Author Topic: Players killing game with boring play  (Read 5588 times)

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
Re: Players killing game with boring play
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2023, 11:20:01 AM »
You're giving too much safe space to the locusts

Solution
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2023, 11:20:39 AM »
You're giving too much safe space to the locusts,

That isn't my intention.  I'm not making a judgement one way or another. 

Ranting is fine.  But like Eagler, sometimes you need to stop chasing something you are obviously not going to get.  At some point you should realize when you are wasting your time.

You fish?  If you are fishing a spot and not getting hits, you shouldn't waste too much time stubbornly pounding that patch of water with a lure.  You are much better off quickly deciding to move to another spot.  Keep moving until you hit a honey pot.  Then enjoy.  I'll give a spot 20 min max and then move on if I'm not getting action.  Because staying tin the same non-productive spot yelling at the water for the fish to play the way I want makes me look silly.

Or figure out a way to solve the problem that really works.

Honestly, I think it has always been this way.   It's just at these numbers it becomes more noticeable.  Like lowering the water level in a river exposes the rocks that were always there.
When there were 500 players in the Melee you didn't notice because when they tried to run there was likely someone else in their way to stop them or there was always another nearby target to switch to.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2023, 11:26:37 AM »
Heh.  We already have dar and sector counters, its the lack of resources to actually deal with the locusts when they arrive.  So people leave the area, if not the game entirely.

Solution
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2023, 11:29:57 AM »
You're stating the locusts are incapble of finding a good time (fun) with a more balanced game play.  Weaksauce. 

I took a break and came back to an even lesser game thanks to the locusts.

Maybe you should take a break. It’s just a game, you need to let it go. Your boring is somebody else’s good time. Or don’t you care?
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2023, 11:39:38 AM »
Simple solution, have eny affect ordnance as well as planes.

eny 10 removes 1k+
eny 15 removes 500
eny 20 removes 250

100s and rckts will always be available.

Easily codable, right? Will definitely modify hordeplay by giving defenders more time to defend. And may frustrate enough to balance sides a bit more during the consistently worst times.

Or figure out a way to solve the problem that really works.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2023, 11:54:19 AM »
Simple solution, have eny affect ordnance as well as planes.

Easily codable, right? Will definitely modify hordeplay by giving defenders more time to defend. And may frustrate enough to balance sides a bit more during the consistently worst times.

I suspect that wouldn't be a massive code effort.  I have no opinion if it would help or not.

Why not simply increase the aggressiveness of the exist ENY algorithm instead of adding a new behavior.  If the horde is all flying around in Vals, that might be kinda fun to be on the underdog side.  They also couldn't run from you. ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2023, 12:13:26 PM »
I suspect that wouldn't be a massive code effort.  I have no opinion if it would help or not.

Why not simply increase the aggressiveness of the exist ENY algorithm instead of adding a new behavior. If the horde is all flying around in Vals, that might be kinda fun to be on the underdog side.  They also couldn't run from you. ;)

They all log off.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2023, 12:13:33 PM »
They're already used to dealing with 20+ eny for plane choices going up against non-eny'd defender(s).   Eny values themselves (would) need tweaking.

10 vals might keep 2 spits busy, while 1 bomber wf's the town where the m3 and 2x T34's are already waiting.   Yay horde fun! base taken!  Spits defeated, validating the horde's behavior.

Why not just go two-sides as has been suggested repeatedly?  We both know it won't change the underlying behavior.  The behavior needs to change, not just the tools.  Eny'ing the ords will have a direct impact on behavior, while not totally removing a side's ability to maintain an offense.

"Don't Look Up" indeed.

But we both also know there's very little likelihood of further game development or tweaking, so the only practical potential solutions have to come from the community itself if they want to keep this game alive a little longer. 

Why not simply increase the aggressiveness of the exist ENY algorithm instead of adding a new behavior.  If the horde is all flying around in Vals, that might be kinda fun to be on the underdog side.  They also couldn't run from you. ;)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2023, 12:25:00 PM »
Who besides ChatGPT is going to do all this coding?
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2023, 01:06:39 PM »
They all log off.

What would they do if you take away their bombs?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2023, 01:12:38 PM »
But we both also know there's very little likelihood of further game development or tweaking, so the only practical potential solutions have to come from the community itself if they want to keep this game alive a little longer.

Then you are doomed.

Players will not voluntarily do anything that doesn't maximize their competitive advantage.

I wasn't against your Ord ENY idea, I was just curious. But yeah, I suspect you won't get that either.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2023, 03:39:34 PM »
I think making the 3 sides into 2 with side balancing is the only solution with current numbers

It was the only fight around and lost the tiffy once or twice as he was running around. Saw his handle when a plane was ack killed and thought he might engage considering he had the advantage but I was mistaken.

At least the k4 glides forever and he didn't get the kill..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2023, 03:54:17 PM »
I think making the 3 sides into 2 with side balancing is the only solution with current numbers

Which would take a lot of coding, which will not happen.

Another option is to keep shrinking maps to maintain the proper player density given the current numbers.

That can be done by players and requires little effort on the part of HTC.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2023, 07:21:12 AM »
27 v 3 this morning.  27 players having fun without worrying about side balancing.  Maybe not so much fun for the 3.   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2023, 08:05:12 AM »
Human Nature: 1    Balanced Gameplay: 0

Possibly the easiest code change to implement would be to force players into auto-side switch when one side has more than twice the numbers of the other two sides combined.   The code for auto switching is already there, just need to code a trigger condition.

I think it might solve the problem, but would not be popular. 

Another idea is to become so restrictive with ENY that in situations like this, the Bishops would be basically restricted to early War aircraft only.   That might convince a squad contributing to the numbers imbalance to voluntarily switch to a smaller country?