Author Topic: A helmet restoration  (Read 226 times)

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
A helmet restoration
« on: May 16, 2023, 11:58:35 AM »
After cruising ebay for prices on WWII Gerrman helmets, I found the shell prices in the last 20 years to be absurd. Where back in the day they averaged fifty to sixty bucks, now they start at $200 up to $250  :x $350 up to $550 for a restored helmet. Can't see anyone paying that much for a restored helmet

I found a repo that is the same weight as an original and made well. The liner sucked but the shell is very good.

First try sucked so I had to strip it. What a mess..

Second try worked.

North African campaign DAK helmet. Began to age it.

Second aging process and I am liking in. May do more when it drys. We  will see.
Fun stuff.

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: A helmet restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 12:04:44 PM »
Nice nopoop!

Doesn't that decrease the value of the helmet if you restore it?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
Re: A helmet restoration
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 02:08:09 PM »
Original helmet shells that are post war painted are fair game. But original shells are expensive now.

I have a reissue M35 with the decals peeking through the paint. A blah helmet that I really can't do anything with. An original double decal luftwaffa shell with 90% decals is in the $2000 range. I have toyed with adding repo decals for display...

nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..