work everywhere.  Iceland is also blessed with enough geothermal for a small country. Norway always had hydro power, it's not a new green thing. They also have a lot of money because they pump and sell so much oil and gas.

Huh.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2022, 02:15:48 PM »

Essentially means in essence. Another synonym would be virtually or centrally. Basically, it means almost. So what Spikes said was "There are some countries that are almost all renewable energy." 99%, and 80% arguably, could be classified as "essentially all renewable."

To your point, you are correct. No country is "currently all renewables." It should be stated that no one has claimed that as of yet.

This topic brings a great quote from a former president to mind. "I know windmills very much."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 02:21:53 PM by perdue3 »
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com