Author Topic: The drinker recommends  (Read 1968 times)

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
Re: The drinker recommends
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2023, 12:19:40 PM »
Stay down Rock.

Offline knorB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2023, 02:34:04 PM »
Should have kept the Eastern border closed so all those Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans and Russians didn't get in.

they were legal in the sense it wasn't illegal.  imagine that boatloads of people showing up at Ellis Island and just signing a book.  btw first and second class didn't go to Ellis Island.

semp

Gee, it's almost like they figured out that it was bad that unfettered migration was a bad thing and enacted laws to regulate it.

Thanks for making the point.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2023, 04:57:55 PM »
Like 'legal immigrants' on the east coast from 100 years ago or earlier were ever under the same onus as today.  :old:

"No Irish need apply" sort of thing happened to lots of immigrant groups.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2023, 03:50:33 AM »
But what flavor icecream did you choose Mr President?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2023, 06:35:11 AM »
We Italians were called names but it didn't slow us down

My great grandfather got off the boat in his early 20's back in 1903

By the 1950's his son my name sake governed Ohio after being mayor of Toledo

Nothing wrong with immigration- it's what built this country- just has to be legal and not a political weapon

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Misery

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2023, 09:18:36 PM »
I won't see this film for the same reason I didn't see Passion of the Christ... I don't need a movie to tell me how bad this is/was. If you've been to South America, you know why this is possible. The contrasting poverty creates desperation or disparagement. Opportunists abound to take advantage of that. It's horrible. You could say the same for much of the Middle East and Africa. The presence of tribal systems seem to add to the perceived legitimacy of much of what's going on.

In the US, it is trafficking laws that are turning out to be the most effective against prostitution rings. It really provided leverage to go after those running the prostitutes instead of being relegated to arresting only the prostitutes themselves. The fact that these laws/policies are needed at all is another thing.

Offline Misery

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2023, 09:19:34 PM »
I was also hoping this was a thread about the pure awesomeness of The Critical Drinker's reviews. The guy is a fricking genius.