Author Topic: Dot Dar  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Re: Dot Dar
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2024, 01:25:17 PM »
Sigh…

Clearly the name “Aces High” doesn’t imply that it’s a flight sim at all. Neither does the fact that is lineage is derived directly from Warbirds and Air Warrior before that. Clearly its comparisons to IL-2 and DCS has nothing to do with flight sims either.

The first two sentences of the write up on the home page clearly stresses it’s not a flight sim either…

“Aces High takes the art and science of vintage WW1 and WW2 air combat and sets it in a high intensity online multiplayer environment.  Hundreds of players simultaneously battle it out against each other in massive aerial dogfights and bomber raids.”

…all these years I’ve been playing the wrong game. I’m so embarrassed. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Sorry seems I forgot the word “just” meaning it’s not only about airplanes. Last I checked tanks and boats don’t fly. Plenty of people never fly and that’s not a perspective that is often considered when complaining about A2A only.

You can add the website to the list of things never updated. Mostly the same since i started but the game is not.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 01:33:27 PM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2024, 09:52:45 AM »

I agree to removing the plane and GV icons from the radar, go back to dots and the proximity dar needs to go away. Bring back situational Awareness. One of the lamest things that was ever done to the game.

Lower the resupply time of M3s, jeeps etc. Or base it on ENY.

Bring back interdiction,  fix the convoys and trains so once you're destroyed truck/train car it adds time back to the base. And I would make so that time is applied to hangers also!

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2024, 10:45:29 AM »
I'm in agreement with dot dar proximity to go away. One thing I disliked was the hitech only gave us 2 choices back then when we were talking about radar. The old way vs the current way. And my thought was why not just make Radar at fields harder to destroy? The entire issue was the players would easily gun down radar thus making it look like no action at a field with a blinking base. Most new people aren't going to understand what a flashing base means when they see no enemy dots on the map.

The way it is now, with proximity dar. A player can see you on the map 45 miles away from a field on a plane you are attacking and a whole squad can roll just to come help gang. This method is rife for helping players be-line right to a single enemy and gang them.

Under no circumstances should an enemy plane show up on radar outside of the radar limits even if your friendly is being chased. This is where dar bars come in to play to atleast represent something in that sector.

Right now it's just too easy to gang and track targets and everyone flying easy mode planes now just makes it even more difficult to escape the trackers coming after you. Its also tough sneak up fighters since they can see you on dar outside of radar range.I also feel that this dar is very tough against bombers because once you know a bomber is 15 miles from the field, you can grab a 190D and easily get to them.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 10:47:40 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2024, 10:38:58 AM »
I’m not opposed to strengthening the radar towers. I think they’re too easy to take out. Honestly, other than beefing up the tower, I don’t think the radar needed any tweaks at all. As I understand it, proximity dar was implemented to make fights easier to locate but I think the unintended consequences have had a much worse effect on the game overall. I don’t think it was a problem that needed to be fixed and the “fix” has seriously degraded play.

Degradation…
No need to look for dots on the horizon because you know they’re present the second they’re in range. NOE C-47 isn’t going to get lucky because that enemy doesn’t even need to rock their wings to see an icon (not to mention every player on your team can see the plane in real time). Cockpit braces, armor plates, and razorback configurations suffer less of an of an effect on SA. Clouds are nearly pointless. Radar can cover 1/2 a sector with two friends if they’re split far enough apart. You can make decisions about how to approach an engagement before you even leave the runway. Vehicles have radar too. You can train guns within a few degrees even with obstructions in the way and know if it’s approaching before you even hear it. Ganging the enemy even easier because players know they can dive in without having to be remotely concerned that they’ll get bounced themselves. Players also know what type of aircraft (bomber or fighter) and which way it’s going which makes it even easier to set up attacks. On the flip side, players can see how many red dots are on a countryman and make the decision to help or not before they’re even in radio range.

I really don’t think the radar update has helped much in the way of encouraging combat and any gains it may have made are so detrimental to other aspects that it should be retracted.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 10:43:39 AM by LilMak »
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2024, 01:02:51 PM »
Please get rid of the plane icon radar that shows bombers/fighters and go back to dot dar for both plane types.

Here's my answer:

No.. it's a -1

:D

Not happening...

The Chinese had a warning net that Chennault created/used very effectively to identify bombers and fighters visually from the ground and rapidly relay that info.  The RAF and Luftwaffe had radar on top of a visual reporting system    That's essentially what this simulates.   If you are out of radar coverage then you can only be seen and reported visually.

Leave it alone.    Or dither it with a delay of some kind.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 01:07:01 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2024, 02:37:04 PM »

Here's my answer:

The Chinese had a warning net that Chennault created/used very effectively to identify bombers and fighters visually from the ground and rapidly relay that info.  The RAF and Luftwaffe had radar on top of a visual reporting system    That's essentially what this simulates.   If you are out of radar coverage then you can only be seen and reported visually.

Leave it alone.    Or dither it with a delay of some kind.
We’ve had that forever. It’s the dar bar.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 03:39:36 PM by LilMak »
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2024, 04:25:55 PM »
We’ve had that forever. It’s the dar bar.

That's not radar and it doesn't identify category.

So we have not.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2024, 06:39:05 PM »
The existing radar towers represent what the British had. The dar bar represents spotters.

Proximity dar we have now is AWACS. They didn’t have those in WWII and, if they did have it, it would’ve been mounted on Lancasters not Spitfires.
~Hub Zemke

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2024, 09:56:41 PM »
The existing radar towers represent what the British had. The dar bar represents spotters.

Proximity dar we have now is AWACS. They didn’t have those in WWII and, if they did have it, it would’ve been mounted on Lancasters not Spitfires.

Proximity dar represents on-scene reporting.   Radios, GCA, etc.  Contrails, for example, are not stealthy.

But by all means let's make it harder for players (especially new ones) to find action.   Good idea!!!!!   :aok

I like it the way it is.  Hitech is trying to generate some SA so people can actually see action.   Leave it alone and learn to cope.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 09:59:46 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2024, 07:04:04 AM »
Proximity dar represents on-scene reporting.   Radios, GCA, etc.  Contrails, for example, are not stealthy.

But by all means let's make it harder for players (especially new ones) to find action.   Good idea!!!!!   :aok

I like it the way it is.  Hitech is trying to generate some SA so people can actually see action.   Leave it alone and learn to cope.
New players adapted just fine when we had 400 people online, newbies on the regular, and no AWACS. There wasn’t any need to dumb down the game then. If HT truly wanted to attract new players he’d adjust the business model instead of making the game easier for lazy players.
~Hub Zemke

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2024, 08:39:32 AM »
As nothing actually changes I am guessing these wishlist threads are just some form of therapy for the AH addicted..
 :cheers:
Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2024, 09:22:57 AM »
As nothing actually changes I am guessing these wishlist threads are just some form of therapy for the AH addicted..
Eagler
You’re probably right. Starting to feel like AH has reached the stage AW did just before EA took over.
~Hub Zemke

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2024, 09:36:10 AM »

You know, I was thinking about the request to get rid of the bomber icons...

If it was gotten rid of, players like Violator couldn't use it to hunt buffs and artificially jack up their score.

I've changed my mind. 

:D
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2024, 10:09:59 AM »
Eagler

I once made a wish here, and it was granted  :old:

Now it feels like being my biggest achievement ever...  :uhoh
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2024, 11:27:17 AM »

I once made a wish here, and it was granted  :old:

Now it feels like being my biggest achievement ever...  :uhoh