Author Topic: Rising gas prices in the Los Angeles area  (Read 3306 times)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Rising gas prices in the Los Angeles area
« on: September 30, 2022, 10:30:25 AM »
Gas prices have shot up again and have been going up 13 to 18 cents every day. I just paid $6.87 at a gas station right by my house.

Listening to the news this morning analysts were saying that gas prices might go up another $0.60 before it stabilizes.

I've been hearing people on interviews that drive. Like Uber drivers. I don't know how they can afford this. But they have to buy the gas of course.

When I drove for Uber and Lyft with my Ford explorer, I barely broke even. And that was when prices were low.

They say that one of the reasons the prices are going up is that some of these refineries put off doing maintenance till now. But what was expressed on the news was that there are no shortages of gas. There are no gas lands or anything like that so even though they might be doing maintenance there is no real reason why gas would be more expensive. There's no more demand or anything.

As was also noted on the same news, refineries have been shutting down or leaving California because of regulations. I believe shell completely just shut down their refineries here.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Rising gas prices in the Los Angeles area
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 01:28:28 PM »
With the strategic reserves being pulled soon the only thing that will keep prices down is if the economy tanks futher and ppl stop buying it..otherwise expect it to go back up maybe to a new record high

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 02:13:17 PM »
here near my city gas at arco is 5.75. well it depends, arco by freeway 50 cents more.

it's true the sell gas for more because they can.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 03:12:15 PM »
Yeah the strategic oil reserve use was just a Band-Aid.

In California are gas prices are much higher than say, Texas or Arizona. We get taxed up the yin yang.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 04:06:32 PM »
Gina while we do pay more taxes than texas or Arizona. then shouldn't gas prices be within let's say .75 as those states?

but reality is oil companies have a monopoly and they can charge as much as they want here. why is gas around here a dollar less than orange or LA counties. or why gas stations at freeway exits more expensive Than a gas station 2 blocks away.  does it come in a better looking truck?

it's little things like that that makes you wonder.

semp

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 04:29:21 PM »
California gas tax is 53.9 cents per gallon. Arizona is 18 cents per gallon.

But California also has gas "fees"  (they call them fees because they legally can't tax it) that make current total taxes over 1.18 a gallon.

Prices do vary by station. There is no law that says gas stations have to limit gas prices, but no matter what Californians are paying over 1 dollar more in taxes per gallon than in Arizona.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2022, 04:40:54 PM »
gas price I checked around here is 5.75 that's the cheapest I found. that includes all the fees and taxes.

in Arizona it's 4 bucks including taxes and fees.

would you like to know more? funny is gas around here is cheaper than where you live.

semp

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2022, 04:56:51 PM »
I filled up my work van in Johnson City TN today for $3.19. When your government makes it more expensive to do business, your product costs more
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 05:27:33 PM »
gas price I checked around here is 5.75 that's the cheapest I found. that includes all the fees and taxes.

in Arizona it's 4 bucks including taxes and fees.

would you like to know more? funny is gas around here is cheaper than where you live.

semp

Arizona is a big state and the price varies. It's 4.88 a gallon right now at ARCO at  20838 N 19th Ave. 5 Dollars at Shell. It would be over 6 dollars if they were taxing like Calidornia.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS981US981&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:3&tbm=lcl&sxsrf=ALiCzsY9aPgEeSb578MzoS89hBde8hVUVQ:1664576640175&q=cheapest+gas+north+phoenix&rflfq=1&num=10&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiV3tqax736AhUlLUQIHbrCAtsQjGp6BAgSEAE&biw=1942&bih=944&dpr=1.25#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:[[33.697012900000004,-112.0052945],[33.4447212,-112.1596309]];tbs:lrf:!1m4!1u3!2m2!3m1!1e1!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:3

Because I went to a Chevron. I think ARCO was close to a dollar cheaper.

This is from this morning. Outside sign was 10 cents less than the actual pump. Guess they didn't have time to change the sign since it's been changing so fast

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 07:48:42 PM »
I filled up my work van in Johnson City TN today for $3.19. When your government makes it more expensive to do business, your product costs more

you know what's funny, you guys depend on federal aid. if it wasn't for that,  your gas would cost more than b here.

so next time you talk about california polices, make sure your state actually pay your own way :cheers:

semp

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 07:59:56 PM »
Places in AZ may be up to $6 again, it keeps going up the past couple weeks.

Of course after November.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 08:03:10 PM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2022, 12:39:27 AM »
you know what's funny, you guys depend on federal aid. if it wasn't for that,  your gas would cost more than b here.

so next time you talk about california polices, make sure your state actually pay your own way :cheers:

semp

Not that I keep up with the news that much in the past few years....I don't think it is how you see it,  saying Tennessee accepts federal aid...hell...just about every state or territory of the US accepts and has accepted federal aid in 1 instance or another....

I  know that here in NC that certain parts of our state government refuse and fight not to accept federal aid the best we can...

I've been purchasing gas 88 octane for around 2.769 per gallon (with out my rewards points/ discount it's 2.969 a gallon currently)

Nothing new under the sun and history always repeats itself.....the states that succeeded from the Union and started the war between the states (called the Civil War after the fact)  ...seems like they history is coming back around to repeat....only difference this time is little over 160 years later everything has changed country wise, people migration so now they call it blue states vs red states what was once South vs North over "states rights" and the whole thing that even though slavery was on it's way out and the North taxing the hell out of the South to run their way of living and the North pushing its ideas and their ways of living and how to live and make the South live like them....

Now those with roots have moved all over the United States, etc...  who knows what is to come 🤔... but back then the rumors of a war between the states, was first appearing some 33 years  before it finally began.

As evolution in technologies has caused everything to move at "lightning speed" these days,  they have been rumors of another "civil war" between the states since around 2013/2014 and things are moving a lot faster....hopefully it never comes to be...for it will be unreal to imagine

With that said,  some of these states,  like  the mention of Tenn accepting federal aid...heck the current government will keep using all the tax money they take from the "red states" and will continue to give most of it to all the "blue states" and still see how all the "blue states" continue to pay higher prices for damn near everything except for maybe their legalized maurajuana

headed for the potpourri...in the Lady's Room....

Like the great one said "it's a crock of crap"

The End of That......

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=KiLrGm5dnOU&feature=share
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 12:45:57 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2022, 01:16:30 AM »
it isn't that tc, what bugs me is some states keep taxes low, cheap gas, you know things like that. instead of raising  taxes or gas tax a bit, they keep it low.  because some states depend 40 percent of their budget on federal government.

and guess where that money comes from, mostly blue states,  plus texas and Florida.

and it's the attitude of look how well we are doing while let's say California is drowning in taxes. which the part of we doing great is a lie.

and while it's true that here we get money from the feds, we get 1 buck for every 3 we send.

like now Florida needs help big time. but a couple of years ago their senators voted against help in blue states.  and I'm for Florida and the other states to get all the help they need.

semp

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2022, 01:22:19 AM »
State taxes do not go to the federal government. So federal aid comes from income tax mostly.

California sucks our money like a vampire and gives it to low-life chumps and illegal aliens..

And it's still a big crap hole and getting worse.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2022, 03:21:54 AM »
State taxes do not go to the federal government. So federal aid comes from income tax mostly.

California sucks our money like a vampire and gives it to low-life chumps and illegal aliens..

And it's still a big crap hole and getting worse.

Agreed
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC