Author Topic: shooting thru walls - example  (Read 423 times)

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
shooting thru walls - example
« on: July 19, 2023, 08:20:01 AM »
Can't think of a better example of seeing and shooting thru walls.  I was on the other side of the wall between the two barrack buildings.  I was seen/killed thru the wall... any explanation?

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
Re: shooting thru walls - example
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 08:40:04 AM »
Likely you were observed driving to your location by the Tu-2 that was strafing you, the tank knowing you were in a soft vehicle loaded HE rounds and shot the barracks where you were reported to be.  I'll check your film later to see where you were, but he told me you were near the barracks and I assumed you were between them so I was shooting the tops of them.  Even if you were on the wall, HE rounds will damage vehicles on the other side of it if you hit it.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 08:49:59 AM »
I saw he TUs...  I'm recreating your perspective and I'm not seeing a line of sight that lets you pop the barrack roof (I was between them yes and far enough away from the wall for any splash I would think.)  Your shot went directly thru the wall low, not above it.  Did you save your film?

Likely you were observed driving to your location by the Tu-2 that was strafing you, the tank knowing you were in a soft vehicle loaded HE rounds and shot the barracks where you were reported to be.  I'll check your film later to see where you were, but he told me you were near the barracks and I assumed you were between them so I was shooting the tops of them.  Even if you were on the wall, HE rounds will damage vehicles on the other side of it if you hit it.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 08:59:15 AM »
I saw he TUs...  I'm recreating your perspective and I'm not seeing a line of sight that lets you pop the barrack roof (I was between them yes and far enough away from the wall for any splash I would think.)  Your shot went directly thru the wall low, not above it.  Did you save your film?

no, I didnt save it, there was nothing spectacular about it.  If you sit where I was in a tank you can clearly see the barracks, its not even difficult, though I did hit the wall once trying to hit them, but that was just bad aim since im not used to the M4.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 11:37:46 AM »
Can't think of a better example of seeing and shooting thru walls.  I was on the other side of the wall between the two barrack buildings.  I was seen/killed thru the wall... any explanation?

He's lobbing HE over the wall into the barracks. The splash damage killed your M8.

Note that the trajectory of other players tank rounds is recreated in a simplified way in the in AH. For example, when you roll to a town under attack that's been hit by an enemy tank with HE rounds, you can often see his rounds going through the buildings and hitting the ground way beyond the town as if he had missed the buildings - which he hasn't and the houses still go down. It has been like that since forever.

I guess a similar thing is happening in this film - he is hitting the barracks on his frontend, but on yours (and thus in the film viewer) it looks as if his rounds go all the way through the barracks and hit the ground behind.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 11:48:51 AM »
"HE" shot at a building, barracks or VH is able to track, or blowup  anything from a Panzer on down to a Jeep that is close enough to the wall. I have seen T34/85 tracked this way but never seen one killed. Panthers and Tigers seem to be unaffected.

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 12:53:12 PM »
Sure, I can see that for the light vehicles.  However, the film shows the shots going over the barracks and the shell holes showing up on the upslope behind the barracks (and me) none of his shots hit the barracks from my perspective and the last shot (not clearly seen) appeared to go directly thru (or hit) the wall - perhaps that's the splash that killed me, just puzzling considering how far I was from the that wall. 

Considering we were both immobile, I don't think it can be explained by connections, so it would be nice to compare perspectives even if only to show people who make those claims what is happening and perhaps lessen those claims of cheat this, hack that.

"HE" shot at a building, barracks or VH is able to track, or blowup  anything from a Panzer on down to a Jeep that is close enough to the wall. I have seen T34/85 tracked this way but never seen one killed. Panthers and Tigers seem to be unaffected.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 01:24:32 PM »
Sure, I can see that for the light vehicles.  However, the film shows the shots going over the barracks and the shell holes showing up on the upslope behind the barracks (and me) none of his shots hit the barracks from my perspective

Either you skipped my explanation or I am on ignore  :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 01:35:54 PM »
I guess that's plausible enough - it got confusing because I wasn't seeing any explosion effects nearby.  Maybe this and the wall/tree splash can be explained this way as well.  Lots of people aren't familiar with all the variables that go into making this game playable.

He's lobbing HE over the wall into the barracks. The splash damage killed your M8.

Note that the trajectory of other players tank rounds is recreated in a simplified way in the in AH. For example, when you roll to a town under attack that's been hit by an enemy tank with HE rounds, you can often see his rounds going through the buildings and hitting the ground way beyond the town as if he had missed the buildings - which he hasn't and the houses still go down. It has been like that since forever.

I guess a similar thing is happening in this film - he is hitting the barracks on his frontend, but on yours (and thus in the film viewer) it looks as if his rounds go all the way through the barracks and hit the ground behind.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 02:41:15 PM »
I guess that's plausible enough - it got confusing because I wasn't seeing any explosion effects nearby.  Maybe this and the wall/tree splash can be explained this way as well.  Lots of people aren't familiar with all the variables that go into making this game playable.

Why didn't you just send your film to Hitech?

Do you think anyone here has any authority to address any issue?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2023, 02:58:33 PM »
Because people with a clue, like Lusche, can give a short answer in layman terms, i.e., provide a perspective/experience that might be overlooked and doesn't need an answer from the source.  What Lushe did was provide plausible explanation to the discrepancy I was seeing.  If Haggerty had saved/posted his film, it'd have been understood then, but not necessarily explained.

I see a lot of gv players confused about how gv's/ objects and terrains are modeled, let alone the interwebz stuff. Maybe this will help them see it a bit differently.

Why didn't you just send your film to Hitech?

Do you think anyone here has any authority to address any issue?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2023, 03:36:12 PM »
Because people with a clue, like Lusche, can give a short answer in layman terms, i.e., provide a perspective/experience that might be overlooked and doesn't need an answer from the source.  What Lushe did was provide plausible explanation to the discrepancy I was seeing.  If Haggerty had saved/posted his film, it'd have been understood then, but not necessarily explained.

I see a lot of gv players confused about how gv's/ objects and terrains are modeled, let alone the interwebz stuff. Maybe this will help them see it a bit differently.

OK.  Fair enough.

What would really be helpful is HTC to link an FAQ for stuff like this, and the repeating misunderstanding about how collisions work and shooter side hit calculations and such.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2023, 08:53:06 PM »

It's always good to remain open to possible explanations when something is in question. There are many illusions and unknowns. I don't think HT needs to hear about every concern. I remember back in the day getting 60-120 emails a day from players, exhausting.

I think what ya did was ok, ya had a concern, someone gave and explanation, you accepted it, we all learned something. :)
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP