Author Topic: Welp… I Did Not Like VR.  (Read 2136 times)

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Welp… I Did Not Like VR.
« on: January 10, 2024, 12:50:51 PM »
I’ve had my son’s RiftS sitting in a corner staring at me for some time so I pulled it out to see what all the fuss is. While it was cool to have the viewing capability and I can see how your gunnery could improve, the loss in video resolution was just too much for me to take. I don’t spend a lot of time dogfighting anyway.

I play on a 55” 4K TV with 3840x2160 resolution and AH is as crisp as can be with everything maxed out. The Rift is at 1920x1080 and it’s almost as if everything out of focus. I just didn’t like it. Maybe a newer headset would give me a better experience but for now I will stick with the big screen.

If you have any tips for a better graphics experience I’m listening maybe I’m missing some settings.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 12:52:28 PM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Welp… I Did Not Like VR.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 01:12:56 PM »
Looks like the Rift S's resolution is 1280x1440 per eye, so I can see how that is a huge step down from a 4K monitor.

Good news is if you have a powerful enough rig to run a 4K monitor with graphics settings maxxed out, you should be OK if you decide to get a newer, higher resolution VR headset.

Wondering too, if "everything" being out of focus was an indication of dirty lenses on the Rift, or maybe your eyes weren't situated properly in the headsets "sweet spot"?

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 01:17:08 PM »
Looks like the Rift S's resolution is 1280x1440 per eye, so I can see how that is a huge step down from a 4K monitor.

Good news is if you have a powerful enough rig to run a 4K monitor with graphics settings maxxed out, you should be OK if you decide to get a newer, higher resolution VR headset.

Wondering too, if "everything" being out of focus was an indication of dirty lenses on the Rift, or maybe your eyes weren't situated properly in the headsets "sweet spot"?

Oh that’s even lower than I thought. The lenses are clean, my glasses may not have been lol. It was mostly the resolution probably.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 01:18:34 PM »
The 55" TV thing would be incredible. Getting my wife to go along with the concept would be a miracle approaching the Red Sox comeback against the Yankees in '04.

I'll give the VR thing a go at some point but I still like watching ball on TV in the background, futzing around on the laptop, bouncing a tennis ball off the wall etc. while headed to a furball. We'll see. The TrackIR thing is intriguing as well. Small steps.

But man, a 55" TV for flying and another one within view would be the best man cave ever. Well that and it's all in an air conditioned garage with my cars and mountain bikes in full view next to the well stocked fridge and framed Farrah Fawcett poster from 1976.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 01:26:33 PM »
The 55" TV thing would be incredible. Getting my wife to go along with the concept would be a miracle approaching the Red Sox comeback against the Yankees in '04.

I'll give the VR thing a go at some point but I still like watching ball on TV in the background, futzing around on the laptop, bouncing a tennis ball off the wall etc. while headed to a furball. We'll see. The TrackIR thing is intriguing as well. Small steps.

But man, a 55" TV for flying and another one within view would be the best man cave ever. Well that and it's all in an air conditioned garage with my cars and mountain bikes in full view next to the well stocked fridge and framed Farrah Fawcett poster from 1976.

As a Yankee fan I will just let that go lol!

Those are other good points too I did not really like not being able to be do the other things easily. Most of what I need I have mapped in my hotas so I don’t need the keyboard much. I still didn’t like it lol. My set up is in a loft in my house so I can see and hear other TVs lol.

My son has a Quest 2 I will try that sometime maybe. For now I will stick to my old fart big screen.  :banana:

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 01:35:18 PM »
Yes vr is a very big hit in resolution

Zooming in helps me

I tried to play AH yesterday on my Sony 55 in TV but couldn't after playing ah in vr for years..the resolution had everything tiny

I sacrifice clarity for the 3d experience which has improved my aim greatly

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 01:45:23 PM »
Yes vr is a very big hit in resolution

Zooming in helps me

I tried to play AH yesterday on my Sony 55 in TV but couldn't after playing ah in vr for years..the resolution had everything tiny

I sacrifice clarity for the 3d experience which has improved my aim greatly

Eagler

Was for me at first too but you can usually fix that with the scaling in the display settings. When I was shooting at the drones I can definitely see how it would improve shooting. It felt much more fluid for sure. Make I just need a better headset.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2024, 01:59:40 PM »
Oh that’s even lower than I thought. The lenses are clean, my glasses may not have been lol. It was mostly the resolution probably.

There is your problem, wearing glasses in VR is not an optimal experience. If you can get a copy of your prescription you can order clip in lenses for your headset.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 02:03:56 PM »
I'd try the Quest 2 if you can - it's fairly better spec'd compared to the Rift S especially with resolution.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 02:11:25 PM »
There is your problem, wearing glasses in VR is not an optimal experience. If you can get a copy of your prescription you can order clip in lenses for your headset.

Yes glasses add to it...I wear my mr magoo glasses under my vive pro as script lenses did not work for me

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2024, 02:12:33 PM »

I tried without and it’s not much different. I think I’ve just been spoiled by my stupidly large TV. Our main living room tv is 65” and my wife wants to get a new one so I may upgrade lol.

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024, 02:45:12 PM »
for bombing or vehicle combat i'd stick to monitor. VR for dogfighting experience.

Online Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 06:05:56 PM »
for bombing or vehicle combat i'd stick to monitor. VR for dogfighting experience.

Agreed. Maybe with better headset and some time doing it I might like it better.

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2024, 06:52:18 PM »
I tried without and it’s not much different. I think I’ve just been spoiled by my stupidly large TV. Our main living room tv is 65” and my wife wants to get a new one so I may upgrade lol.

Hey, can I get your wife to talk to my wife? That'd be great, thanks!

and if you get her to bring up the importance of a top of the line audio system? That'd be swell as well.....
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2024, 01:47:19 PM »

Oh hell no, gv combat is so much fun in VR. Running around in a jeep killing wirbles is like teenage sex.