Author Topic: Hey Animl, got some ammo for ya  (Read 1029 times)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Hey Animl, got some ammo for ya
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2024, 11:08:33 AM »
-From what i read you can fly a B17 and drive a Tiger tank with this pack? I thought all this stuff was just AI.
If somebody answered this, I missed it.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2024, 11:10:17 AM »
I have the pack. I don't drive ground vehicles but you can. Don't know about the Tiger. You cannot fly a B-17.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2024, 11:14:23 AM »
I have the pack. I don't drive ground vehicles but you can. Don't know about the Tiger. You cannot fly a B-17.

Sorry.  Forgot you can drive the some of the tanks.

But you need the Combined Arms add-on right?  lol.  Don't get me started on that one too. ;)

There is a flyable A-20.  I can't remember if that was part of the pack.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2024, 11:20:22 AM »
There may be free flyable bomber mods but I wouldn't expect much from them. Seems someone is working on a Lancaster which may be a high fidelity mod.

I've long had the Combined Arms addon but couldn't tell you what it gives me apart from not having it. Bought it back several years ago (2014) when ED was practically giving mods away.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 11:24:37 AM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2024, 12:30:41 PM »
combined arms is fun. The tank action is almost as lame as aces is.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2024, 02:49:03 PM »
Well CB is a volunteer customer based effort. 

You support ED by buying their products.

Many of the mod builders \ server admins will have a donation or Buy-Me-A-Coffee thing available.

Someone actually suggested in a thread that ED consider moving to a subscription approach.  Nick Grey even addressed that in one interview.  Bottom line, for a variety of reasons, they have stated ED has no intentions of moving toward a subscription model.

A few surprising outliers aside, I'd say the vast percentage of respondents were against the idea of paying a subscription.  Like 95%+ against subscriptions. 
I prefer to pay rather than subscribe.  Witholding my money until some milestone is reached is my only leverage.  If they were already getting my money in subscription no matter what, even before delivering something, would they be as motivated?

I think even if they would like to, it almost can't happen, despite what the masses think. Plus that conversation move would devastate the current base who love individual purchases. AH subscription works because it was in the design from the beginning and they have all the planes, boats and vehicles already. HT is got a steady income with much less overhead. Frankly, if their issues are as bad as perceived, it won't save them. Too many will bail. Like I stated, they painted themselves into a corner. I think it's way too late in the game for that.

I'm ok with being wrong, it's just my predictions are unfolding, which means my instincts are on track, so far.

It's like a tooth cavity, ya only see the little spec of a hole,.. but underneath decay is rampant. OR compare to ice bergs.

AH's problems are obvious, nothing to hide there. if it ever got a 3D engine update,. this ship could turn around. There's a decent chance AH could outlive DCS, without an update. it may not be packed, but it's heart would still be beating. Some might want to consider not damaging it and delirium, they may need it some day.
Aces High III - Masters of the Air Scenario (video)
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=Ct5p_Vv0YXgmRxKs

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2024, 03:01:00 AM »
There is a flyable A-20.

whhhaat?
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2024, 03:12:02 AM »
I think even if they would like to, it almost can't happen, despite what the masses think. Plus that conversation move would devastate the current base who love individual purchases. AH subscription works because it was in the design from the beginning and they have all the planes, boats and vehicles already. HT is got a steady income with much less overhead. Frankly, if their issues are as bad as perceived, it won't save them. Too many will bail. Like I stated, they painted themselves into a corner. I think it's way too late in the game for that.

I'm ok with being wrong, it's just my predictions are unfolding, which means my instincts are on track, so far.

It's like a tooth cavity, ya only see the little spec of a hole,.. but underneath decay is rampant. OR compare to ice bergs.

AH's problems are obvious, nothing to hide there. if it ever got a 3D engine update,. this ship could turn around. There's a decent chance AH could outlive DCS, without an update. it may not be packed, but it's heart would still be beating. Some might want to consider not damaging it and delirium, they may need it some day.

I can't see DCS going anywhere anytime soon.  Server numbers have been extraordinarily high the last couple months compared to previous years, espcecially considering the season. 

