Author Topic: Miss my jabo.  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Professor_Fate

• Zinc Member
Miss my jabo.
« on: January 04, 2024, 09:17:28 AM »
It’s been awhile, last time I had subscription to AcesHigh was back when HiTech and crew believed the earth was flat.  I never was that good of a pilot but with so many people online then all had to do was hone my skills as an opportunist.  Life was good.

Anyway, I do miss flying under the DAR and Jabo too, any way to bring that back? Ground attack played a bigger role in operations back then but not so much anymore. I seem to remember I in JG2 could I could level a fighter or vehicle hanger with a combined 190-A8 bomb and gun run.  I was thinking, due to their shear size still require a truck load of ordinance only strategic heavy bombers can deliver to level the towns, cities and factories.  But reduce the ordinance requirement to knock out individual hangers at airbases so tactical ground attack fighters could play more of a role too.
Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Miss my jabo.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 10:02:43 AM »
Hangars need 2,780lbs of ord... this can be carried by a variety of jabo ftrs (mostly US rides)

That 2,780 lbs would take 2x 1k eggs and 6 rckts (US) - but sometimes a near miss requires a strafing run to finish it off.

The 110Gs are also capable.

For early/mid war planes or later nations with limited jabo capacity, you just need 2-5 players targeting a hangar. Or use a variety of light/med bombers - a single TU can easily take out a hangar.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 10:20:19 AM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 10:47:22 AM »
  I was thinking, due to their shear size still require a truck load of ordinance only strategic heavy bombers can deliver to level the towns, cities and factories.  But reduce the ordinance requirement to knock out individual hangers at airbases so tactical ground attack fighters could play more of a role too.

A single Jabo can do tremendous damage to factories (IMHO even way too much), or (when selecting something like a P-47) a single hangar. And of course severely pork an airfield. This is already giving medium bombers kinda hard time finding a purpose in non-strategic gameplay.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 11:03:31 AM »
You can take out a hanger with an 190-A8 with a full load and 2-3 strafing passes. 

The mosquito fighter can as well.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 11:11:54 AM »
A single Jabo can do tremendous damage to factories (IMHO even way too much), or (when selecting something like a P-47) a single hangar. And of course severely pork an airfield. This is already giving medium bombers kinda hard time finding a purpose in non-strategic gameplay.
Seems only real role medium bombers have is sinking CVs

Offline Professor_Fate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 11:46:14 AM »
That’s a problem, why and where is anyone going to find 2-5 players just to knock out 1 hangar, IMHO it’s a fruitless endeavor and likely why we don’t see such missions anymore. It would be easier to find 2-5 players if ordnance requirements on hangars were reduced and hopefully contribute more to overall game play and options.  I’m no expert, but I’m thinking a 500 lb bomb would obliterate a r/l aircraft hangar or vehicle garage including whatever’s inside it, it’s not like they’re 10 foot thick reinforced concrete u-boat pens.  Also, Heavies would still be required to carpet bomb towns to prep them for capture and needed to destroy cities and factories.

Though might have to increase the towns ordnance requirements to prevent buffs from doing everything at once.

Just my 0.2 cents.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 11:49:36 AM by Professor_Fate »
Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 11:50:59 AM »
That’s a problem, why and where is anyone going to find 2-5 players just to knock out 1 hangar, IMHO it’s a fruitless endeavor and likely why we don’t see such missions anymore. It would be easier to find 2-5 players if ordnance requirements on hangars were reduced and hopefully contribute more to overall game play and options.  I’m no expert, but I’m thinking a 500 lb bomb would obliterate a r/l aircraft hangar or vehicle garage including whatever’s inside it, it’s not like they’re 10 foot thick reinforced concrete u-boat pens.  Also, Heavies would still be required to carpet bomb towns to prep them for capture and needed to destroy cities and factories.

Though might have to increase the towns ordnance requirements to prevent buffs from doing everything at once.

Just my 0.2 cents.

We do a lot of hanger busting on the rook side! It’s usually the first thing I do each night is dump a vh. I’ve been trying to find more ways to do it so as not to be bored.

Lately I’ve decided I’m going to start also focusing on the troop factories and tents on the bases to thwart base takes and resups.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 12:31:16 PM »
We do a lot of hanger busting on the rook side! It’s usually the first thing I do each night is dump a vh. I’ve been trying to find more ways to do it so as not to be bored.

Lately I’ve decided I’m going to start also focusing on the troop factories and tents on the bases to thwart base takes and resups.

Agreed Dadtallica, imo one of the most ignored, highly important factories for base take defense. :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 12:51:36 PM »
Agreed Dadtallica, imo one of the most ignored, highly important factories for base take defense. :rock

Until recently I didn’t know disabling troops at a base also stops resupplies which is a defense tactic today used way more than I remember in the old days.

I’d they have no fellas for the seats the hangers won’t matter lol.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 05:43:26 AM »
You can take out a hanger with an 190-A8 with a full load and 2-3 strafing passes. 

The mosquito fighter can as well.
YES IT CAN!  :furious   One minute I am, "What he doing/where he be at?".....then"Mother Trucker...he got the Ammo! THRICE!!!!" :furious SOB!!!! You even bombed me! LOL   OK   Yes, I deserved that one!  :rofl What is good for the Spitfire, has to be good for the Mosquito, you know. ...right? :rofl  This is becoming a most anticipated situation, of an evening. :rock     
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 08:29:18 AM »
That’s a problem, why and where is anyone going to find 2-5 players just to knock out 1 hangar

You can easily knock out a hangar in one pass with a P-47D-40 and still have ordnance left.  I definitely do not think we need to soften hangars.  Hangars definitely don't need to be softened up.  Realistically, yeah, a 500lbs bomb would destroy a hangar, but we have to think about gameplay.

I do not think the reasons you listed are responsible for lack of missions. 
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 08:35:36 AM »
YES IT CAN!  :furious   One minute I am, "What he doing/where he be at?".....then"Mother Trucker...he got the Ammo! THRICE!!!!" :furious SOB!!!! You even bombed me! LOL   OK   Yes, I deserved that one!  :rofl What is good for the Spitfire, has to be good for the Mosquito, you know. ...right? :rofl  This is becoming a most anticipated situation, of an evening. :rock     

lol when I saw you all pour out of the vh I decided to just drop my ords on all of you. I missed everyone else but you!  :salute :cheers:

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 11:44:56 AM »
Anyway, I do miss flying under the DAR and Jabo too, any way to bring that back? Ground attack played a bigger role in operations back then but not so much anymore. I seem to remember I in JG2 could I could level a fighter or vehicle hanger with a combined 190-A8 bomb and gun run.  I was thinking, due to their shear size still require a truck load of ordinance only strategic heavy bombers can deliver to level the towns, cities and factories.  But reduce the ordinance requirement to knock out individual hangers at airbases so tactical ground attack fighters could play more of a role too.

When I stopped playing the dar was that any plane within 6k of you showed an icon. It didn't matter if it was on the ground or not so I think the flying under the radar thing is a thing of the past. It was dang near impossible to sneak a goon with the new "dar" settings. I started referring to it as AWACS cause you there was no way to hide.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 12:36:58 PM »
When I stopped playing the dar was that any plane within 6k of you showed an icon. It didn't matter if it was on the ground or not so I think the flying under the radar thing is a thing of the past. It was dang near impossible to sneak a goon with the new "dar" settings. I started referring to it as AWACS cause you there was no way to hide.

Under dar now is 50ft or less. I do it on the water since you can just auto level but it’s not easy over the terrains.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2024, 02:48:38 PM »
60 feet.  Just sayin'

Under dar now is 50ft or less. I do it on the water since you can just auto level but it’s not easy over the terrains.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798