Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 31234 times)

Online RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1111 on: March 24, 2024, 12:25:59 PM »
I used one of these for a couple years.  The batteries finally ran out of steam... so I've been wired with the pro-clip again for awhile.  I'm told they had improved on the batteries.  Not sure.  I keep my headset plugged in anyway because, well batteries suck so I figured I'd just as well rather than keep spending money.  I tape it all together and don't even notice now.
https://delanclip.com/

I use a wired headset so don't mind the extra wire from the clip, I just tie strap them together. That Delan clip is flat like the ones I made. I stuck mine to the side of my headset with double sided tape. Because they were oriented vertically when I looked up or down to the extreme the LEDs would overlap to the camera and it would stop tracking. I suppose you could arrange a flat 3 LED clip so that it is not fully vertical but tilted a bit so they would not overlap.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1112 on: March 24, 2024, 02:30:25 PM »
How does the face tracking work? do you need LEDs for all of them? I'd like to setup something basic so I can get an idea how it works before I buy stuff. Would I be better off buying some LEDs? I'm guessing they're not expensive.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 02:49:42 PM by AKIron »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1114 on: March 24, 2024, 03:09:51 PM »

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1115 on: March 24, 2024, 07:50:57 PM »
How does the face tracking work? do you need LEDs for all of them? I'd like to setup something basic so I can get an idea how it works before I buy stuff. Would I be better off buying some LEDs? I'm guessing they're not expensive.

Ya know... Tobii's another option worth looking at.  Took me awhile to get it working to my satisfaction, but I love it.  Unfortunately, when DCS gets noisy the wife-ack is so strong you can walk on it.   And, now I'm not 100% certain on this but I think it throws one of those blackscreen USB Overcharge(overvoltage?)/shutdown errors.... but on only on startup.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 07:52:58 PM by Tumor »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1116 on: March 25, 2024, 10:20:27 AM »
There are some cheaper head tracking methods than TrackIR for sure. You can buy a PS3 camera pretty cheap on ebay ($15) but you'll have to remove the IR filter yourself. Use that with a homemade IR LED clip and Opentrack. The TrackIR sensor has a higher res and a faster scan I believe though. 

I've read that it's likely unnecessary to remove the PS3 lens filter. Just put a piece of floppy disk or exposed film over the lens. Or buy a filter for $5.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 12:35:40 PM by AKIron »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1117 on: March 25, 2024, 01:06:25 PM »
exposed film

LoL.

Yeah.  Just run by K-Mart and pick up a cheap roll of tech-pan while listening to "Children of the Sun" on your 8-track.

Millennials are looking at you with blank stare.  :D

« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 01:09:07 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1118 on: March 25, 2024, 01:30:16 PM »
I've had to deal with severe wobble before... but never imagined they modeled it
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 01:35:56 PM by Tumor »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1119 on: March 25, 2024, 02:36:42 PM »
LoL.

Yeah.  Just run by K-Mart and pick up a cheap roll of tech-pan while listening to "Children of the Sun" on your 8-track.

Millennials are looking at you with blank stare.  :D

I have some old negatives, they might work. Sadly, I left all my old floppies in Idaho when I moved to Texas last year. I just bought a ps3 camera on ebay for 15 bucks to play around with.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #1120 on: March 26, 2024, 05:10:35 AM »

I've had to deal with severe wobble before... but never imagined they modeled it

Wow! That's impressive! I have often that kind of airscrew after landing 109, here and IL-2.     :joystick:
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1121 on: March 26, 2024, 08:40:38 AM »
Wow! That's impressive! I have often that kind of airscrew after landing 109, here and IL-2.     :joystick:

Crew chief gonna need a bigger hammer.  :airplane:
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1122 on: March 26, 2024, 05:41:45 PM »

Landing wasn't what did it... well, I did land, but after I bonked a truck I'd recently put a strafing on.   Only maybe 10mi back to strip, but got me to wondering if the thing would actually fly with that kind of damage (FM kinda thing)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 05:44:40 PM by Tumor »

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #1123 on: March 27, 2024, 03:41:14 AM »
Landing wasn't what did it... well, I did land, but after I bonked a truck I'd recently put a strafing on.   Only maybe 10mi back to strip, but got me to wondering if the thing would actually fly with that kind of damage (FM kinda thing)

My strafing especially in IL-2 ends often similar way or I find myself sitting upside down in bushes surrounded by virtual wreck. Response to controls is so different compared with AH, no rails at all. And AH was hard in the beginning after WarBirds.
The Mad   CatMan!

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1124 on: March 27, 2024, 02:30:00 PM »
No rails for sure! The interesting thing I find about IL2 is that my gunnery passes look much more like the gun cam footage I've seen from WW2. I really find myself using the rudder much more during gunnery passes in IL2.