Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 37606 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1125 on: March 27, 2024, 03:30:56 PM »
No rails for sure! The interesting thing I find about IL2 is that my gunnery passes look much more like the gun cam footage I've seen from WW2. I really find myself using the rudder much more during gunnery passes in IL2.

Because IL has crosswinds from floor to ceiling. AH has wind but it’s not exactly kinetic if that makes sense.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1126 on: March 27, 2024, 10:25:20 PM »
No rails for sure! The interesting thing I find about IL2 is that my gunnery passes look much more like the gun cam footage I've seen from WW2. I really find myself using the rudder much more during gunnery passes in IL2.

My only real gripe with IL2 is that tendency of your gunsight to pull-off-target as you close in... it's subtle, but I ~always~ have to fight that and I really think it's something they programmed in.  I could be wrong, but... it's really weird how your rudders (among other controls) seem to be not quite right under those specific circumstances.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1127 on: March 27, 2024, 11:04:53 PM »
My only real gripe with IL2 is that tendency of your gunsight to pull-off-target as you close in... it's subtle, but I ~always~ have to fight that and I really think it's something they programmed in.  I could be wrong, but... it's really weird how your rudders (among other controls) seem to be not quite right under those specific circumstances.

Buck fever?   ;)
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1128 on: March 28, 2024, 07:58:32 AM »
I can't recall, will IL-2 show the control inputs on the screen like DCS? Could be useful in learning to deal with that sort of thing.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1129 on: March 28, 2024, 08:47:31 AM »
Installed AH after flying DCS for over two years to compare. 

For those interested, the Pimax Crystal runs AH very well using SteamVR.  I could have run OpenComposite to eliminate SteamVR and get better performance, but it was not necessary.  Coming from a G2 in AH to the Crystal is a great step up.  Nice having edge to edge clarity instead of a sweet spot.

When I took my first flights in AH (only in the P-51D, P-47, 109K, 190a8, I-16, Spit9, and Mossie) it felt like I was stuck in mud with regards to control response.  Then I remembered about the deadzone and damper settings.  Adjusting those settings all the way down on all axis made a noticeable difference, though it still feels a little sluggish in all the birds, especially roll rate.  Flying DCS has trained me in a lighter touch on my controllers due to the responsiveness of the flight model.

The "bones" of the different flight models are all there in AH (left wing dropout in the P-51, 190a8 dropping out on either wing, etc.).  What I found surprising was the amount of warning AH gives you compared to DCS.  The stall horn and buffet really hit you over the head before the aircraft departs controlled flight.  There is little chance of an accelerated stall surprising you.   

The nose bounce issues came rushing back to me.  Kinda like sitting on a big rubber ball while taking aim.  I remember having to stick scale to tone down the bounce in AH.  All in all the gun platform is more stable in DCS than AH.

Tracers are also more of an aiming distraction in AH compared to DCS.  That is why I always played AH with tracers off.

The AH flight models blow Warbirds and WarThunder out of the water as far as responsive feel.  The DCS flight models are more responsive than AH, but the difference is not as great, with the exception of ground handling, taxi, and takeoff.

On a side note, another surprise for me was how the size of the cockpits in AH are very close to each other in VR.  When you get into a DCS Spit9 in VR you feel like you have to suck in your gut to fit and a 190a8 feels palatial.   

Howdy Tshark

Does the pimax use fresnel lenses?

I swapped those out in my vive pro for the clearer Sony gear lens mod

Is there a mod for the pimax to do that do you know?

Does it have the frontal space for glasses?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1130 on: March 28, 2024, 09:26:27 AM »
Tried my brothers Pimax Crystal with the eye tracking foveated rendering on. Tried to see if I could tell the res was less where I wasn't looking. I could not tell. Don't confuse this with the sweet spot in other headsets that are sharp only where your head tracking in pointed. They are not the same at all.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #1131 on: March 28, 2024, 11:58:27 AM »
I can't recall, will IL-2 show the control inputs on the screen like DCS? Could be useful in learning to deal with that sort of thing.

Nope. Or at least I haven't found that function yet. Also HUD differs between servers. Some have lots of info while some others none.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1132 on: March 31, 2024, 02:47:24 PM »
I moved DCS from my SSD to my hardrive as I was running out of room on my SSD and now it's not launching for some reason. Is there something I need to do? IL2 BoX worked fine when I did the same.

I finally got to spend some time to mess around with the IL2 stuff I bought during the last steam sale.

So, l got IL2 1946 running without mods (plain vanilla at the moment) I must say it looks a lot like AH3 minus the VR (which to me is a big deal)
I do still feel like it was worth ever cent of the $2.95 I spent on it. lolz

I also picked up IL2 CLOD with the expansion pack on it. I was very surprised that the graphics look almost as good and IL2 BoX in my opinion.
I can't wait until they release the new expansion and VR support. I know somebody who is doing beta testing for the VR so I hope it's close to being released.

I was able to get some help on the online servers to answer some questions about getting started. As stated by many before the interface is not the most intuitive. There is also an option to set up a local server which I plan to do to play with my kids.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1133 on: March 31, 2024, 03:43:47 PM »
I've moved it around before with no problems. You aren't trying to launch if from the same shortcut as before the move right?

I really like Skatezillas launcher which will also require reconfig after the move.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1134 on: March 31, 2024, 03:45:39 PM »
Sorry if that is too obvious. I work in IT and have seen things. ;)

My executable is here. Yours will be simlar.

C:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 04:03:44 PM by AKIron »

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1135 on: March 31, 2024, 04:46:13 PM »
Ya. I deleted the old shortcut and made a new shortcut to the new location. It launches fine but freezes.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1137 on: March 31, 2024, 08:32:33 PM »
Ya. I deleted the old shortcut and made a new shortcut to the new location. It launches fine but freezes.

Have you tried a repair? Do a clean then a slow repair. Easiest to do from Skatezilla.

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/skatezillas-dcs-updater-utility-gui/6643

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1138 on: April 01, 2024, 07:29:39 AM »
If a clean and a repair don't help then try single threaded mode.

Single threaded
\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\dcs.exe

Mutli threaded
\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\dcs.exe

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1139 on: April 02, 2024, 08:10:13 AM »
Howdy Tshark

Does the pimax use fresnel lenses?

I swapped those out in my vive pro for the clearer Sony gear lens mod

Is there a mod for the pimax to do that do you know?

Does it have the frontal space for glasses?

Eagler

Hey Eagler,

The Pimax Crystal uses glass aspheric lenses.  This gives you edge to edge clarity, no god rays, and no screen door effect.  Also blacks are blacker, so instruments are easier to read and nights are truly black.

The Crystal comes with two face pads that have cutouts for eyeglass side pieces.  For my face I found that the face pads allowed for light leakage.  I had a 24mm PU leather face pad from VR Cover that I tried on my G2.  It fit perfectly on the Crystal.  It allows me to wear glasses, but I use prescription lens for the Crystal instead.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills