Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31130 times)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1080 on: March 21, 2024, 04:24:55 PM »
Dunning-Kruger Effect on steroids. What you call facts is guess work with facts

Passive aggressive mental manipulation. One track train.

A broken record on a turn table that won’t shut off.

Where you at now? 1500 different ways to say the same thing over and over and over. I bet you’re painful to be around.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 04:30:13 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1081 on: March 21, 2024, 05:03:31 PM »

I keep buying lottery tickets. You never know.  :rofl

Iron, show that stick to Bullet.  I bet he'll have one by end of week.

:rofl
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1082 on: March 21, 2024, 05:05:59 PM »
Iron, show that stick to Bullet.  I bet he'll have one by end of week.

:rofl

I did. He may.

At almost 900 bucks I may build one for myself. Unless I can convince my wife to go back to work. ;)

I buy a lottery ticket myself now and then. Cheap dreams but they don't last.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 05:08:05 PM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1083 on: March 21, 2024, 06:19:09 PM »

I keep buying lottery tickets. You never know.  :rofl

I miss my old MS Sidewinder FF stick more than any flight control equipment I've ever had.  Someone will start producing something at a reasonable price eventually... gotta happen.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1084 on: March 21, 2024, 06:45:40 PM »
I did. He may.

At almost 900 bucks I may build one for myself. Unless I can convince my wife to go back to work. ;)

I buy a lottery ticket myself now and then. Cheap dreams but they don't last.

Thinking about it as well.  Just need more info as far as the Virpil pass through.  I actually prefer to build it myself so I can maintain it better.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1085 on: March 21, 2024, 06:50:58 PM »
I miss my old MS Sidewinder FF stick more than any flight control equipment I've ever had.  Someone will start producing something at a reasonable price eventually... gotta happen.

I never spoke to a former user that wasn't fanatical about them.  WTF Microsoft.

I guess they fell victim to that deadzone time period when everyone thought flightsims were dying off.

Never had one myself.

That, VR, Seatkicker, full motion spinning chair thingie...I wish I were rich. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1086 on: March 21, 2024, 09:39:24 PM »
If you were rich what would you have left to wish for?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1087 on: March 21, 2024, 10:01:52 PM »
Thinking about it as well.  Just need more info as far as the Virpil pass through.  I actually prefer to build it myself so I can maintain it better.

The body and workings of the force feedback is independent of the Virpil grip functions. Two separate controllers. The force feedback unit provides the stick physical axes, electronic axes, and motion feedback while the Virpil grip provides all the buttons and axes apart from the axes built into the Virpil base. Just a matter of routing the grip through an extension cable to the base sitting beside or somewhere near the force feedback base. Just use the force feedback base for the x and y game axes instead of the virpil axes. 

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1088 on: March 21, 2024, 10:56:52 PM »

An endless supply of wishes
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1089 on: March 22, 2024, 06:40:46 AM »

The same thing they thought riches would bring...peace and eternal happiness

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1090 on: March 22, 2024, 01:14:28 PM »
Dunning-Kruger Effect on steroids. What you call facts is guess work with facts

Passive aggressive mental manipulation. One track train.

A broken record on a turn table that won’t shut off.

Where you at now? 1500 different ways to say the same thing over and over and over. I bet you’re painful to be around.

Some things never change  :D

Don't push me!, I'm being retarded as fast as I can.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1091 on: March 22, 2024, 01:51:44 PM »
I agree with Hazmatt and Tumor that rudder input is more important outside of AH.

Now that you mention it, I remember coming back to Warbirds after a few months of AH and was shocked how "on the rails" Warbirds felt.  I think the same difference exists between DCS and AH.  It has been a couple years since I have flown AH.  I will have to get my Crystal setup for AH and give it a go offline to see how it compares now.

Installed AH after flying DCS for over two years to compare. 

For those interested, the Pimax Crystal runs AH very well using SteamVR.  I could have run OpenComposite to eliminate SteamVR and get better performance, but it was not necessary.  Coming from a G2 in AH to the Crystal is a great step up.  Nice having edge to edge clarity instead of a sweet spot.

When I took my first flights in AH (only in the P-51D, P-47, 109K, 190a8, I-16, Spit9, and Mossie) it felt like I was stuck in mud with regards to control response.  Then I remembered about the deadzone and damper settings.  Adjusting those settings all the way down on all axis made a noticeable difference, though it still feels a little sluggish in all the birds, especially roll rate.  Flying DCS has trained me in a lighter touch on my controllers due to the responsiveness of the flight model.

The "bones" of the different flight models are all there in AH (left wing dropout in the P-51, 190a8 dropping out on either wing, etc.).  What I found surprising was the amount of warning AH gives you compared to DCS.  The stall horn and buffet really hit you over the head before the aircraft departs controlled flight.  There is little chance of an accelerated stall surprising you.   

The nose bounce issues came rushing back to me.  Kinda like sitting on a big rubber ball while taking aim.  I remember having to stick scale to tone down the bounce in AH.  All in all the gun platform is more stable in DCS than AH.

Tracers are also more of an aiming distraction in AH compared to DCS.  That is why I always played AH with tracers off.

The AH flight models blow Warbirds and WarThunder out of the water as far as responsive feel.  The DCS flight models are more responsive than AH, but the difference is not as great, with the exception of ground handling, taxi, and takeoff.

On a side note, another surprise for me was how the size of the cockpits in AH are very close to each other in VR.  When you get into a DCS Spit9 in VR you feel like you have to suck in your gut to fit and a 190a8 feels palatial.     

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1092 on: March 22, 2024, 04:35:56 PM »

I stand corrected.  DCS does model stick forces.  The effect is just less on the pony and that is what I have been flying most.  Apparently that was historical and the pony could be more prone to airframe damage if over corrected at  speed.

It is supposed to be really noticeable on the K4 which I haven't flown much.
As with most things in software, tweaking for the sweet spot is an on going effort. 

I'll have to do some testing at some point. 

Good to know.  I was getting monkey pounded by a K4 at 28k me in a pony.  I next time I need to lure him into faster dive turns.  I think the pony turns better at speed and the K4 gets stiff. 

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #1093 on: March 22, 2024, 06:16:02 PM »
I flew the spit last night for the first time. Touchy stick, lots of power
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1094 on: March 22, 2024, 06:33:01 PM »
Falcon, going back to the mid 80's, was long the standard by which I measured flight sims. Many attempts have been made to rejuvenate Falcon 4 but compared to DCS only the dynamic campaign shines, imo. Microprose re-aquired the copyright but it will take a Microsoft team level to make it again competitive. We shall see.