Author Topic: Market Garden Produce Stand Honor system  (Read 3408 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Market Garden Produce Stand Honor system
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2022, 11:45:25 AM »
I had a neighbor who refused to keep his dogs on his property.  He got one warning after I caught said dogs chasing my livestock.  Next, I caught said dogs killing livestock.  Needless to say, dogs were shot on sight. The sheriffs office was called, and the dog owner was charged with "having dogs running at large".  Next came small claims court and I recouped my loss.

Get caught screwing around in the wrong holler here, and you'll regret your poor life decisions.

big difference between protecting livestock from dogs and tomatoes from a thief.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2022, 11:49:33 AM »
If you shot a dog where I live the SWAT would show up. Poison works better

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2022, 11:57:52 AM »
big difference between protecting livestock from dogs and tomatoes from a thief.

semp

Get caught screwing around in the wrong holler here, and you'll regret your poor life decisions.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2022, 12:06:02 PM »

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2022, 12:15:01 PM »
OK Rambo.

semp

Nothing to do with me... some of these hillbillies take their property/privacy very seriously.  You drive up the wrong gravel road, you can be in a world of hurt.  So you do you.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 12:21:20 PM by knorB »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2022, 04:40:40 PM »
OK Rambo.

semp

You will find that most Americans do not support crime.

Here in Texas, if you steal somethig after dark.... all bets are off.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2022, 05:01:25 PM »

They should modify that to include 24/7
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2022, 06:17:37 PM »
It's times like these that you find out... The police are not your friend and the judicial industry is not going to help you; your best option is to avoid contact at all cost.  I don't know why anyone would want to make a living dealing with the public today.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2022, 06:40:37 PM »

there's crimes and there's crimes. some bad advice given on this thread.

what you would do and what happens in difference parts of the country doesn't matter.

what matters is what he did and hopefully only costs him money.  do I think it's OK for the lady to steal from him, he'll no. think she deserves a good slap. on the other hand that would be a bad thing to do.

semp

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2022, 06:52:33 PM »
there's crimes and there's crimes. some bad advice given on this thread.

what you would do and what happens in difference parts of the country doesn't matter.

what matters is what he did and hopefully only costs him money.  do I think it's OK for the lady to steal from him, he'll no. think she deserves a good slap. on the other hand that would be a bad thing to do.

semp

In Texas you are allowed to shoot someone to protect your property in the following circumstances -

Under Penal Code 9.42, deadly force may be used to protect land or property when a person reasonably believes that deadly force is immediately necessary to:

prevent arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft at night, or criminal mischief during nighttime;
prevent someone fleeing with property after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime.
However, the person must also be able to show that he reasonably believed that the land or property could not be protected or recovered by any other means or that the use of non-deadly force would expose him or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

So if the OP lived in Texas and this lady was stealing his products and it was after dark, he could most likely legally shoot and kill her.

Would I do that? No way.
The only time I'd shoot someone is if I didn't have any other options to protect myself or someone else - and then I would not like that I had to do it.

If I were the OP, I'd try to find out why that lady was stealing. That may sound dumb, but I would tell her if she really needed the food that I would have a box for her when she needed it. You never know why someone might be stealing food. I know it's not acceptable to steal, but for me personally, I'd first approach her and try to be compassionate. If she's just a thief and an idiot, I'd be putting her photo up and I'd get her arrested the next time she came onto my property.

Shooting her window with a BB gun is not a smart move - just because now it comes back on you. Not worth it.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 06:58:51 PM by -gg- »
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2022, 07:26:05 PM »

After dark?  When did that change?  I didn't get the memo.  ;)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2022, 07:28:09 PM »
Restraining order.. won't get you toejam for the 2k already stolen, but it will fix future problems of keeping a dirtbag off your property.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2022, 07:31:39 PM »
In Texas you are allowed to shoot someone to protect your property in the following circumstances -

Under Penal Code 9.42, deadly force may be used to protect land or property when a person reasonably believes that deadly force is immediately necessary to:

prevent arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft at night, or criminal mischief during nighttime;
prevent someone fleeing with property after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime.
However, the person must also be able to show that he reasonably believed that the land or property could not be protected or recovered by any other means or that the use of non-deadly force would expose him or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

So if the OP lived in Texas and this lady was stealing his products and it was after dark, he could most likely legally shoot and kill her.

Would I do that? No way.
The only time I'd shoot someone is if I didn't have any other options to protect myself or someone else - and then I would not like that I had to do it.

If I were the OP, I'd try to find out why that lady was stealing. That may sound dumb, but I would tell her if she really needed the food that I would have a box for her when she needed it. You never know why someone might be stealing food. I know it's not acceptable to steal, but for me personally, I'd first approach her and try to be compassionate. If she's just a thief and an idiot, I'd be putting her photo up and I'd get her arrested the next time she came onto my property.

Shooting her window with a BB gun is not a smart move - just because now it comes back on you. Not worth it.

Live in Texas and I concur.  Unless the miscreant in question is an obvious direct threat to me, someone weaker than them, or an animal, I'm just letting the cops deal with it.  Now granted most of the time local LEO is a joke but you can be a big enough pain in the bellybutton to get them to pay attention and, like others have said, put her pic up around the property and state clearly 'not welcome here'. 

That said I did like the idea about trying to talk to her.  If she's really on hard enough times to steal maybe work out some kind of barter system with her. 

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2022, 07:44:03 PM »
"barter" system  :bolt:  :rofl

See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2022, 07:58:50 PM »
Small claims court is your best bet and make sure you have the video to back your claims. File a lien on her car and if she has any real property that as well. You will need the services of a lawyer t advise you how to do that.

So far as I know, in most states there is a right to appeal a small claims court judgment to the general trial court.  At that point you need a lawyer, and at that point you'll probably discover that it isn't easy to find a lawyer for the stakes involved here.

Not a lot of good options here, short of having a friend or family member there to follow her around when she shows up.

- oldman