Author Topic: Aces High Players in DCS  (Read 6128 times)

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Re: Aces High Players in DCS
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2022, 06:10:28 PM »
I somehow doubt that. Two different animals. DCS is low player count high complication eye candy. AH has potential for very high player count and is medium level difficulty with lower level graphics to be open to a larger audience of players.

currently there are 2331 people playing DCS and 1600 servers up n running.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2022, 09:27:55 PM »

So thats 1.4 players per server. WOW!!!!! sounds like fun!  :rolleyes:

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2022, 03:36:42 AM »
I somehow doubt that. Two different animals. DCS is low player count high complication eye candy. AH has potential for very high player count and is medium level difficulty with lower level graphics to be open to a larger audience of players.
+1

Damn shame playing it while it wastes away
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2022, 07:13:03 AM »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2022, 02:27:22 PM »
I don't doubt that.  If you do the math that is an average of 1.45 players per server.   I am sure some have more and some have none at all.  You are lucky to find 24 people on a single DCS server as most servers would choke on the hard core graphics beyond that point.  Theoretically DCS should be able to 4-5 times that amount but it would take a hell of a server to do it with that many players.   You will run into the same limitations with IL2.  A big pat on the back to Hitech. He designed a true multi-player game.  AH is still king in the player population potential category.  I remember Titanic Tuesdays had 600+ in one map.  The action was off the charts and absolutely insane! I miss it terribly.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2022, 02:28:33 PM »
LOL Fugi I thought I was the only one that was allowed to do math...  What's up man?
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2022, 03:00:02 PM »
I think it is dumb to cherrypick the number when people can host their own servers. Just like any Call of Duty or Battlefield game, there are going to be tons of servers.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2022, 04:35:18 PM »
I think it is dumb to cherrypick the number when people can host their own servers. Just like any Call of Duty or Battlefield game, there are going to be tons of servers.
yeah but how many players per server?? Not a network guy, but me running my own server does not equate to a larger number of players in an arena. To me that is the big difference between AH3 and any of the other games.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2022, 05:51:08 PM »
I don't doubt that.  If you do the math that is an average of 1.45 players per server.   I am sure some have more and some have none at all.  You are lucky to find 24 people on a single DCS server as most servers would choke on the hard core graphics beyond that point.  Theoretically DCS should be able to 4-5 times that amount but it would take a hell of a server to do it with that many players.   You will run into the same limitations with IL2.  A big pat on the back to Hitech. He designed a true multi-player game.  AH is still king in the player population potential category.  I remember Titanic Tuesdays had 600+ in one map.  The action was off the charts and absolutely insane! I miss it terribly.

Not all of the servers are populated. I was posting that number to show the opportunities available to people.

And keep in mind that number doesn't include Steam numbers.

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline PK

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2022, 08:28:02 PM »
Darkwood has an axe to grind with Aces High.  He doesn’t even play here much yet he often makes his way to this game’s forum in order to frequently promote a competitor’s game.  If you don’t care for Aces High just leave.  Move along and make the break completely.  Have fun in DCS.  We wish you well.   :cheers:

Offline KillerPops

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2022, 11:49:19 AM »
If people didn't care, they would indeed leave. If people come back to look around, they do care. AH has much going for it, but needs a lot more love than it gets ATM. Servers and number is a red herring. That the same 20 people turns up on one single server every other night means nothing. Only a few percent of DCS players are online at all, but every AH player is online. The same for IL-2. This weekend there will be a virtual online aerobatic championship in DCS with 56 of the best teams.

The truth is that WWII fighters suck in DCS. Grossly overcomplicated and with a FM that is a complete joke. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would fly them. The only reason I can think of is they don't know any better. They are excellent in IL-2 and on the simplistic side in AH. Then there is War Thunder  ... Lots and lots of people like War Thunder for some odd reason, but there you go.

There are lots of cool stuff in this virtual world of hours. Only a fool would stick to only one piece of software, is my opinion.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2022, 02:14:39 PM »
Darkwood has an axe to grind with Aces High.  He doesn’t even play here much yet he often makes his way to this game’s forum in order to frequently promote a competitor’s game.  If you don’t care for Aces High just leave.  Move along and make the break completely.  Have fun in DCS.  We wish you well.   :cheers:

Don't you worry about what I do, worry about yourself. Until you send me a check for $14.95 or call dale and pay my account up mind ya damn business. I play in FSO which is one of the few things this out of date crappy graphics game has left goin for it.

Some folks just don't want to be reminded where the player base for aces high went.

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2022, 02:40:52 PM »

The truth is that WWII fighters suck in DCS. Grossly overcomplicated and with a FM that is a complete joke. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would fly them. The only reason I can think of is they don't know any better. They are excellent in IL-2 and on the simplistic side in AH.

That's an interesting statement. I'd say FM in DCS is far better then all others. IL2 is a total joke. I think AH has that beat in that area.  Best turning P38 in IL2 was one with all flaps down and dive breaks extended. Going into a loop from stall turn in that configuration wasn't a problem either.

in AH flaps are not nearly draggy enough but nowhere near as bad as that joke that IL2 is.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2022, 03:50:56 PM »
Don't you worry about what I do, worry about yourself. Until you send me a check for $14.95 or call dale and pay my account up mind ya damn business. I play in FSO which is one of the few things this out of date crappy graphics game has left goin for it.

Some folks just don't want to be reminded where the player base for aces high went.

Im just curious and not looking to start anything, but what are the "crap graphics" in this game and why are "better" graphics so important?

To me Im trilled with the graphics. Planes look like planes, tanks look like tanks, and those damn trees look like trees. To me the graphics are far good enough not to knock me out of the feeling im fighting in a WWII fighter, and yet I can run full graphics in VR and not need a $3000.00 computer to do so.

Sure DCS is pretty, but it doesnt make the game any more fun. It is also a bit bare compared to what AH has to offer in game play and yet those that fly it are as hard core a fan there as many of us are here.

You playing in both, are the graphics that much of a big deal?

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2022, 04:13:35 PM »
Graphics dont bother me at all. I would still be happy even with AH1 graphics
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women