Author Topic: Dot Dar  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Dot Dar
« on: January 05, 2024, 07:52:25 PM »
Please get rid of the plane icon radar that shows bombers/fighters and go back to dot dar for both plane types.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Dot Dar
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 08:10:49 PM »
Why would you want to get rid of a radar that can tell if a mossie has guns or bombs?

The mossie with bombs shows as a bomber, while the same airframe equipped with guns show's as a fighter. That's one heck of a radar!

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 08:15:28 PM »
Why would you want to get rid of a radar that can tell if a mossie has guns or bombs?

The mossie with bombs shows as a bomber, while the same airframe equipped with guns show's as a fighter. That's one heck of a radar!

I think you are kind of missing a general point, and pointing out a really specific situation.

Maybe you should rethink the topic and don't consider a mosquito in any way.. because it's ugly and made of wood.

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 02:32:28 AM »
I think you are kind of missing a general point, and pointing out a really specific situation.

Maybe you should rethink the topic and don't consider a mosquito in any way.. because it's ugly and made of wood.
I think he gets the point and is providing an example for why your wish is needed

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 02:36:00 AM »
Reality vs. gameplay issue. During WW2, dar operators could guess the type based on speed and return signal strength, but it was more or less tombola. And especially Mossie gave very weak echo as it was made by carpenters. IMO, beautiful kite. One of the first I made as Airfix plastic kit model, when I was bit younger. More than 50 years younger.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 06:12:21 AM »
A delay in radar is needed as it was never as accurate as it is now back in ww2

The plane icon should be replaced with a dot so that you can't tell plane flight path direction from it imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 10:35:21 AM »
There's a update delay built in and is adjustable.  The current radar update is 5 seconds if I'm reading it correctly, which feels about right from what I see on the map.

A delay in radar is needed as it was never as accurate as it is now back in ww2

The plane icon should be replaced with a dot so that you can't tell plane flight path direction from it imo

Eagler
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 10:48:40 AM »
There's a update delay built in and is adjustable.  The current radar update is 5 seconds if I'm reading it correctly, which feels about right from what I see on the map.

I'd be a voter to double that to 10.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 11:18:17 AM »
I'd be a voter to double that to 10.

And remove the plane icon and replace it with a dot..should not be able to tell plane direction from a glance at it's dar icon

And not as accurate..just dots..maybe a larger dot for bomber or if two fighters are flying too close for the radar to tell it's two or more planes and not one..

Radar settings are the easiest settings that they can be imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2024, 11:43:11 AM »
And remove the plane icon and replace it with a dot..should not be able to tell plane direction from a glance at it's dar icon

And not as accurate..just dots..maybe a larger dot for bomber or if two fighters are flying too close for the radar to tell it's two or more planes and not one..

Radar settings are the easiest settings that they can be imo

Eagler

The singular dot not indicating aircraft type like we previously had would be just dandy.  Plus the delay.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2024, 01:01:58 PM »
I watched a documentary which claimed the German radar struggled to see the Mosquito clearly at all.  :banana:

consider a mosquito in any way.. because it's ugly and made of wood.
You fly a B-38 which has the aesthetic of a bunch of scaffolding poles cobbled together by Robinson Crusoe  :rofl
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2024, 01:28:15 PM »
I think he gets the point and is providing an example for why your wish is needed
Some get sarcasm, some don't :)

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2024, 06:09:10 PM »

“Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence.”
Oscar Wilde

+1 on dots, and + 1 on sarcasm.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2024, 07:29:30 PM »
Please get rid of the plane icon radar that shows bombers/fighters and go back to dot dar for both plane types.

:aok Yep.

This was one of the worst implementations to the game that I can recall. 
Things were already gamey, but this change was enough to make me bow out. ('but, but in real life there would be people on the ground spotting blah blah blah..')  That's simply a bunch of bull.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2024, 12:21:38 PM »
+1 for this wish
AND get rid of the invisible GVs and vehicle Dar. Make them visible at 2k no matter what bush they are under.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz