Author Topic: Home defense. What' you have ?  (Read 6407 times)

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
Re: Home defense. What' you have ?
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2023, 06:31:33 PM »
Jayzus nopoop - what kind of enemies do you have?

If you need a ready-accessible guns to protect your family...maybe, just maybe... it's you?

That's incredibly ignorant.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2023, 07:28:09 PM »
Using that logic, then if someone is a victim of a drunk driver, then its the victims fault for being in the path of the drunk driver, not the drunks fault for committing the crime of vehicular injury while being intoxicated.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2023, 10:25:26 AM »
I know my opinion isn't going to be real popular but my background and training support it as well as actual building clearance experience. I do not like a long gun for CQB in the civilian sense of clearing an occupied building like your home. I much prefer a handgun.

For interior team tactics I think a non rifle caliber carbine is a decent choice vs full rifle caliber and or full sized rifle. I do like a shotgun but also shorter length for say clearing a commercial building where contact can range out to 10 to 20 yards or more. Again, if close quarters are the rule, like a grocery store then I prefer the handgun to avoid grappling over the weapon if you end up in arms reach of the suspect. The long gun can also be a real hazard when securing the perp because 2 hands are required to properly cuff the subject. Slings are nice but they are also convenient to use by the bad guy to try to control the wearer and or weapon in a fight.

Few civilians have any idea of how to hold the weapon in a ready position and how to "pie" corners without presenting the muzzle to anyone just out of sight around the corner / obstruction.

I'm also not a real big fan of weapon mounted lights for searching, especially if there are potential friendlies in the area being searched. Again I was trained before weapon lights were conceived as a tool to be used. I do believe they have a purpose but not for initial searching due to muzzling what ever you are lighting up. Yes I understand the concept of using the "edge of the light" rather than direct beam but you are still pointing the loud end in the general direction of what you are lighting up. Under stress bad things can and all to often do happen. If you have never been there in a deadly force situation and the stress it provides, you just do not really understand the situation. The eye typically is drawn to the brightest portion of the beam of light and the difference in brightness can make friendly ID or target detection less than optimal. I like the idea of a hand held flashlight to scan then present the weapon mounted light for targeting. Having the handheld light on a lanyard so you can just drop it and go to 2 hand hold on the handgun when appropriate is a good option to me.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2023, 02:16:01 PM »
I know my opinion isn't going to be real popular but my background and training support it as well as actual building clearance experience. I do not like a long gun for CQB in the civilian sense of clearing an occupied building like your home. I much prefer a handgun.

Well, at least I find it very reasonable, pretty much for same reason.

Offline Firetech

• Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2023, 04:53:35 PM »
Pretty sure most guys in here can also bench press 500lbs.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2023, 05:55:58 PM »

is that why my gf disappears in the evening?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2023, 06:06:05 PM »

1 lb. at a time? :rolleyes:
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2023, 02:52:46 AM »

Last time I tried, this happened:

That frustrated me so badly, I decided to clean one of my guns. This was the end result:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2023, 03:06:33 PM »
It is the criminal that decides what his life is worth, not me. I just protect my family and our belongings that I worked so hard for over the years.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2023, 09:33:18 AM »
In Florida it is now legal to 'conceal carry' without a permit.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2023, 10:15:40 AM »

except.......

semp

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2023, 10:24:14 AM »

If you didn't say "hidden observation cameras and a way to monitor any radio frequency from 60 meters to uhf", you will likely be donating your guns to "the enemy".

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2023, 09:12:37 PM »

Good news!

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2023, 09:59:09 PM »
Good news!

except they still have plenty of safe zones.  thought you said they don't work.

semp

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2023, 01:50:30 AM »
except they still have plenty of safe zones.  thought you said they don't work.

semp

every single time someone decided to shoot up a "safe zone" they didn't work. Not sure how it's supposed to work when anyone can just walk in and start shooting - with no other  armed good citizen around to stop it.

Could it be that people who feel like shooting up a school don't really care that guns are "not allowed" ?

Safe zones never saved anyone from anything.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.