Author Topic: Alec Baldwin to be charged for his murderous on-set rampage  (Read 3701 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Alec Baldwin to be charged for his murderous on-set rampage
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2023, 12:20:19 PM »
I wonder if there were fingerprints on the live rounds.

That would be an interesting question.

But if I were running Hollywood, There'd be no real firearms allowed on a movie set.  There should just be smarter ways of avoiding mishaps.  Like putting a safety flag in your rifle chamber when not shooting.  It eliminates the possibility of accidentally forgetting and leaving a round chambered.

No gun should ever be used as a movie prop that can possibly chamber a real round.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2023, 12:21:32 PM »
you're not supposed to ever point a prop gun THAT FIRES at anyone

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2023, 12:22:55 PM »
That would be an interesting question.

But if I were running Hollywood, There'd be no real firearms allowed on a movie set.  There should just be smarter ways of avoiding mishaps.  Like putting a safety flag in your rifle chamber when not shooting.  It eliminates the possibility of accidentally forgetting and leaving a round chambered.

No gun should ever be used as a movie prop that can possibly chamber a real round.

Mandatory safety course at the least.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2023, 12:25:27 PM »
you're not supposed to ever point a prop gun THAT FIRES at anyone

A prop should never be a real gun that CAN fire a round.  And an actor would have no reason to suspect he had been handed a real gun with real ammo.  In what universe should that have even been a possibility on a movie set.

You're just saying nonsense now to support an unsupportable position.  I see no point continuing on that path with you.  You're being disingenuous. 

Now if it had been his personal side arm that he whipped out to show everyone and was playing with it and it went off, then I'd be on your side. 

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 12:32:48 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2023, 12:30:23 PM »
Mandatory safety course at the least.

That's better than using prop guns that are incapable of chambering a real round?

I've seen even experience gun owners eventually F up.  Sooner or later.

The real answer has to be to never use a real gun as a movie prop.  Sooner or later you are asking for a tragedy. 

Now if Baldwin knew real guns were being used on the set, then he might be culpable. He should have then unloaded and reloaded the gun himself. 

But certainly we should all agree that the "murderous rampage"  silliness is not worth taking seriously.  I'm sure that plays better over on FlameWarriors.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2023, 12:33:00 PM »
And an actor would have no reason to suspect he had been handed a real gun with real ammo.

As I understand it, the prosecution has already lined up a bevy of actors who agree with me, and virtually anyone with common sense, that you don't aim a real gun at someone and pull the trigger unless you have personally checked to ensure the gun is unloaded.  EVEN THEN, it would take an effort to do so.

Baldwin already has been on TV saying that he didn't pull the trigger.  FBI, and anyone familiar with 1973 Colt types, know that this is extremely unlikely in any event, and FBI apparently has examined this particular weapon and ruled out any mechanical malfunctions.

They haven't charged Baldwin with murder, after all.

- oldman

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2023, 12:36:48 PM »
A prop should never be a real gun that CAN fire a round.  And an actor would have no reason to suspect he had been handed a real gun with real ammo.  In what universe should that have even been a possibility on a movie set.

You're just saying nonsense now to support an unsupportable position.  I see no point continuing on that path with you.  You're being disingenuous. 

Now if it had been his personal side arm that he whipped out to show everyone and was playing with it and it went off, then I'd be on your side.

they do use guns that fire so that they can get a realistic movement, sound, recoil or whatever. It's cheaper and better than CGI, I'd guess. Maybe CGI will be the way to go but I think for realism, using a firing prop gun would be hard to match.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2023, 12:41:21 PM »
they do use guns that fire so that they can get a realistic movement, sound, recoil or whatever. It's cheaper and better than CGI, I'd guess. Maybe CGI will be the way to go but I think for realism, using a firing prop gun would be hard to match.

A blank round can actuate the recoil slide just he same.  Smoke, barrel flash everything.  We used them in M-16 during training exercises in the AF with Miles gear.  Fully operated the weapon exactly the same. 

The best approach would be to make blank a non-standard caliber and modify the chambers to take that and not fit a normal round.  Maybe a business opportunity there for gunsmiths.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2023, 12:41:49 PM »
They've already got the girl who put the bullet in the gun. The other thing too is that Baldwin was not just an actor, but a producer as well. This means his responsibility increased for a safe set. The woman that was shot has an INteresting history of journalism which is something to note. Baldwin also deleted texts which never looks good. Could their be more to the story than just 'an accident'? I'm trying to figure how real bullets got on the set to begin with. That suggests some kind of conspiricy to me. He might get a year or 2, they might say he's not guilty and he'll walk because he's a celeb with tons of money and good lawyers. Or he'll end up with some kind of house arrest. Will just have to see as more details come out.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline LNG15

• Nickel Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2023, 12:43:23 PM »
I'll throw my .02 into this. Why not just use CO2 powered pistols and revolvers, and use CGI for that effect. Hollywood could easier make the flash, and sound effects easy. Heck I've watched the YouTuber Freddie Wong when they did shootout videos, and they used airsoft weapons, all they would've done was covered the orange tip to make it realistic, make sure the slide goes back, then in editing use CGI for the rounds to make sure they are coming out correctly, and that's it.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2023, 12:46:08 PM »
They've already got the girl who put the bullet in the gun. The other thing too is that Baldwin was not just an actor, but a producer as well. This means his responsibility increased for a safe set. The woman that was shot has an INteresting history of journalism which is something to note. Baldwin also deleted texts which never looks good. Could their be more to the story than just 'an accident'? I'm trying to figure how real bullets got on the set to begin with. That suggests some kind of conspiricy to me. He might get a year or 2, they might say he's not guilty and he'll walk because he's a celeb with tons of money and good lawyers. Or he'll end up with some kind of house arrest. Will just have to see as more details come out.

Nope.  He'll walk.  No problem.  (Not from a civil suit though.)

This was just performative kabuki for the DA's rural voters. 

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2023, 12:50:22 PM »

That's better than using prop guns that are incapable of chambering a real round?

I didnt say that.. i said at the least.

Do not attribute things to me, I didn't say pls

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2023, 12:58:21 PM »
I didnt say that.. i said at the least.

Do not attribute things to me, I didn't say pls

I didn't attribute you saying anything.

I understand what you said.  My point is that is going in exactly the wrong direction. 

The solution isn't to have safety training so real guns can be used in movies.  Not even "at least".  That will eventually lead to another tragedy with or without the safety training.  You're just asking for it.

The real answer, IMHO, is to never use real guns on a movie set at all. 

If they are in a movie deactivating nuclear bomb, should it be a real nuclear bomb for authenticity?  Would that be prudent? 

[edit]

My call is he will walk on criminal liability, but get nailed in a civil suit.

If I'm wrong, oh well, not my circus, not my monkey. ;)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 01:13:59 PM by CptTrips »

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2023, 01:14:57 PM »
This made me think about the Brandon Lee incident.
That was different I know but has similarities.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2023, 01:18:29 PM »
This made me think about the Brandon Lee incident.
That was different I know but has similarities.

Me too.  And this:

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/actor-and-two-children-killed-on-twilight-zone-set#:~:text=Twilight%20Zone%20co%2Ddirector%20John,were%20charged%20with%20involuntary%20manslaughter.

They were acquitted of involuntary manslaughter, btw.  Don't know if there was ever a civil suit.  There bar for proof is a lot lower in a civil suit.