Author Topic: What Are You Aiming At?  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
What Are You Aiming At?
« on: June 08, 2023, 10:17:00 AM »
I know this is highly dependent on what you’re shooting at, shooting with, and shooting in but I want to hear your scenarios. What part of the plane are you aiming for and does your ammo or ride alter that.

I’m not really good enough in fighter to be as surgical as some of you so I just unload my wad when I’m close enough to someone. Makes riding the subway tough but works ok for cartoon planes.

Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: What Are You Aiming At?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 10:33:25 AM »
Majority of shots are behind their target

Best to aim with more lead than you think you need

Cockpit is best as plane explodes when you kill the pilot but a wing or stabilizer removal results in the same thing

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline UpMaKilt

• Zinc Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 11:29:00 AM »
Hitting bombers aiming for the wing roots from above, cockpit HO is good if you can get the position. Don't close slow and steady from their 6 or you may as well stay on the ground, a good gunner can wipe you out from 2 k that way.

Fighters im aiming squarely at the centre mass of cockpit

cannons are good but if I have 50s I just get up real close.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 03:10:54 PM »
Bombers I like to aim for the wingroot or the cockpit. Wingroot starts fires, and cockpit is pilot wound or instant death.

Fighters I aim for the cockpit, but I am a well known "misser of many opportunities" due to my terrible aim, but I do try for these spots   :D

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 04:10:29 PM »
Generally speaking I'm a fan of pointing the nose ahead of them and putting out a bullet stream for them to run into.  Particularly with cannons, and even more particularly with 30mm and up.  Pulling Gs makes everything hit low, and I believe that is magnified the slower the round is.  This is particularly noticeable when you've got multiple types of guns firing at the same time.

An all .50s equipped plane, your rounds are going to be in the same vicinity if you're pulling when you fire.  Something like an A8 with 30mm, 20mm, and 12mm if you're pulling Gs, everything is going to be a different amount low, so only part of your bullet stream will hit.  Unloaded, they're all reasonably grouped up.

With the above in mind, I aim for the nose to hopefully reduce the "shoot behind" tendency Eagler mentioned, and also that puts the longest portion of the plane in the bullet stream.  With the above tactic, hitting a wing only puts a couple rounds into it.

With bombers, I either go for the cockpit or the wingroot.  With the exception of the B29, which I aim for the wingtip because they seem very fragile.

YMMV

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 07:12:31 PM »
If you're missing a lot of shots try doubling your lead. That should at least get you in front of the target.

Unload G to reduce dispersion.

Nose guns don't have the convergence issues of wing guns. Wing guns are more picky about range.

Aim small, miss small. Don't aim for the cockpit, aim for the pilot head.  Aim for the center of the wing root.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 06:39:25 AM »
Until I switched to vr I shot at the blip under the icon as the plane was so tiny

Since vr I can actually target specific places on the plane

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 07:33:44 AM »
There are a few things I do to help with aim.

1. Setting up your shots with crossing shots rather than direct 6 lead shots. It takes practice and merge techniques, but imo, is much more beneficial. If you are direct 6 shooting, it opens up a bigger chance of getting picked. It also means they can go left or right and down relative to cross infront of your sites using a crossing\snap shot and then checking 6 incase of pickers.

2. Set convergence out further. A low convergence means you have to lead further than a higher one. I normally use 400 for cannons and between 375-450 for 50 cals.

3. Use your rudder. I have peddles and hate the twisty, the rudder helps yaw your nose to get a shot faster, and helps you get your nose down faster if the try to nose down turn. This helps you get the crossing shot better rather than the lead shot. Rudder is extremely useful for getting a shot.

5. With 50s you need about 1 second of bullets in a stream and located generally in one area of the plane. The wing is generally the best place for 50s as all the bullets streamline and weigh it down causing it to rip off.

6. For cannons, again always good to streamline but it takes less and more of a lead, so crossing shots are much more important.

As with aiming any plane. Try to get your nose to where they will cross and then hold the trigger down for a second or 2. If you overshoot, turn off to the other direction or immediately do a strong virtical immelman up over the top for a spiral rope if you see they are going for the reversal.

All the best,

:salute
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2023, 08:25:24 AM »
Hey Dmon great notes thank you!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 03:21:42 AM »
Until I switched to vr I shot at the blip under the icon as the plane was so tiny

Since vr I can actually target specific places on the plane

Eagler

The time I've spent in VR so far this has turned out to be very true.  When I switched back to 2d to get all my settings on my sticks right where I want them and memorized my aim was WAY off. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2023, 12:07:58 AM »
 One more point. Fly the same aircraft for awhile learn where to put your bullets. In a Spit for example, the target is under the nose when you shoot. Your guessing he's going to fly into your bullets. That's if your around 400 or father away. Get with in 200 and your aiming at the plane.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2023, 03:20:06 AM »
If you're missing a lot of shots try doubling your lead. That should at least get you in front of the target.

Unload G to reduce dispersion.

Nose guns don't have the convergence issues of wing guns. Wing guns are more picky about range.

Aim small, miss small. Don't aim for the cockpit, aim for the pilot head.  Aim for the center of the wing root.
THIS THIS THIS!  My many hours in a Wirb teach the same lesson. Lead more than you might believe will work.  I do believe, that lesson carried over to Dog Fights. The lead, seems to be so far it doesnt make sense at times.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2023, 03:56:26 AM »
 Most of my kills in game...Deflection Shots...under D-400. I say D-400 because that is typically how close I can maneuver to.  This leads to Convergence Settings.  As I mentioned in another of your questions...UNIVERSAL Gun Sights are also a good idea. Set your convergence at the range, you usually can maneuver to. YA YA...you think of me as Spixteen Dweeb :bolt: but my convergence is at 300...and still get hit out to 800+ .   Bro, I gotta say!  IIR, returning OG? AKA Old Guy? lol  You get tougher to kill every week! Just the other evening or so..."That is Starpig. VH is down...yeah Starpig....He Got The Ammo Bunkers too?"     My hit sprite/flash on your wings and field ack = Dadtallica? Holy "STUFF! He is getting his groove back!"    More than a few of my fellow Bish mirrored my statement   ...Mike115, OldAngus, Aleric, Horrido, Damphyno...I could call for a Roll Call :x   "Starpig? NOPE!"  I knew it wasnt him, because he didnt run away! This guy will fight! As he should! Medium Air Base, got VH AND AMMO....he had better fight!  He aint gonna land it! lol   Paraphrased in unison🤣   Hope you can follow my rambling text :uhoh
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 04:00:01 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2023, 08:59:21 AM »
Lol thanks. I’m not usually interested in flying back a long ways so I just keep hitting stuff. In loaded P47 I can usually pork a medium base completely. My plane is usually tore up after all the ack but I don’t mind.

I enjoy my tangles with most people!  :salute

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2023, 11:20:01 PM »
Most of my kills in game...Deflection Shots...under D-400. I say D-400 because that is typically how close I can maneuver to.  This leads to Convergence Settings.  As I mentioned in another of your questions...UNIVERSAL Gun Sights are also a good idea. Set your convergence at the range, you usually can maneuver to. YA YA...you think of me as Spixteen Dweeb :bolt: but my convergence is at 300...and still get hit out to 800+ .   Bro, I gotta say!  IIR, returning OG? AKA Old Guy? lol  You get tougher to kill every week! Just the other evening or so..."That is Starpig. VH is down...yeah Starpig....He Got The Ammo Bunkers too?"     My hit sprite/flash on your wings and field ack = Dadtallica? Holy "STUFF! He is getting his groove back!"    More than a few of my fellow Bish mirrored my statement   ...Mike115, OldAngus, Aleric, Horrido, Damphyno...I could call for a Roll Call :x   "Starpig? NOPE!"  I knew it wasnt him, because he didnt run away! This guy will fight! As he should! Medium Air Base, got VH AND AMMO....he had better fight!  He aint gonna land it! lol   Paraphrased in unison🤣   Hope you can follow my rambling text :uhoh

Thwarted a bunch of Bish base takes this Friday night by dumping VH’s lol! Plenty of dars and ords too!  Don’t worry I spent an hour doing the same to the Knights. :salute :bolt: