Author Topic: Another "should I come back to the game" post  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Connery

• Nickel Member
Another "should I come back to the game" post
« on: December 10, 2023, 02:46:56 PM »
Hey All, I used to fly with "The Few" yet have not played the game I think since perhaps 2011. I had a brief foray in 2022 but being in Europe during my peak times there was a distinct lack of players.

I have read numbers are down etc, but how bad is it really? Are there any really active squads that play regularly, I might resub and only play late on Friday/Saturday nights if that's when I need to play to get some bigger numbers.

What is the game like now just in terms of activity and not having to fly for 30 minutes to get in a furball ?

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Another "should I come back to the game" post
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 02:50:25 PM »
My advice would be to take a test run for a month and see if you like it. Otherwise you're gonna make your decision based on the biased opinions of others in my biased opinion. :)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 02:54:06 PM »
110-130 in the MA nightly. A bit more inflated on Fridays and Saturdays, especially on FSO nights. Winter has a bump too. Plus others do weekly side stuff in other arenas. It’s still super fun and there is a lot of new stuff depending on when you last played.

I have been back a year and am glad I did it. For me I prefer not being in a squad these days but I like being available help out wherever
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 01:49:58 PM »
I think the game is still what you make of it. 

I've found some fights everytime i've popped my head in and some of the new maps may encourage further combat.   However we both know you have no patience or tolerance for the types of gameplay that became commonplace and they still occur frequently.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 05:39:37 AM »
few are non-existent in euro times. Maybe if Bruv would show up more often.....
but given lack of events in that time zone that's quite irrelevant.

Numbers are low, I'm sorry to say. It is a challenge to find a fight on early weekdays.

but..... it is still fun once you find a good and balanced fight. Most names are old hands, most fights are pretty challenging.

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 06:45:05 AM »
Hey All, I used to fly with "The Few" yet have not played the game I think since perhaps 2011. I had a brief foray in 2022 but being in Europe during my peak times there was a distinct lack of players.

I have read numbers are down etc, but how bad is it really? Are there any really active squads that play regularly, I might resub and only play late on Friday/Saturday nights if that's when I need to play to get some bigger numbers.

What is the game like now just in terms of activity and not having to fly for 30 minutes to get in a furball ?

I was in the same position, thinking about the "old days" of good squad play and big numbers.. those days are long gone (as appears is Hitech's attention and the possibility of updates). Living in the EU, combined with the whining and cheating going on, has just turned me away. I'm just too old for all the childish nonsense anymore. Plenty of activity for EU/UK timezone squad play in BMS Falcon, IL-2 and DCS.... had high hopes.
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 11:28:15 AM »
I was in the same position, thinking about the "old days" of good squad play and big numbers.. those days are long gone (as appears is Hitech's attention and the possibility of updates). Living in the EU, combined with the whining and cheating going on, has just turned me away. I'm just too old for all the childish nonsense anymore. Plenty of activity for EU/UK timezone squad play in BMS Falcon, IL-2 and DCS.... had high hopes.

Sorry to see you leave Icer, I would point out though, claims of cheating are NOT in fact cheats. Most of those types of comments come from players trying to explain away, their own failures. There maybe a couple of current players smart enough to develop some type of cheat in the game, but I doubt it. In addition, why spend the time to develop a cheat for a game with an average of 120 players in prime time?  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 12:01:45 PM »
Sorry to see you leave Icer, I would point out though, claims of cheating are NOT in fact cheats. Most of those types of comments come from players trying to explain away, their own failures. There maybe a couple of current players smart enough to develop some type of cheat in the game, but I doubt it. In addition, why spend the time to develop a cheat for a game with an average of 120 players in prime time?  :salute

I doubt there is much blatant "cheating", it's the changing sides to get/give info, ganging up on other players, and general BS gameplay that isn't worth the aggravation. Not to say, that without anyone really paying attention (development-wise) someone dedicated and smart enough can't develop cheats, I'm sure they can. I wish all well, but it's quite clear at this point my $$ and attention belong elsewhere..
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2023, 12:19:58 PM »
I doubt there is much blatant "cheating", it's the changing sides to get/give info, ganging up on other players, and general BS gameplay that isn't worth the aggravation. Not to say, that without anyone really paying attention (development-wise) someone dedicated and smart enough can't develop cheats, I'm sure they can. I wish all well, but it's quite clear at this point my $$ and attention belong elsewhere..

The fights are a live and well. The number fluctuations throughout the day create unique opportunities for engagements. Obviously the best times to play are evenings for the greatest action but the game is active stoll at all times of day.
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline Simon

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 01:10:33 PM »
it's quite clear at this point my $$ and attention belong elsewhere..

Icer, please do not let this forum sway your decision on whether or not to resubscribe. The members here represent a very small percentage of the players, and include several that don't even play at all. The opinions are highly skewed as a result.

The vast majority of players do not experience harrassment, or questionable tactics at all. They go about their business, having fun in their own way, and have no idea about the drama or politics that surround a few. Staying away from channel 200 is highly recommended.

My suggestion would be to invest the 15 Euros and see for yourself. The worst that can happen is you're out a few bucks. The best that can happen is you're out a whole lot more bucks.

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2023, 01:22:41 PM »
Icer, please do not let this forum sway your decision on whether or not to resubscribe. The members here represent a very small percentage of the players, and include several that don't even play at all. The opinions are highly skewed as a result.

The vast majority of players do not experience harrassment, or questionable tactics at all. They go about their business, having fun in their own way, and have no idea about the drama or politics that surround a few. Staying away from channel 200 is highly recommended.

My suggestion would be to invest the 15 Euros and see for yourself. The worst that can happen is you're out a few bucks. The best that can happen is you're out a whole lot more bucks.

Thanks Simon, I do understand the drama aspect of Forums, been going on since Compuserve in the 80's. It's a combination of negative factors for me, the major one being that I find lone-wolf play quite boring. Being in EST +6 i'm likely not going to find cohesive groups/squadrons playing at all, and then I narrow it down even more because I find just jumping into furballs (group/squad or not) a total waste of my time. Missions/Objectives/Group tactics are all I am interested in, I don't see (finding that group to fly with) happening here. Maybe if I was still in the US I would have a slim chance, but I chose to live in paradise so it's on me..

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2023, 03:21:47 PM »
Missions/Objectives/Group tactics are all I am interested in, I don't see (finding that group to fly with) happening here.

Possibly you should talk to Merv, he's a proponent of that style.

- oldman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2023, 03:55:35 PM »
Thanks Simon, I do understand the drama aspect of Forums, been going on since Compuserve in the 80's. It's a combination of negative factors for me, the major one being that I find lone-wolf play quite boring. Being in EST +6 i'm likely not going to find cohesive groups/squadrons playing at all, and then I narrow it down even more because I find just jumping into furballs (group/squad or not) a total waste of my time. Missions/Objectives/Group tactics are all I am interested in, I don't see (finding that group to fly with) happening here. Maybe if I was still in the US I would have a slim chance, but I chose to live in paradise so it's on me..

It will only cost you $15 to sign up for a month and see for your self if the style of game play is available at your playing time. Dont base your decision on what you read here...... we except for this post....  :P

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2023, 04:16:37 PM »

i get where you're coming from. My fondest memories of WB is when we had a squad night, 10 to 30 guys would get together, arena had 300+ people so we could always run a mission without risk of saturating place totally.

If we got together and organized into a euro time squad, we'd be flying missions of 10 planes to whack an empty field... no fun.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2023, 05:36:21 PM »
If we got together and organized into a euro time squad, we'd be flying missions of 10 planes to whack an empty field... no fun.

This gives me some serious EW Arena flashbacks  :uhoh
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman