Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 30419 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1455 on: May 06, 2024, 09:28:29 AM »
Not my video but maybe this will brighten your day a tiny bit.

Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1456 on: May 06, 2024, 09:33:02 AM »
Not my video but maybe this will brighten your day a tiny bit.

Noice.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1457 on: May 06, 2024, 09:47:24 AM »
I was browsing around on the DCS site earlier.  I knew you had to buy aircraft, but JEEZ.  $75 for a plane? Do they run deals periodically, or how does that work?  (not complaining, just expressing my surprise)
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1458 on: May 06, 2024, 09:47:51 AM »
So, was Higgins really Robin Masters?  :D

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1459 on: May 06, 2024, 09:48:29 AM »
I was browsing around on the DCS site earlier.  I knew you had to buy aircraft, but JEEZ.  $75 for a plane? Do they run deals periodically, or how does that work?  (not complaining, just expressing my surprise)

5-6 sales a year, as much as 50% off most modules.

Many good free mods created by players. That OH-6A is free. The A-4 Skyhawk is very good mod and free also. A better intro to choppers would be the free UH-60 if you don't want to spring for a Huey. That OH-6A is not a noob chopper.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 09:56:51 AM by AKIron »

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1460 on: May 06, 2024, 10:06:01 AM »
5-6 sales a year, as much as 50% off most modules.

Many good free mods created by players. That OH-6A is free. The A-4 Skyhawk is very good mod and free also. A better intro to choppers would be the free UH-60 if you don't want to spring for a Huey. That OH-6A is not a noob chopper.

Oh, cool! I'd probably be interested in more modern aircraft, as I've always leaned towards WW2 planes.  I'm anxious to try it out again this summer when I have more time and have TIR setup!
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1461 on: May 06, 2024, 10:19:43 AM »

Yeah.  Don't be dumb like me. ;) 

Sales are pretty frequent and with free mods and trial periods there is no reason to not wait a month or two for the next sale.

Get the free client DCS World, free mod Blackhawk, free mod A-4, maybe this free OH-6 mod and just get started with those while waiting for the next sale.  Maybe trial what you are seriously considering buying first while you are waiting.

They seem ridiculous in price until you look at the detail and depth of some of the models.  It's a different approach than a survey-sim.  I think of it like the old days when you'd buy Falcon 3.0.  A study-sim. You were pretty much buying a single highly detailed airframe with a sim built around it.  The difference is in DCS, each of these study-sims can be hooked together in a common\shared simulation platform (i.e. DCS World). 

Not necessarily the best approach for everyone.  It also requires more effort and focus per airframe to learn than a more casually modeled survey-sim of several airframes.  Depth vs breadth.  Pros and cons either way, but different approaches.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1462 on: May 06, 2024, 10:27:43 AM »
The list of free player made mods is extensive. Some are very good, some not. Some are stand alone, some require a specific licensed aircraft. If you watch the video I posted on how to install the OH-6A mod using OVGME you'll notice I have a long list of free mods (all in that list are free). If you try the F-104 be sure to use the shiny skin. Much kooler.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 10:29:15 AM by AKIron »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1463 on: May 06, 2024, 10:30:13 AM »
Oh, cool! I'd probably be interested in more modern aircraft, as I've always leaned towards WW2 planes.  I'm anxious to try it out again this summer when I have more time and have TIR setup!

I at least recommend people try the choppers.  That is not something you can get in AH.  A totally different flying experience than AH WWII planes and a whole new world of flight dynamics. ;)

Think of it as complementing AH, not replacing it. 

If you were going to buy just one, I'd suggest the Huey.  Most fun for the buck helo flying so far, IMHO.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 10:47:10 AM by CptTrips »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1464 on: May 06, 2024, 10:52:26 AM »
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1465 on: May 06, 2024, 04:25:37 PM »
10 years ago or so DCS was in a slump. Module prices dropped a lot. Seems I bought 4 licenses of the Huey at $10 each. Multiples of other mods too. Intended for my grandsons. They made a dramatic come back not long after. Just a bit of trivia.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #1466 on: May 06, 2024, 06:38:48 PM »

Go check out the prices for a game called " X plane " i think it is.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1467 on: May 06, 2024, 10:05:39 PM »
Go check out the prices for a game called " X plane " i think it is.

For the most part they looked cheaper, but also have to pay $80 for the base game. Interesting. I had never even heard of that sim.
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1468 on: May 07, 2024, 04:27:34 AM »
For the most part they looked cheaper, but also have to pay $80 for the base game. Interesting. I had never even heard of that sim.

X-Plane is generally regarded as the best simulator of light aircraft.  I used to use it to practice instrument procedures.  If you subscribe to one of the services run by ex-FAA controllers, such as pilotedge.net, you can get real-time practice in ATC communications.  Highly regarded.  I've never heard of it being used for combat against other real people, though.

- oldman

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1469 on: May 07, 2024, 07:27:55 AM »

If you are just curious about DCS and want to see if it is worth your time then don't spend any money.  Download the free base program and then the free A-4E mod (aircraft the instructors used in original "Top Gun" movie).  You will be able to explore pretty much everything DCS has to offer (air to air combat, air to ground combat, air refueling, carrier ops, land based airports, dynamic weather, and multiplayer servers).  The A-4E is just a step up from WWII as it has limited radar for ground use only.  The mod comes with a full manual that is available to read standalone or via kneeboard while in the game.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 07:30:47 AM by edge12674 »

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills