Author Topic: Bases to dense  (Read 1618 times)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Bases to dense
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2023, 05:45:10 AM »
Kennai/Jimmy,
 The only gripes I hear about your maps..."Could he have added any more hills, Trees yadda yadda."

That from GVers, and you, Sir OF ALL fellers know how I deal with GVs! :devil  :rofl   

If I said it once, I said it thrice..."If they wanted to defend their base and have more fun, they wouldn't waste time climbing to 25k and then getting there!  Too LATE! Airfield was 3/4 to 1 1/2 sector away. Happened 5 times last evening. 
Not very many fellers care about the "MAP WINS" and it is fine by me!  YES, it is fun to do coordinated Missions, but is NOT the Be All-End All for fun. I join Missions all the time, when they are posted and I Ride for the Brand!  I am more than happy to fly CAS in my Spitfire MK16-A-10c with 3 Tank Busters, Low and Slow and heavy.  HEHE   Gonna get "Picked"  maybe....hehehe Come On Down, your the next Alt Monkey, on the Price for flight :devil
 I see no differences in FIGHTS to be had between maps..except for BuzzSaw and maybe Ndisles?  Even with Kongs "Ranch Pizza" map! :rofl
Anyone gripping about your maps...SHOW ME YOURS or Shut The Front Up....too much Sugar Honey Iced Tea as is, these days
BW1stpar/ULCapkid
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 06:07:18 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2023, 08:41:28 AM »
I like some distance to get up to 15k and full speed before I get to any fight, almost never the base right next door.

That's why I don't think base density is an issue.  Typically, if two bases are a sector (25 miles) apart, you can get up to 10-12k easily depending on the plane.  If the bases are 10-15 miles apart, you can lift from the next base over and still not be that far away.
Since Tour 86 (Banshee7 since Tour 90)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2023, 09:10:14 AM »
When did 10k become the norm?

I think I rarely got above 6k for the 1st 15 years I played this game..

Now it's  10k minimum or you will be the low guy..

Closer bases should lower the altitude imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2023, 09:42:58 AM »
If you want the alt, you can just take an alternate route rather than nose on base and auto climb.  There is usually the option of coming from another base at maybe more of a high speed climb also.  I don't really see that as a valid concern.  The closer bases seem to get people to fight a little more aggressively, more frequently because they arent invested into a large amount time to get to the party.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2023, 09:45:42 AM »
If you want the alt, you can just take an alternate route rather than nose on base and auto climb.  There is usually the option of coming from another base at maybe more of a high speed climb also.  I don't really see that as a valid concern.  The closer bases seem to get people to fight a little more aggressively, more frequently because they arent invested into a large amount time to get to the party.

Agreed.

The back-field bases are there for those who want more alt.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2023, 10:13:34 AM »
Definitely need closer bases. The best fights are when there is a CV nearby and there is a 5k furball. A big issue already with the low numbers is the amount of time it takes to get to the fight. There are already plenty of options for those who like to climb above everyone before they engage.

PS You're missing an o.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2023, 10:48:08 AM »
Agreed.

The back-field bases are there for those who want more alt.

There are various POV, comes down to how one squints their eyes. I’m ok with either decision. I’m just happy its still around to fly MP

I like coming in at 400-500 mph
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 11:14:45 AM by Animl-AW »
Aces High Tech Hangar
https://animl-aw.com

Masters of the Air Scenario Video
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=_eT2W-33ZatON0UV

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2023, 11:17:26 AM »
Kennai/Jimmy,
 The only gripes I hear about your maps..."Could he have added any more hills, Trees yadda yadda."

Yeah Par, I get a little ribbing about that too, all in good fun. Funny part is, I drive every spawn at least 3 times minimum, I do try to eliminate the steep hills as much as possible, and make the trees a balance for the gv-ers vs the flyers.

