Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 36793 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2024, 04:15:09 PM »
When watching a game but then forget it is just graphics in a game...

Can't knock the graphics DCS has been able to obtain

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2024, 05:30:09 PM »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2024, 06:16:06 PM »
sitting in the mossie cockpit at night with the UV lights on gives me the chills.   How did they even do it for real?

can't wait to land an F4U on the essex class carrier at sunset.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2024, 09:04:58 AM »
sitting in the mossie cockpit at night with the UV lights on gives me the chills.   How did they even do it for real?

can't wait to land an F4U on the essex class carrier at sunset.   

THIS!

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2024, 09:40:15 AM »
THIS!

Was it SOP to have the fore deck loaded with planes when they were trying to land on a cv or is this just an oversight from Hollywood?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2024, 09:55:52 AM »
Was it SOP to have the fore deck loaded with planes when they were trying to land on a cv or is this just an oversight from Hollywood?

Eagler

I think it was.  I watched a couple documentaries on WWII carrier ops and they show the fore deck loaded.  That might be when recovering multiple aircraft, since movement to the elevators would be even more in the way.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2024, 09:25:41 AM »
Amazing how far computer sims have come. I enjoyed the low level missions in this one back in '93. I'll definitely be picking up the Tornado module.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzpd4lbfOo0

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2024, 03:01:14 PM »
Funny thing is that in the dreams I am not "playing", but actually in the aircraft.

Mine are totally weird... I'm both playing the game on my screen and being In the game, like real life, at the same time.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #175 on: January 28, 2024, 07:56:26 AM »
This video gives one an idea of where flight sims are now and you can compare the Spit9 in DCS vs. IL-2 and AH.  Like that it shows the effects wake turbulence can have on a gun solution.

TShark

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #176 on: January 28, 2024, 03:04:42 PM »
Simple binary question. Imagination required.

IF,  the graphics in DCS, IL-2 and AH, were equally the same. Which one would you play most?
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2024, 03:16:20 PM »
This is an attempt to move a discussion on the current state of AH vs. other aerial combat sims to a more appropriate forum. 

I still hope that HiTech will come out of semi-retirement and update AH, but it has been about 10 years since the last significant update.  This is not a slam on HT, the man has earned his retirement and I sincerely hope his quality of life continues to improve.  This discussion is also not intended to offend other AH players, but rather to share as consumers, what our experiences have been with our favorite hobby.

I played AH for 20 years and before that followed HiTech over from AirWarrior.  I have made many friends in AH and still keep in contact with my squadmates here. 

For me personally, I decided to try out DCS and IL-2 due to dwindling numbers, a lack of "fighter pilot aggressiveness" in the MA, and stale game play. 

Despite its age, AH still has several features I wish other sims would incorporate.  Namely a good PTO plane-set and multiplayer buffs.

Comparing DCS multiplayer (WWII only) vs. AH, I have found DCS has better flight modelling, a better damage model, better graphics, better weather/clouds, and more realistic voice comms.  The increase in fidelity has renewed my passion for aerial combat.  I have a new found appreciation for WWII pilots who not only had to fight the enemy, but also keep the weather and their own aircraft from killing them.

I have found the DCS community to be very helpful to newbies and there is a plethora of manuals and YouTube tutorials to help the learning curve.  One thing I did not expect from the community was the number of real life current and retired combat pilots that play the sim and share their training.  The PVP, PVE, and solo playablilty is also robust, so I have more freedom to play when and how I want.

What are your experiences with other aerial combat sims vs. AH?

AW had real WWII pilots playing. Earl was very helpful sharing his knowledge as s test pilot, who flew a lot of what AW had. There were quite a few actual private and military pilots. Some are still in AH.

There are basically 5 FM designs. Not all AC in DCS are on the same FM. Depending on the time era and the AC creator.

>IMO< I think many who play strictly DCS or IL, would have a hard time competing against many AH players. They are put through extremes daily. Many of the best combat sim pilots come from AW and AH. Hence, player skimming for talent.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2024, 04:53:55 PM »
If all I cared about was graphics I'd play War Thunder.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2024, 06:21:25 PM »
If all I cared about was graphics I'd play War Thunder.

Didn’t consider that, because they are steering to ground wars. In fact a new ad mentions tanks 1st, AC second. A lot of players unhappy with their new direction, which includes emptying pockets. Personally, I just know what I read, I don’t play anything else.

But that wasn’t the question. If graphics are all the same, which would you play? Its down to actual game play. Just curious, I have no comeback for answers.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks