Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31281 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1050 on: March 14, 2024, 06:27:10 PM »
Open the bomb bay doors Hal.

Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1051 on: March 14, 2024, 10:08:06 PM »
This was a 2016 interview with Jason Williams.  Former CEO Rise of Flight.  Hired to produce the IL2 Great Battles series.  Now off working on Combat Pilot.

I thought there were some interesting tid-bits to this conversation.  It was from back in 2016, so there is a lot of IL2 detail stuff that might not even be relevant now, but what I found interesting was the other discussions of what he had hoped to do with PTO in IL2 as well as other industry insights from a producer in the trenches.  I found his thoughts on PTO interesting as it may hint at his goals and dreams that might carry over to Combat Pilot.

It’s long.  Some points of interest:

@ 4:40-10:40  Talking about his plans to get to PTO after Kuban.  Lol.  That didn’t age well.  Was originally planning battle of Midway and then Battle of Okinawa.  Carrier heavy focus.  I can see how things must have went if his bosses changed their mind later.  His whole vibe felts like, “I got to get this last Russian theater(Kuban) done so I can go do the cool stuff (PTO).  LoL.  I get it.  I could never get into eastern front.
(There is a bunch of Teamspeak notification crap at first but it dies down.)

@01:23:28 Thoughts on marketing exposure, ad buys.

@01:51:30 Thoughts on WWIIOnline style game

@02:05:17 Brief mention that at ROF they had surprisingly found some F2P to be beneficial.

@2:04:52 Battle of France

@2:08:52 Carriers

@2:14:39 Brief PTO planning thoughts

@2:15:28 Tanks

Over all, I thought he came off as assertive but honest and frank.  I’d prefer honest directness over a bunch of insincere, banal, corporate-speak.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1052 on: March 15, 2024, 12:43:12 PM »
Rise of flight seems to have taken a dive into obscurity, it really isn't brought up in flight sim conversation and discussed as often as it really should.  :old:

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1053 on: March 15, 2024, 01:24:05 PM »
Rise of flight seems to have taken a dive into obscurity, it really isn't brought up in flight sim conversation and discussed as often as it really should.  :old:

Yeah.  WWI is just the fringe of the fringe of the fringe.

It's hard to get people interested in WWII Early War planes much less WWI.

Too bad.  Beautiful planes and knife fights in a phone booth up close action.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1054 on: March 15, 2024, 01:27:28 PM »
My grandson and I worked together to beat Yagluth. No cheating before that. After that I used the dev commands to build. Had already gotten what I wanted from the game before that. Building enormous structures without garnering resources was fun for while and extended value for me. It's a great fun game.

To be clear, a grandson. I have 10.

4.   Bound to be more.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1055 on: March 15, 2024, 01:34:09 PM »
Yeah.  WWI is just the fringe of the fringe of the fringe.

It's hard to get people interested in WWII Early War planes much less WWI.

Too bad.  Beautiful planes and knife fights in a phone booth up close action.

I find WWI combat-sim flying rather chaotic for my slow moving brain.  It's fun and all but sheesh... throwing peas at the bad guys, wings all blocking your vision, wings tearing off when if you fly as hard as you want to. 

That said, those guys back then set the bar in the Biggest Balls category and it's still way up there.  Early 8th AF bomber crews come close.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1056 on: March 15, 2024, 03:03:04 PM »
That said, those guys back then set the bar in the Biggest Balls category and it's still way up there.

For sure.

I was watching a BBS series (something like Piece of Cake but WWI), in the early days they didn't understand spins or how to get out of them.  It was a mysterious phenomena that sometimes just plucked a plane out of the sky and crashed it.  Like the sound barrier, it was a gremlin. 

Some got out by accident.  Most died.  They didn't know exactly how to avoid it or escape. 

Jeez.  Imagine having to go into combat like that.  As if people shooting at you wasn't enough.  All they had were guesses, superstition and rumors. "That one weird trick..."
But it wasn't something you wanted to try by choice.  Testing a theory had a good chance at ending up in a twisted ball on the ground if you were wrong.

It was a big deal when someone actually by accident got out of one and figured out a technique to do so. 

« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 03:05:34 PM by CptTrips »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1057 on: March 15, 2024, 03:57:35 PM »
And parachute, what's that?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1058 on: March 15, 2024, 04:18:55 PM »
And parachute, what's that?

Worse.  They knew about parachutes.  Balloonists had used them since the mid-1800's. 

High command forbid aviators from carrying them for half the war afraid it would encourage pilots to bail rather than fight when odds got tough.

Pilots who's planes caught fire from the slightest hit in the engine often chose to jump without them, or end it with their pistol rather than burn to death.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1059 on: March 15, 2024, 04:55:06 PM »
IL2 and steam are both currently having a sale! IL2 1945 is $2.49 and Cliffs of Dover is $4.99 (what if I understand right they are working on VR support for)

I picked up the last of the GB series I was missing and now have them all.

I must say I'm really liking the G6(late) version. You can add the 30mm to it and I've found that if I trim it right I can hang with the spits and easily out turn the LAs. I did also find that the spin recover isn't so good when trimmed to turn with the spits and you almost have to take the trim off to recover. I learned this after leaving a couple smoking holes in the ground. Funny how the smoking hole stays around for a bit to remind you when you fly back into the area!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 05:20:25 PM by hazmatt »

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1060 on: March 15, 2024, 07:46:43 PM »
Pilots who's planes caught fire from the slightest hit in the engine often chose to jump without them, or end it with their pistol rather than burn to death.

Sheesh... pretty sure I'd opt for a chance with a healthy bounce or some nice thick mud.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1061 on: March 15, 2024, 09:12:10 PM »
Sheesh... pretty sure I'd opt for a chance with a healthy bounce or some nice thick mud.

Look up the story of MICK MANNOCK ace.

Online RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #1062 on: March 17, 2024, 07:43:11 AM »
So I bought three of the warbirds modules while they are on sale.

A lot harder than other experiences with flight sim warbirds. Way more management.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Online RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #1063 on: March 17, 2024, 08:03:46 AM »
It's crazy how far these video games have come.

https://youtu.be/Zaml5h49iQg?si=xoboAOZfUZlKzp5a
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1064 on: March 17, 2024, 09:58:33 PM »