To everyone else, I appreciate the feedback, good or bad. I enjoy work with the Terrain Editor, and spend almost as much time on it as I do in game. :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2023, 12:21:44 PM »
Definitely need closer bases. The best fights are when there is a CV nearby and there is a 5k furball. A big issue already with the low numbers is the amount of time it takes to get to the fight. There are already plenty of options for those who like to climb above everyone before they engage.

PS You're missing an o.

“The best fights” is very subjective.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2023, 12:24:39 PM »
Yeah Par, I get a little ribbing about that too, all in good fun. Funny part is, I drive every spawn at least 3 times minimum, I do try to eliminate the steep hills as much as possible, and make the trees a balance for the gv-ers vs the flyers.

To everyone else, I appreciate the feedback, good or bad. I enjoy work with the Terrain Editor, and spend almost as much time on it as I do in game. :D

Whoa what you drive then each three times?? How long did that take on Etoma lol. This is fascinating to me and wow I am now way more appreciative of our cartographers! :salute

That said I have some notes…  :rofl
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2023, 12:34:46 PM »

Back in the day, I worked on things much more than flying. Its just what I liked to do. Today its the opposite. It’s an odd feeling to not be working on something. I’m on ignore, so I guess I’ll stay this way.
Aces High Tech Hangar

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2023, 12:58:59 PM »
Whoa what you drive then each three times?? How long did that take on Etoma lol. This is fascinating to me and wow I am now way more appreciative of our cartographers! :salute

That said I have some notes…  :rofl

etoma took about 4 months from the time Oboe and I started discussing it, to when it was first put in the MA. We then had the icon issue. Took me about 6 weeks to figure out that problem.

I use Airteks terrain generation program, which takes real NASA generated topographical data and creates a Aces High terrain map. This data can also be scaled up or down as needed. With that it is imperative any where gv's will be used, or where Bases, Towns or Strats are located, you have to insure reasonable access. This requires actual driving from each spawn point, to the town/base/strat it is accessing. Then each Air base needs to be checked to insure fighters and bombers can launch from the majority of the available runways. Tedious but very rewarding when it all comes together. I normally do the spawn test drives in an M3, it has reasonable speed, and yet reflects steep hills quickly. Aircraft launch test are normally done with a Fully loaded Lancaster and Auto Takeoff. :)
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2023, 01:03:56 PM »
etoma took about 4 months from the time Oboe and I started discussing it, to when it was first put in the MA. We then had the icon issue. Took me about 6 weeks to figure out that problem.

I use Airteks terrain generation program, which takes real NASA generated topographical data and creates a Aces High terrain map. This data can also be scaled up or down as needed. With that it is imperative any where gv's will be used, or where Bases, Towns or Strats are located, you have to insure reasonable access. This requires actual driving from each spawn point, to the town/base/strat it is accessing. Then each Air base needs to be checked to insure fighters and bombers can launch from the majority of the available runways. Tedious but very rewarding when it all comes together. I normally do the spawn test drives in an M3, it has reasonable speed, and yet reflects steep hills quickly. Aircraft launch test are normally done with a Fully loaded Lancaster and Auto Takeoff. :)

Well then we need to discuss runway trees lol.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2023, 02:03:27 PM »
When did 10k become the norm?

I think I rarely got above 6k for the 1st 15 years I played this game..

Now it's  10k minimum or you will be the low guy..

Closer bases should lower the altitude imo

Eagler

Its kinda been a concept that one should be 15k, for various reasons. Some planes were built to fight at that alt, and ya have pickers who come in at 20k. That said, half a sector away I nose down in a decline of -2, by then time I arrive I’m cooking at 525 with no compression on the deck. How one pilots is personal preference. There are no rules. :) .
Aces High Tech Hangar

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2023, 02:28:30 PM »
Its kinda been a concept that one should be 15k, for various reasons. Some planes were built to fight at that alt, and ya have pickers who come in at 20k. That said, half a sector away I nose down in a decline of -2, by then time I arrive I’m cooking at 525 with no compression on the deck. How one pilots is personal preference. There are no rules. :) .
>

A P47 can float like a butterfly above 15k.