Author Topic: Hope you guys like electric vehicles.  (Read 6388 times)

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
Re: Hope you guys like electric vehicles.
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2022, 11:22:51 AM »
People with inappropriate vehicles on the interstate are a pet peeve.. There's almost ALWAYS a road that runs right along the Eway that you can lollygag all day if you want.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2022, 11:52:40 AM »
We didn't have highways back then either, for the most part we did not even have paved roads
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2022, 11:56:21 AM »
The kali mandate is for new car production and doesn’t effect used cars,so start buying all those ice cars and you can corner the market and sell all those used cars at huge profits.

Most manufacturers already have a large lineup of hybrid and pure EV’s now,Volvo stopped building pure gas engines in cars as of last year. Porsche and Ferrari both make hybrid super cars now and F1 cars have been hybrid for several years now.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2022, 12:03:56 PM »
The kali mandate is for new car production and doesn’t effect used cars, so start buying all those ice cars and you can corner the market and sell all those used cars at huge profits.

Most manufacturers already have a large lineup of hybrid and pure EV’s now, Volvo stopped building pure gas engines in cars as of last year. Porsche and Ferrari both make hybrid super cars now and F1 cars have been hybrid for several years now.

There are those that want to live in the Triassic period.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2022, 12:27:37 PM »
No idea where the hatred of electric powered anything comes from. My lifestyle would make the limited range of the current list of electric cars a non-starter.
But there is huge money to be made in advancing battery technology, and that much more than any goal to save the environment, will lead to advances that make electric cars more far more useful.
For the Babyboomers with a bent for aviation, can you remember when the DC-7 and the Constellation were the ultimate in airplane technology? That was only 60 years ago.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2022, 12:29:38 PM »
I don't think anybody hates electric vehicles. I think what people are concerned about is being forced into them.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2022, 12:35:03 PM »
There's no hatred for ev technology, there's hatred for being forced into it by incompetents. If you live in a metropolitan area, in a warm environment, they're probably fairly useful to have, but I expect very few have them as their only vehicle. It's all but impossible to get a vehicle that was not purchased in california, registered in California, which instantly creates a huge shortage of all used cars, and people who couldn't pay 30 40 50 60,000 for a new electric car aren't going to have any other options because all the used cars are
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2022, 12:56:27 PM »
You sure posted about a lot recently  :headscratch:

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,405627.0.html

Do you borrow someone’s car for every trip?

that is correct. I don't own one myself but somebody has an extra one.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2022, 12:57:10 PM »
Moved out of California in December after 70 years. No longer have shopping cart people in my neighborhood, or tent cities under overpasses on my way to work.

AND no govenor hair jell. Been to SF lately ?? Visit the tenderloin.. San Jose ? Sacramento ? LA ?

Best move I ever made .
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2022, 12:59:25 PM »
Education is your friend. Research rare earth, what it does to the invironment and people. Read about Myanmar and other places where rare earth is mined.

Ignorance just makes you look silly.

education would have taught you that lots of things use rare earth's, including gas engine cars, monitors, cell phones, some computer parts...

semp

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2022, 01:23:54 PM »
Solar, wind, water is not going to be remotely enough to power all that crap. The grid needs updated a lot to handle that load. Only way your gonna get that much needed energy is nuclear power, but the REEEEEE will not allow that.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2022, 04:51:46 PM »

I sense that there are a lot of people posting in this thread who do not own electric cars.  Once you have one (and have put the 220 line in your garage), there's no going back.  We have a Tesla 3, and it is just a plain hoot to drive.  The acceleration is unmatched by anything short of a muscle car (and possibly not by them, in the short run).  True, we'll take one of the gas cars on trips that will exceed 200 miles, but that's just because we're lazy and don't want to spend 20 minutes in a rest area.  I expect that will change as we get bolder (and even older).  But those trips are rare, possibly two or three times a month.  The rest of the time, the range is not a problem. 

I haven't yet met an electric car owner who regrets the purchase.

- oldman

If you buy a new car and make payments, do your maintenance on a regular basis, do repairs, purchase gasoline, and compare the monthly payments to a Tesla that
never needs maintenance and charges with much less expensive electricity the Tesla comes out ahead by a wide margin. I have had zero repair bills, no maintenance after
4 years, and the vehicle will accelerate faster than almost any gas powered vehicle commonly seen on the freeways and it is not even close. BYD and Tesla may bankrupt many
of the legacy car makers in less than 5 years if they do not build huge huge battery factories. The Ford CEO may be the only one that gets it. Mary Barra of GM absolutely does not
get it. GM has had to recall every EV they have sold because of battery issues. You cannot buy expensive batteries from a supplier like LG Chem,  CATL, or BYD because you cannot make a profit. You also do not have any control over quality or availability. If the government bails them out they still might not survive. If Toyota goes under that would be a huge blow
to the Japanese economy.

If you have a friend that owns a Tesla ask him or her about it. Tesla does not advertise. How is Tesla growing so fast without advertising? Year over year 50 per cent growth.. How
many companies do that?

You may not like what is coming, but technology disrupters always make companies disappear. Kodak, Nokia, Motorola, Block Buster, Polaroid, Minolta, and many more are gone
because they waited to long to adapt.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2022, 04:56:21 PM »
Solar, wind, water is not going to be remotely enough to power all that crap.

.. and then the Great Freeze of '21 happened in Texas. Snowed over solar panels and frozen-stuck wind turbines leading to the state being right on the edge of electrical grid collapse because it was subsidized so heavily by the government over traditional/reliable all-season methods of power generation. It only works (even then, not enough) at nature's whim.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2022, 05:37:44 PM »
.. and then the Great Freeze of '21 happened in Texas. Snowed over solar panels and frozen-stuck wind turbines leading to the state being right on the edge of electrical grid collapse because it was subsidized so heavily by the government over traditional/reliable all-season methods of power generation. It only works (even then, not enough) at nature's whim.

That's not a concern as then they will have fixed climate change and all bad weather stops ...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2022, 06:08:54 PM »

texas had 10 years to fix problems with their electric grid, they never did and still haven't done it.

semp