Author Topic: Players killing game with boring play  (Read 7873 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Players killing game with boring play
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2023, 09:58:59 AM »
Yesterday evening was really bad.  Bish were backed in a corner and only had 18-20 players while knights and rooks both had 36-40.  Both Knights and Rooks were attacking the bish and not fighting each other.  I tried encouraging the Knights to attack the Rooks to which the typical response was "get it while the getting is good."  It was fun if you're a base taker, but not so good for the fighter jocks.  I think this serves as a little bit of evidence that the same problem would occur if there were only two sides -- the path of least resistance. 
Tours 86 - 296

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2023, 10:28:18 AM »
Yeah pretty much why I'm flying bish now. Almost guaranteed to get a fight or find some planes to shoot. Unfortunately the bish morning crew are too big of shmucks to do what is right for the game and fight themselves. They'd rather gang both sides with 16 v 2 in the morning, leaving both sides going after bish for the rest of the day to get bases back. Sad and stupid. Unfortunately herding cats is very challenging in the Main Arena.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 12:51:29 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2023, 10:50:38 AM »
Yeah pretty much why I'm flying bish now. Almost guaranteed to get a fight or find some planes to shoot. Unfortunately the bish morning crew are too big of shmucks to do what is right for the game and fight themselves. They'd rather gang both sides with 16 v 2 in the morning, leaving both sides going after bish for the rest of the day to get bases back. Sad and stupid. Unfortunately hoarding cats is very challenging in the Main Arena.

I've primarily flown knight since I've been back because they are usually the low number side (or the numbers are close enough not to matter).  The Numbers were even across the board for the entire time I was on during the day yesterday.  I logged and came back for the evening run, and the numbers were mismatched.  Crazy how fast the numbers change.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2023, 12:09:22 PM »
Unfortunately the bish morning crew are too big of shmucks to do what is right for the game and fight themselves.

And the unanticipated part is on a given moment some key horde-leaders are going to quit or pop their clogs and it'll deflate like a balloon. This is the danger of a subscription in the hand is worth two in the bush. Damned short-sighted to have not address this earlier.
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2023, 12:48:18 PM »
And the unanticipated part is on a given moment some key horde-leaders are going to quit or pop their clogs and it'll deflate like a balloon. This is the danger of a subscription in the hand is worth two in the bush. Damned short-sighted to have not address this earlier.

At this point. Making the game cost $90 for a year, or just forever would probably be a net gain rather than the standard $15 a month. Subscription is the #1 thing IMO keeping people from playing. It's like If Chivalry was $15 a month. I played it a couple of times... but got bored and don't play it really that much. Am I going to spend another $15 to play it? Heck no. But I actually bought the game for $30. I can come back and play the game any time I want now just for chits n gigs If I wanna try it again. This keeps the #s large with plenty of action. Is HTC better off getting $60-$90 upfront from a player who may only play for one month, or just getting $15 for a player who plays for a month and never comes back because they don't want to spend the $15 on it. The gaming industry is harder than ever to get money outa people these days and paying monthly for no incentive other than to play the game is very tough!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 12:51:17 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2023, 01:20:38 PM »
Could you be confusing boring players with new players? Lets not shame new players because they don’t YET play the way one thinks it should be.

No committed to thats the real issue, but some vets should keep this in mind. Not everyone is s vet player.

The game can’t afford to chase anyone away.

2 cents

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2023, 04:19:39 PM »
Could you be confusing boring players with new players? Lets not shame new players because they don’t YET play the way one thinks it should be.

No one new in the morning horde mate. Sad, rigid, comfort-zone types still carving the same old narrow groove they've been grinding away at for years. What always gets me about this base-rolling horde, as soon as they've finished the whole thing gets reset like some weirdly comforting Sisyphean nightmare. Basically just mindless production job with nothing new or challenging.

The game can’t afford to chase anyone away.

Already has done for years.
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2023, 05:19:15 PM »
Auto country assign is what everyone should do

The numbers would auto balance

But some don't like to fight their buddies for some reason

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2023, 06:02:41 PM »
Yesterday evening was really bad.  Bish were backed in a corner and only had 18-20 players while knights and rooks both had 36-40.  Both Knights and Rooks were attacking the bish and not fighting each other.  I tried encouraging the Knights to attack the Rooks to which the typical response was "get it while the getting is good."  It was fun if you're a base taker, but not so good for the fighter jocks.  I think this serves as a little bit of evidence that the same problem would occur if there were only two sides -- the path of least resistance.

Not true when I was playing between 8-11 EST. We (Rooks) only need a few bases of each to win and we were definitely fighting both.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2023, 06:18:26 PM »
Not true when I was playing between 8-11 EST. We (Rooks) only need a few bases of each to win and we were definitely fighting both.

I logged just before you were on and played another game.  Glad to see it finally changed.  But I can assure you for the time I was on the second go around, it was terrible.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2023, 06:23:44 PM »
I logged just before you were on and played another game.  Glad to see it finally changed.  But I can assure you for the time I was on the second go around, it was terrible.

I think that’s just the nature of the clock. Right after I log off is usually when the Knight night crew logs in.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2023, 07:15:46 PM »

But some don't like to fight their buddies for some reason

Eagler

Ya, I’m a little old skewl, once I join a country I usually plant roots there. Back in the day, changing sides was a form of voodoo to most.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2023, 01:04:36 AM »

This would fix it instantly but it's not why these types play, they form what amounts to a prison gang where loyalty and a sort of hierarchical cooperation is the thing. They'd just leave the game if you forced that. They have no interest in fighting it out without significant advantage and certainly not alone. A big clue is loyalty to an arbitrary chess piece. Really freakishly self-centred behaviour. The last thing on their mind is the overall health of the game.

Last day I played MA was exactly like Shane described: they were rolling multiple bases and resupplying so fast and in such numbers you couldn't even launch an effective interceptor to stop a single flight of bombers. It's not a Sandbox where people can play how they want anymore at this time: it's just a big, dumb steamroller of semi-autistic MA internees. But this was not an accident. HTC pushed this path with changes to side-swapping, dar, the introduction of the 88-mm, vehicle icons / visibility etc. The ACM-people were discriminated against years ago and have mostly left. Yak-3 was the last new fighter introduced. What date was that?

Asked until we are blue-in-the-face for the reintroduction of the furball lake and / or minor changes to the MPA just to get some kind of ACM-community going again. Nothing. Not one concession towards making an alternative area to have a bit of air-combat fun in a game entitled Aces High, not join-our-gang-and-share-the-brain, or hide-a-vehicle-in-a-bush-against-real-players for 24-hours a day.

P!55es me right off to think about it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 01:07:40 AM by nrshida »
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2023, 03:18:59 AM »
Maybe when I’m retired I’ll feel the unquenchable thirst to join the JOKERS never ending crusade against undefended buildings and AI field guns. We’ll see in 30 years.

HItech does need to address the issues with the match play arena. Once he is full recovered that is.
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2023, 06:43:27 AM »
Ya, I’m a little old skewl, once I join a country I usually plant roots there. Back in the day, changing sides was a form of voodoo to most.

Times change,  the game changed as the numbers definitely changed...

If you don't change the game will die

Get over yourselves and go auto assign and fix the game now!

That and smaller maps and you there you go..

Make AH Great Again!

:cheers:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder