Author Topic: Your car is spying on you with your cell phones help.  (Read 3012 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Your car is spying on you with your cell phones help.
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2023, 10:26:27 AM »
Asians in general do better in American schools than other demographics. It's not because they are smarter. It's because they take school seriously. In their own countries as well as here. Our schools are degenerating rapidly.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2023, 09:16:10 AM »
The only thing we own newer than 2004 is my 2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout, and my 2007 Night Train. I won't buy newer vehicles. I despise them.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2023, 08:04:52 PM »
Always use VPN on phones

Why? What do you think it does for you?

All you are doing is handing over your traffic to a single gateway, which can now intercept, identify you, and monitor you far far easier. And you may even be forwarding your traffic into a jurisdiction where you are now committing crimes (you'd be surprised at what is legal in one country and not in another).

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2023, 02:38:06 AM »
All you are doing is handing over your traffic to a single gateway, which can now intercept, identify you, and monitor you far far easier.

You mean all these VPN companies are selling subscriptions based on the illusion of extra security when in fact it's worse? Bloody Mark Felton lied to us!
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2023, 09:54:20 AM »
FWIW I called WithSecure/F-secure some time ago since one of our ISPs had been very active selling their VPN service. I just had to ask whether I had lost something important. The answer was a clear no, threre's no new threats to regular users that would require VPN. Yet they seem to market their "Total" package rather than the basic Antivirus - which is understandable because everyone else is doing so with their products.

Funny thing is that starting from Windows everyone wants to know your location "for better service and more interesting content". And what does VPN do? It fakes the location!

Company usage is another thing as it allows contacting the headquarter servers safely from any network. But the grannies are made to believe it's an advanced virus protection. Agreed, it would make connecting to Harry the Hacker's Free WiFi safer. But in reality those people never use any public network. Those carrying their laptops or tablets with them while traveling and using hotel WiFi are a very small minority in all age groups. Old ones don't even know how to and the young ones rely on their cell phones.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2023, 10:22:48 AM »
Why? What do you think it does for you?

All you are doing is handing over your traffic to a single gateway, which can now intercept, identify you, and monitor you far far easier. And you may even be forwarding your traffic into a jurisdiction where you are now committing crimes (you'd be surprised at what is legal in one country and not in another).

What he ^ said

This entire subject opens a can of worms that may not fit in one book. This convo could extend for months. I'm certainly not going to say you're wrong. It's a bit of a mix of paranoia, and a reason to be paranoid.

Quite frankly, unless one understands what they read in coding, they really have no idea what it's doing. There's no blanket answer. It all depends on who's programming and how that specific app (or chip) is programmed. It's almost infinite on how any coding can gather information and what they do with it. Almost every app and web page collects something. Do you trust every other piece of software you use? If so, that's foolish.

A lot of software is just the easy path to finding and making settings that already exist in Windows. You already have the ability to do things like setup proxies and static connections. If one can program (Code) you can write your own encryption software, it's not rocket science to an avid user.

As far as my opinion on VPN, I'd rather have my data and my location hidden and/or encrypted through one funnel than spewed in every direction with no leash at all. And hope they don't do as you say. I'm sure someone wrote one that does. Unless you write it yourself, you really have no idea which one does what you say, or not.

When I wrote XP Game Launcher (more in-depth than "Gaming Mode" in Windows 11, I think a MS player stole the idea from me lol), it was about 15k lines of code. I wanted to know how many people actually used it, that would tell me if I'd spend anymore time on it. So that no one got counted twice I used the fingerprint of that device, which I encrypted in a file on my server. The fingerprint number used to encrypt itself. Therefore I never knew the number. I did this to make sure it didn't re-recount. All it did was make a count, nothing else. Now if I were a deviate mind that could be a problem. But totally innocent. I could have used your IP address, but I didn't need to know where you're located, nor did I need that number to be out there, encrypted or not.

Point being, some collect for good intentions, some don't. It's very hard to tell the difference. One should be on guard when using ANYTHING that connected to Land-line, RF, Cell, Cable, Satellite, Internet. The only true escape is to use none of it. Point being, today, that would be extremely hard. OTOH, paranoia can lead to insanity.

Therefore, I suggest do what you can and put some form of leash on it. Limit what you can and hope for the best. IMHO, I suggest use VPN over nothing. It's just a personal preference.

It can be done, but there is so much data flying around, you may have a better chance of being hit by lightening. You're a digit.

Master of the Air Scenario Video
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=QZEvHGf1Le0YlaHf

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP[/

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2023, 01:02:46 PM »
As far as my opinion on VPN, I'd rather have my data and my location hidden and/or encrypted through one funnel than spewed in every direction with no leash at all.
That too. There's plenty of options to choose from, but be careful whom you trust.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2023, 08:59:31 AM »
You guys are on fire….i like it

Point to point tunneling protocol has been in windows since Win95 and NT4.0
I don’t remember it in W4W 3.11 but I was too busy installing the protocol stacks required to get on the internet.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2023, 10:06:25 AM »
Interestingly my car is coming up on the termination of the starlink subscription that I had when we bought the car. It was one of the things provided like the intro to sat radio. I got bored years ago with the sat radio and dropped that in previous vehicles. I have a bit of a problem with the concept that you buy a car then they want you to subscribe to maintain all of it's functions. I'm going to pass on the $100 a year starlink thing. I don't need it to use the car, and if I did I'd be getting rid of the car.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2023, 01:51:04 PM »
Funny thing is that starting from Windows everyone wants to know your location "for better service and more interesting content". And what does VPN do? It fakes the location!

It doesn't 'fake the location'. It takes all your traffic routes it out a specific exit point such that the traffic exits from a specific geo. Most people don't understand this has legal implications. There have also been multiple occasions where these vpn providers have admitted they do log data and they do provide those logs (with your identity) to law enforcement. Law enforcement love VPN providers because they are usually logged more information and retaining identity information for better than ISPs.

All data to and from websites is encrypted, ever since snowden revealed the spying the US does on the web there has been a mad rush to encrypt all protocols across the internet. That is why every website is HTTPS. If you go to an unencrypted website your browser will typically throw all sorts of warnings at you.

There are only two valid reasons to use a VPN for your phone or gaming PC. First is for better routing (if you ISP/Telco has crap routing); second is for geo based services (e.g. your geo is blocked or gets limited content). The privacy and encryption side is all bollocks.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2023, 03:52:50 PM »
It doesn't 'fake the location'. It takes all your traffic routes it out a specific exit point such that the traffic exits from a specific geo. Most people don't understand this has legal implications. There have also been multiple occasions where these vpn providers have admitted they do log data and they do provide those logs (with your identity) to law enforcement. Law enforcement love VPN providers because they are usually logged more information and retaining identity information for better than ISPs.

All data to and from websites is encrypted, ever since snowden revealed the spying the US does on the web there has been a mad rush to encrypt all protocols across the internet. That is why every website is HTTPS. If you go to an unencrypted website your browser will typically throw all sorts of warnings at you.

There are only two valid reasons to use a VPN for your phone or gaming PC. First is for better routing (if you ISP/Telco has crap routing); second is for geo based services (e.g. your geo is blocked or gets limited content). The privacy and encryption side is all bollocks.

One other thing it does protect your IP from those gamers who may want to ddos and knock you offline. Illegal but still being done.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2023, 07:01:04 PM »
One other thing it does protect your IP from those gamers who may want to ddos and knock you offline. Illegal but still being done.

Only if your ISP has no DDOS protection and your VPN provider does. The VPN provider line of "we mask your IP so no DDoS" is BS.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2023, 01:32:14 AM »
It doesn't 'fake the location'. It takes all your traffic routes it out a specific exit point such that the traffic exits from a specific geo.
Agreed, that's the exact explanation. Mine was a shortcut. Then again, if I'm here in Finland but choose a VPN server in Dallas, Tx, doesn't it show my location being there rather than here? At least that's how people fool broadcasting companies so they can watch content that's meant only for local residents. In my simplified thinking that's faking the location.

Kotisivuni

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2023, 09:39:24 AM »
Agreed, that's the exact explanation. Mine was a shortcut. Then again, if I'm here in Finland but choose a VPN server in Dallas, Tx, doesn't it show my location being there rather than here? At least that's how people fool broadcasting companies so they can watch content that's meant only for local residents. In my simplified thinking that's faking the location.

It does work that way but some content providers may not use a known VPN service provider IP as verification of your actual location.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.