Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31256 times)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1095 on: March 22, 2024, 11:51:24 PM »
I got il2 1946 and the cliffs of dover toburk combo on the last sale.

I'm working on getting 1946 downloaded and was told I need to get the bat mod.

Any advice on setting up either one for a noobie?

I was looking for some videos to see what they looked like and found this one from a few years back. The graphics don't look as dated as I thought and from what I've read the game will have VR support in the near future.\
https://youtu.be/wXpV6SqaMjU
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 12:03:48 AM by hazmatt »

Online Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1096 on: March 23, 2024, 02:34:12 AM »

I was looking for some videos to see what they looked like and found this one from a few years back. The graphics don't look as dated as I thought and from what I've read the game will have VR support in the near future.\

Nictmere (another old AH'r) on Youboob goes through setting up 1946 w/Bat (among others).
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #1097 on: March 23, 2024, 09:32:28 AM »
Nictmere (another old AH'r) on Youboob goes through setting up 1946 w/Bat (among others).

Yes he has good videos for 1946. I asked him to come back for MOTA but he said he can’t see well enough anymore for multiplayer play lol. Just does single player IL2 stuff but he has really good videos. Even some old AH ones.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1098 on: March 23, 2024, 09:33:38 AM »

Enigma's discord has an IL2 channel with some active 1946 guys.  They seem nice and laid back and helpful.  https://discord.gg/enigma89

Look for a guy named Sercrets or Pinguim.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1099 on: March 23, 2024, 02:17:03 PM »
I got 1946 installed and running without the mods. I must say it's probably the best $2.95 I've spent. I'm having a blast and haven't even installed the mods yet. Now I just gotta figure out how to play online so I can club some seals. Too bad I'll probably be the seal getting clubbed!
I read there's some mod you can use for VR that I have to look into.

Downloading CLOD now. I'm really surprised how nice the graphics look for it's age. Clickable cockpits gonna be a new thing for me. It's interesting that they got rid of them in the BoX series.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1100 on: March 23, 2024, 02:36:12 PM »
I got 1946 installed and running without the mods. I must say it's probably the best $2.95 I've spent. I'm having a blast and haven't even installed the mods yet. Now I just gotta figure out how to play online so I can club some seals. Too bad I'll probably be the seal getting clubbed!
I read there's some mod you can use for VR that I have to look into.

Downloading CLOD now. I'm really surprised how nice the graphics look for it's age. Clickable cockpits gonna be a new thing for me. It's interesting that they got rid of them in the BoX series.

CLOD is promising VR is around the corner.  But it was saying that 4 years ago.

1946 doesn't support VR natively.  People have suggested trying VorpX hack it, but I heard the results are not optimal.

AH VR support is still the best IMHO.

In DCS\IL2 GB you can approach it I think with VR + NeckSafer app.

I use TraclIR in DCS.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 02:37:45 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1101 on: March 23, 2024, 02:39:26 PM »

I have a better machine now than when I first tried CLOD.  It was def ahead of it's time, but just couldn't fully execute before the devs bailed.

The channel water color and texture looks so real though. 

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1102 on: March 23, 2024, 02:42:06 PM »

1946 doesn't support VR natively.  People have suggested trying VorpX hack it, but I heard the results are not optimal.

Ya, that VorpX thing is it. I probably won't mess as it looks like a time sink and if the results aren't optimal you probably saved me a ton of time and disappointment. Thanks.

I think the CLOD VR is close as I've talked to somebody who was beta testing it.

Are there any 1946 servers online? I see videos of people flying 1946 online but when I click on the servers I don't see any listed. Maybe it's because I don't have the BAT mod installed yet?

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1103 on: March 23, 2024, 02:47:12 PM »

AH VR support is still the best IMHO.

In DCS\IL2 GB you can approach it I think with VR + NeckSafer app.

I use TraclIR in DCS.

I agree that AH3 has the best VR implementation.

Yes I use Necksafer in IL2 but I still haven't been able to get that openVR thing working to get rid of SteamVR so it's still not optimal for me.
Another annoyance is that the oculus software keeps turning on optimization stuff that I have to turn off EVERY time I launch IL2 or it's blurry.

I recently got a better monitor so I need to look into some trackIR kinda thing. I was thinking maybe I should try one of the free ones to see if I like it but then again, I might not like it because it's the free version and not as good.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1104 on: March 23, 2024, 02:50:36 PM »
I have a better machine now than when I first tried CLOD.  It was def ahead of it's time, but just couldn't fully execute before the devs bailed.

The channel water color and texture looks so real though.

It seems that the guys working on the IL2 series are good at banging something functional together that works but not so good at polishing or refining it.
Maybe it's a Russian thing?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1105 on: March 23, 2024, 02:55:21 PM »
I've been using TrackIR for many years. If you decide to go that route buy their pro clip. I used the included reflector for a couple of years. It's okay. Then I made my own 3d printed lighted clips. They were much better but because they are flat the ir leds tended to overlap. The pro clip is curved and doesn't have that problem.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1106 on: March 23, 2024, 03:08:17 PM »
BTW, some of the IR LEDs I got from China were reversed polarity. If they don't light try switching.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1107 on: March 23, 2024, 03:51:54 PM »
Ya, that VorpX thing is it. I probably won't mess as it looks like a time sink and if the results aren't optimal you probably saved me a ton of time and disappointment. Thanks.

I think the CLOD VR is close as I've talked to somebody who was beta testing it.

Are there any 1946 servers online? I see videos of people flying 1946 online but when I click on the servers I don't see any listed. Maybe it's because I don't have the BAT mod installed yet?

From what I understood from Sercrets, MP is pretty thin.  Too many flavors out there and a lot run different packs and the packs require different ver. 

Appearently for MP, people have multiple copies of the game installed with different ve and packs adn they use which based on where they wanted to play.

BAT is mainly for SP I believe.

It seems Ultrapack is used on most of the active servers.

So you'd want that on a different install copy.  lol
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 03:57:10 PM by CptTrips »

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1108 on: March 23, 2024, 04:24:01 PM »
Thanks. Haven't heard of ultra pack. Will have to check that out.

I have CLOD installed. Went sightseeing flying a spitfire over London. Wow the level of detail there was surprising. I flew by Big Ben. I was able to find servers with just the base install. Looks like a couple of them had decent numbers too.

Online Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1109 on: March 23, 2024, 09:03:31 PM »
I've been using TrackIR for many years. If you decide to go that route buy their pro clip. I used the included reflector for a couple of years. It's okay. Then I made my own 3d printed lighted clips. They were much better but because they are flat the ir leds tended to overlap. The pro clip is curved and doesn't have that problem.

I used one of these for a couple years.  The batteries finally ran out of steam... so I've been wired with the pro-clip again for awhile.  I'm told they had improved on the batteries.  Not sure.  I keep my headset plugged in anyway because, well batteries suck so I figured I'd just as well rather than keep spending money.  I tape it all together and don't even notice now.
https://delanclip.com/
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann