Author Topic: Rising gas prices in the Los Angeles area  (Read 3305 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Rising gas prices in the Los Angeles area
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2022, 07:03:34 AM »
Much the same, just a different scale I believe.

https://www.etuners.gr/fuel/

Pump gas

In the United States gas stations describe the types of gasoline based on the Pump Octane Number (PON). That number is the average between RON and MON. This causes many problems.

If a fuel is 98 RON then it will be 93 PON -> 93 PUMP
If a fuel is 95 RON and 87 MON then it will be 91 PON -> 91 PUMP

This, I understand...

Where I live, I and everyone else have access to

85 octane Flex Fuel  - cheapest by the dollar but will use more and cost you more than using Unleaded Regular 87 octane
88 octane - next cheapest by the dollar,  yet works better and gets more mpg and better engine performance/ power (only available to use in vehicles 2001 and newer - has cleaning additives added in)
87 octane- Unleaded Regular- what most use, actually saves one more than using 85 octane Flex Fuel (unless you have a 2001 or newer vehicle and can use the "Blue hose 88 octane)
89 to 91 octane - Unleaded Plus- cost more than the above 3 (85, 88, 87 octane fuels ) the octane level for Unleaded Plus varies depending on the supplier/ company
91 to 94 Octane - Unleaded premium- usually most times found as 92 or 93 octane and for some vehicles is all that is allowed per vehicle requirements

95 to 115 (have seen 124) octane- racing Fuel- in and around where I live you can actually buy this at gas stations (mainly Sunoco )

Diesel (Green hose & nozzle pump handle cover)
Flex Fuel (Yellow Hose & nozzle pump handle cover)
88 octane (Blue hose & nozzle pump handle cover)
87, 89 octane and up ( Regular black hose & handle cover)

Kerosene- Red hose etc...
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2022, 07:14:59 AM »
look right now about how much in 50k after all deductions you would pay in ca as opposite to North Carolina  or Georgia.

what is sad is I posted that on ice-cream and here several times.  don't just spend all day drinking orange soda, look it up yourself.

semp

Does California have state income taxes taken out of one's paycheck like NC? Just  curious because I don't know...and haven't had to file / do taxes since 2009 ...

I do know that I really enjoyed working in Florida because there was no state income taxes

I do understand income taxes and how it works and being in different tax brackets based on one's income

It was a pain back when I  was grossing over 15K a week yet net bring home was around 6,400 and that was in Florida...had I been in North Carolina my net bring home pay would have been closer to 4,900

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2022, 07:43:39 AM »
This, I understand...

Where I live, I and everyone else have access to

85 octane Flex Fuel  - cheapest by the dollar but will use more and cost you more than using Unleaded Regular 87 octane
88 octane - next cheapest by the dollar,  yet works better and gets more mpg and better engine performance/ power (only available to use in vehicles 2001 and newer - has cleaning additives added in)
87 octane- Unleaded Regular- what most use, actually saves one more than using 85 octane Flex Fuel (unless you have a 2001 or newer vehicle and can use the "Blue hose 88 octane)
89 to 91 octane - Unleaded Plus- cost more than the above 3 (85, 88, 87 octane fuels ) the octane level for Unleaded Plus varies depending on the supplier/ company
91 to 94 Octane - Unleaded premium- usually most times found as 92 or 93 octane and for some vehicles is all that is allowed per vehicle requirements

95 to 115 (have seen 124) octane- racing Fuel- in and around where I live you can actually buy this at gas stations (mainly Sunoco )

Diesel (Green hose & nozzle pump handle cover)
Flex Fuel (Yellow Hose & nozzle pump handle cover)
88 octane (Blue hose & nozzle pump handle cover)
87, 89 octane and up ( Regular black hose & handle cover)

Kerosene- Red hose etc...

There are a couple of places near me where I can get 3 grades of pump gas with no alcohol blended in. I believe it's 87,89 and 93.  Great for small engines as it doesn't go bad away near as fast. 

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2022, 09:31:02 AM »
Does California have state income taxes taken out of one's paycheck like NC? Just  curious because I don't know...and haven't had to file / do taxes since 2009 ...

I do know that I really enjoyed working in Florida because there was no state income taxes

I do understand income taxes and how it works and being in different tax brackets based on one's income

It was a pain back when I  was grossing over 15K a week yet net bring home was around 6,400 and that was in Florida...had I been in North Carolina my net bring home pay would have been closer to 4,900

Yes. California has a state tax that is taken right from your paycheck. The money then goes into a giant toilet.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2022, 10:46:27 AM »
NORTH CAROLINA
Sales Taxes
State Sales Tax: 4.75%. Prescription drugs and medical equipment exempt. Food is subject to a 2% county tax. Counties may also add up to 2.75% tax.
Gasoline Tax: $0.385/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Diesel Fuel Tax: $0.385/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Cigarette Tax: $0.45/pack of 20

Personal Income Taxes
Individual Taxes (Married Couple, combined income of 75,000): 5.25%
Effective Tax Rate: 4.50%
Social Security: Not taxed
Medical/Dental Deduction: Federal amount. North Carolina has an income tax credit for premiums paid on long-term care insurance covering the individual, a spouse or dependent. The credit is equal to 15% of the premium cost not to exceed $350.
Federal Income Tax Deduction: None
Retirement Income Taxes: Social Security is exempt. All other forms of retirement income are taxed at the North Carolina flat income tax rate of 5.25%. Although the state taxes retirement benefits, the standard deduction is $8,750 for single filers, $17,500 for joint filers and $14,000 for heads of household.
Retired Military Pay: Exempt if the retiree had five years of creditable service as of August 12, 1989. Others may be allowed to exclude $4,000 of military retirement pay from income or $8,000 if married filing jointly.

Property Taxes
All property, real and personal, is subject to taxation and assessed based on 100% appraised value. Cities and counties collect property taxes at an average rate of 0.84%, or $1,454 on a $172,500 home—the state’s median home value.

People age 65 or older or who are completely and permanently disabled qualify for an exclusion based on a portion of the appraised property value. The qualifying income typically raises from year to year and is currently set at $33,800 or less. The greater of $25,000 or 50% of the residence appraised value may be excluded from taxes. Gifts or inheritances from a spouse or immediate family member do not count as income.

North Carolina’s Circuit Breaker Property Tax Deferment Program limits taxes for each year to a percentage of income. The qualifying owner must either be at least 65 years of age or totally and permanently disabled. The Current income limit is $33,800. Property owners with income over that amount but not exceeding 150% of the eligibility limit ($50,700 for 2021) will pay taxes equal to 5% of income. See North Carolina Property Taxes for more information.

Inheritance and Estate Taxes
North Carolina has no estate or inheritance tax.

CALIFORNIA
Sales Taxes
State Sales Tax: California’s state sales tax is 7.25%. Local district taxes increase the tax owed by a seller, ranging from 0.10% to 1.00%. Given that some areas have multiple district taxes, the sales tax can be confusing. You can look up California sales tax by address to research rates.

California charges an annual vehicle license fee of 0.65% of the purchase price, reduced for the first 11 years of ownership.
Gasoline Tax: $0.539/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Diesel Fuel Tax: $0.41/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Cigarette Tax: $2.87/pack of 20

Personal Income Taxes
Individual Taxes (Married Couple, combined income of 75,000): 10.30%
Effective Tax Rate: 9.63%
Medical/Dental Deduction: Federal amount
Retirement Income Taxes: Social Security is exempt, while all other retirement income is subject to state income tax. California taxes 2.5% of early retirement distributions and qualified pensions.
Retired Military Pay: Follows federal tax rules.

Property Taxes
The effective property tax rate in California is 0.76%, or $760 for every $100,000 of assessed value. For example, a homeowner will pay $1,371 in taxes on a $505,000 home—the median home value in the state.

California’s Homeowners Exemption reduces the taxable value of a home by $7,000 for qualified taxpayers. The property must be the principal residence for the taxpayer as of January 1 in the tax year.

The Property Tax Postponement Program is available to homeowners age 62 or older, or who are blind or have a disability to defer on their principal residence. Annual income must be less than $35,500, and the taxpayer must have at least 40% equity in their homes. A lien is placed on the property with a 7% interest on the amount outstanding. The lien is paid when the taxpayer sells the property, no longer uses it as a primary residence or dies. The California State Controller offers more information.

There is no inheritance tax or estate tax in California.

Someone was telling a fib about paying less in income taxes in CA than NC.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2022, 10:47:40 AM »
or maybe just broke reading glasses and damn auto cover changes at all

semp

You aren’t the only one…
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2022, 11:16:29 AM »
Very telling.

https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/cost-of-living/california-usa/north-carolina-usa

That would be a good tool for comparison,  but what it doesn't account for is the pay scale differences of what a person gets for their job

In places like where I live versus working in bigger cities and places,  states etc... the difference in what one might receive per hour in one location versus another could be anywhere from being paid 2 to 10 times more for the same type of work... hell here in NC that can change by living out in the country and surrounding small towns versus driving to the closest bigger cities etc and then moving to Florida, Dallas/Fort worth TX, Las Vegas etc... the pay increase is much higher

Hell, I never wanted nor asked to be on disability,  my doctors (all of them) forced me into early retirement at 40/41 years old....it sucks...

I did elevate my position and knowledge continously from the time I got out of the Navy even up and while I was going through the disability process to obtain the best/ highest possible position and salary I could reach... I kept adding to my resume and taking college classes and other things... for I worked on being the best at what I did in all categories...basically that was ingrained in my raising at a very early age

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2022, 12:00:45 PM »
NORTH CAROLINA
Sales Taxes
State Sales Tax: 4.75%. Prescription drugs and medical equipment exempt. Food is subject to a 2% county tax. Counties may also add up to 2.75% tax.
Gasoline Tax: $0.385/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Diesel Fuel Tax: $0.385/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Cigarette Tax: $0.45/pack of 20

Personal Income Taxes
Individual Taxes (Married Couple, combined income of 75,000): 5.25%
Effective Tax Rate: 4.50%
Medical/Dental Deduction: Federal amount. North Carolina has an income tax credit for premiums paid on long-term care insurance covering the individual, a spouse or dependent. The credit is equal to 15% of the premium cost not to exceed $350.
Retirement Income Taxes: Social Security is exempt. All other forms of retirement income are taxed at the North Carolina flat income tax rate of 5.25%. Although the state taxes retirement benefits, the standard deduction is $8,750 for single filers, $17,500 for joint filers and $14,000 for heads of household.
Retired Military Pay: Exempt if the retiree had five years of creditable service as of August 12, 1989. Others may be allowed to exclude $4,000 of military retirement pay from income or $8,000 if married filing jointly.

Property Taxes
All property, real and personal, is subject to taxation and assessed based on 100% appraised value. Cities and counties collect property taxes at an average rate of 0.84%, or $1,454 on a $172,500 home—the state’s median home value.

People age 65 or older or who are completely and permanently disabled qualify for an exclusion based on a portion of the appraised property value. The qualifying income typically raises from year to year and is currently set at $33,800 or less. The greater of $25,000 or 50% of the residence appraised value may be excluded from taxes. Gifts or inheritances from a spouse or immediate family member do not count as income.

North Carolina’s Circuit Breaker Property Tax Deferment Program limits taxes for each year to a percentage of income. The qualifying owner must either be at least 65 years of age or totally and permanently disabled. The Current income limit is $33,800. Property owners with income over that amount but not exceeding 150% of the eligibility limit ($50,700 for 2021) will pay taxes equal to 5% of income. See North Carolina Property Taxes for more information.

North Carolina has no estate or inheritance tax.

CALIFORNIA
Sales Taxes
State Sales Tax: California’s state sales tax is 7.25%. Local district taxes increase the tax owed by a seller, ranging from 0.10% to 1.00%. Given that some areas have multiple district taxes, the sales tax can be confusing. You can look up California sales tax by address to research rates.

California charges an annual vehicle license fee of 0.65% of the purchase price, reduced for the first 11 years of ownership.
Gasoline Tax: $0.539/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Diesel Fuel Tax: $0.41/gallon (Includes all taxes)
Cigarette Tax: $2.87/pack of 20

Personal Income Taxes
Individual Taxes (Married Couple, combined income of 75,000): 10.30%
Effective Tax Rate: 9.63%
Medical/Dental Deduction: Federal amount
Retirement Income Taxes: Social Security is exempt, while all other retirement income is subject to state income tax. California taxes 2.5% of early retirement distributions and qualified pensions.
Retired Military Pay: Follows federal tax rules.

Property Taxes
The effective property tax rate in California is 0.76%, or $760 for every $100,000 of assessed value. For example, a homeowner will pay $1,371 in taxes on a $505,000 home—the median home value in the state.

California’s Homeowners Exemption reduces the taxable value of a home by $7,000 for qualified taxpayers. The property must be the principal residence for the taxpayer as of January 1 in the tax year.

The Property Tax Postponement Program is available to homeowners age 62 or older, or who are blind or have a disability to defer on their principal residence. Annual income must be less than $35,500, and the taxpayer must have at least 40% equity in their homes. A lien is placed on the property with a 7% interest on the amount outstanding. The lien is paid when the taxpayer sells the property, no longer uses it as a primary residence or dies. The California State Controller offers more information.

There is no inheritance tax or estate tax in California.

Someone was telling a fib about paying less in income taxes in CA than NC.

Well besides that
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2022, 12:30:38 PM »
tc, state taxes are taken out based on exemption claimed.  our zero if you didn't fill out the form

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2022, 12:41:21 PM »
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 12:46:53 PM by knorB »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2022, 12:48:51 PM »
Oh happy days, the prices seem to go down where I live! Diesel was only €2.09/litre today, it used to be in the €2.20 range. Gas was more or less depending on the octane.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2022, 06:17:07 PM »
somebody looked up the wrong tax tables. 75k income married total tax little over 2k.  in NC little over 3.9k. I did my taxes using the state website. it didn't match the info from other sites.

and nc has a car road tax. about the same as what california calls registration fees.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2022, 06:28:02 PM »
somebody looked up the wrong tax tables. 75k income married total tax little over 2k.  in NC little over 3.9k. I did my taxes using the state website. it didn't match the info from other sites.

and nc has a car road tax. about the same as what california calls registration fees.

semp

NC has registration fees too. Most states do.

California taxes the living hell out of everything and then spends the money on garbage and derelicts. The state is falling apart and they want MORE money.

As of June 17th, California has a 87 BILLION dollar budget SURPLUS and a 300 BILLION dollar budget. And they want more. And what do they spend it on if everything is falling apart?

The idiots keep voting for more taxes every time one comes up for a vote. I guess the people getting a free ride have no problem taxing people who work hard, and rich people. They love soaking the rich. It's not their money.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2022, 06:45:02 PM »

semp

Post the link... ooh that's right... hyperbole.