Author Topic: Heat, heat and more heat  (Read 2661 times)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Heat, heat and more heat
« on: July 25, 2023, 06:26:56 AM »
It is not just in the USA that record high temperature have been seen but around the world.

Not here tho which so far this summer has been fairly mild with one week with high temperature but not record highs.

What has your summer been, weather wise, like this year?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Heat, heat and more heat
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 06:30:21 AM »
Hot.  :cool:

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 07:39:06 AM »
Triple digit heat index for days on end..

Early morning is about it for outdoor activity

Have to feel for those that have to work out in it daily

Counting the days for the 1st cool front sometime in nov..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 07:48:15 AM »
This doesn't feel as hot as the summer of 1983.   

I think someone played with how they calculate or average and that every succeeding year will have "higher figures" even if it does not rise further.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 08:16:13 AM »
Colorado's summer so far has been slightly cooler and significantly wetter than a typical year.  I think typical rainfall average for the year is 17", and many places have already exceeded their average annual totals.   I think only 2% of the State was still considered "in drought" (far SE corner).    Much of the grass around here is still green; by this time of year typically it would be turning brown.   

We're back in a hot week now though with daily highs in the upper 90s.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 08:29:28 AM »
West Virginia has been relatively cool. May and June were very cool and dry. Only in the last 3-4 weeks has the humidity returned. This week are expecting a return to somewhat normal summer temps in the 90s.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 09:20:52 AM »
We have had hotter years. The change seems to be less educated people. They do not read and just believe anything they are told.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 10:15:54 AM »
We have had hotter years. The change seems to be less educated people. They do not read and just believe anything they are told.

It seems every year they forget that summers are hot!

I've seen it about 100° max in FL where Im at. Doubt it will get any hotter than that. Should cool off slightly by Sept. Higher heats in FL usually bring the rain that cools it off a bit.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 10:16:41 AM »
In my nowadays residence at SE Europe, we went from prolonged winter to hot summer in less than a week. Daily temperatures jumped from around 15°C(59°F) to 32°C (90°F) over few nights. Then in July regularly 38°C (100F) so I decided it's perfect time for a road trip up to north. Now I'm writing this not so far from Polar Circle and temps are from 15°C(59°F) at nights up to 25°C (77°F) during the day. Almost too cool for me.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2023, 10:19:43 AM »
It seems every year they forget that summers are hot!

I've seen it about 100° max in FL where Im at. Doubt it will get any hotter than that. Should cool off slightly by Sept. Higher heats in FL usually bring the rain that cools it off a bit.

Your winters are fantastic. Used to spend my winter vacations in FL at late 80s and early 90s. Was living in Finland and got enough of snow and ice.

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 10:40:48 AM »
Teh erf has a fever.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2023, 10:40:55 AM »
Meanwhile in Phoenix:

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) - Our relentless heat wave continues on Monday as records continue to fall. So far, Phoenix already passed 110 degrees with a record tying high of 116, so the record streak of 110+ degree days in a row now stands at 25 days. We had a morning low of 94 degrees, making it 14 days in a row with lows of 90 degrees or above, doubling the record of a week set back in July into August of 2020.

The streak of 115 degree days in a row ended on Saturday, tying the record of 6 days set back in June of 2021. Our Excessive Heat Warning has been extended until Thursday night for Phoenix and most Southern Arizona.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2023, 11:15:15 AM »

exactly

"hottest day EVER ON EARTH!"

No way to verify that, but modern methods being used only existed since 1979.

nothing is abnormal. These heat waves have happened throughout history and it takes only 1 minute to look it up.

We have an el nino year. Those vary in intensity.

Just weather patterns. It's all normal

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2023, 11:49:07 AM »
Your winters are fantastic. Used to spend my winter vacations in FL at late 80s and early 90s. Was living in Finland and got enough of snow and ice.

Yup, real nice here in the winter for sure. It's hilarious though that people who have lived here for a while think its blistering cold 😆

Meanwhile in Phoenix:

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) - Our relentless heat wave continues on Monday as records continue to fall. So far, Phoenix already passed 110 degrees with a record tying high of 116, so the record streak of 110+ degree days in a row now stands at 25 days. We had a morning low of 94 degrees, making it 14 days in a row with lows of 90 degrees or above, doubling the record of a week set back in July into August of 2020.

The streak of 115 degree days in a row ended on Saturday, tying the record of 6 days set back in June of 2021. Our Excessive Heat Warning has been extended until Thursday night for Phoenix and most Southern Arizona.

Did you know that Phoenix, or AZ, would have less molecules and CO2 in its local atmosphere than say, Florida, which is way more populated and would have way more C02 and particles in the atmosphere since it's located closer to water sources, closer to the equator, so as to have a tropical climate. Based on the current understanding of "climate change" wouldn't you find it strange that AZ is hotter than FL?

Just sayin   :D
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2023, 01:38:39 PM »
AZ is not "hotter" than FL, if you refer to the average annual statewide temperature.  The average long-term statewide annual temperature of AZ is 59.7°F, according to the Arizona State Climate Office.  The statewide annual average temperature of Florida was 72.5°F in 2022, according to a report from the Florida Climate Center.  (BTW that's 2.3° warmer than the long-term average from the 20th century).  Quite a bit warmer than AZ if you average temperatures over the year.

Now in terms of summertime record "hot" temperatures, no, I don't find it surprising that Arizona beats Florida.  AZ is located in the one of the Earth's global desert belts (centered around 30N and 30S latitude).  This is where most of the world's deserts occur, and where the hottest temperatures on Earth have been recorded.   FL's temperature is moderated by its proximity to ocean.