And... I have NEVER seen numbers like I did today (because of the F-4).  Not for the F-18, F-16, or even F-14 (which would have been more like today had it not been so expensive).  It's 3am and there's STILL tons more than usual.  I almost fell out of my chair when I got the "the server is full" message when I went to log into a popular training arena.

Earlier I think you posted DCS had hurt AH.  Man, I just don't think it has.  Until recently, I had only run into former (or current) AH guys a couple times (that I knew of).  In fact (this will blow your mind), I ran across more former AIR WARRIOR players than AH.  I at least thought that was kinda super-weird.  I ~really~ think AH will, (or at least would) be perfectly fine as long as Hitech wants it to.  It's extraordinarily good that people have, or at least know, there's somewhere to land should the AH plug ever get pulled. 

DCS isn't so bad dude.  Same with IL-2.  You ought to give either or both a chance... they can both be just as infuriating or exciting as AH or AW ever was.  It's good to change things up now and again... you don't have to quit anything.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 03:20:56 AM by Tumor »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2024, 05:23:16 AM »

DCS isn't so bad dude.  Same with IL-2.  You ought to give either or both a chance... they can both be just as infuriating or exciting as AH or AW ever was.  It's good to change things up now and again... you don't have to quit anything.

I tank quite often in IL-2 Finnish full realism server. Eastern front, long distances. No icons whatsoever, orientation by map and compass. That's something different and exciting. But one needs patience and ability to use compass and read map. If those skills are in smartphone zombie level, it won't work.

Yesterday for example, co-operation w/ another tanker and JU-87G Kanonvogel to take one village guarded by Russian tanks. Stuka paralyzed Russians and gave us locations, we finished them. After it I went and mauled couple of Russian field defense fortifications and one tank base. That's how frontier there moves.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2024, 06:12:38 AM »
I can't see DCS going anywhere anytime soon.  Server numbers have been extraordinarily high the last couple months compared to previous years, espcecially considering the season. 

And... I have NEVER seen numbers like I did today (because of the F-4).  Not for the F-18, F-16, or even F-14 (which would have been more like today had it not been so expensive).  It's 3am and there's STILL tons more than usual.  I almost fell out of my chair when I got the "the server is full" message when I went to log into a popular training arena.

Earlier I think you posted DCS had hurt AH.  Man, I just don't think it has.  Until recently, I had only run into former (or current) AH guys a couple times (that I knew of).  In fact (this will blow your mind), I ran across more former AIR WARRIOR players than AH.  I at least thought that was kinda super-weird.  I ~really~ think AH will, (or at least would) be perfectly fine as long as Hitech wants it to.  It's extraordinarily good that people have, or at least know, there's somewhere to land should the AH plug ever get pulled. 

Nope… flight sims are the new Highlander. There can be only one.

Get it together already.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2024, 08:33:43 AM »

There’s some truth in what everyone says on both sides of the fence. DCS is not my kinda game play. I love the furballs and human pilots.

I know why some of the AWers, a lot former staff went to DCS, a lot is based on resentment of how AW went down snd AH came up. Then the way we were treated by the AH crowd when we came over, it was ugly. Moggy and a several others are there. I miss those guys.

I came over here with you, you dragged me here when I was seriously P-ed off oat the way it went down. We both saw how AWers, who almost tripled the population, were treated by players from WB who thought they were king of the hill. Just to find out AWers mopped the floor with em. That’s when top AWers went to DCS.if AH were not the same play as AW, I wouldn’t be here. The play style is very nostalgic to me. AH grew on me snd itd your fault lol. I came here biting, clawing and scratching, and very angry. It may end up the same sutuation repeat. But like AW, here til the last drop.

DCS won’t let me do my things its too caged up.

I said I would never step in AH too. <shrug>

I like AH because its s clone on steroids of AW. I don’t want my time on cockpits, I want to dogfight endlessly in big crowds.

Despite some of your truths DCS has very visible longevity issues, like most sims struggling to stay relevant.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 08:35:43 AM by Animl-AW »

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2024, 08:54:24 AM »
I tank quite often in IL-2 Finnish full realism server. Eastern front, long distances. No icons whatsoever, orientation by map and compass. That's something different and exciting. But one needs patience and ability to use compass and read map. If those skills are in smartphone zombie level, it won't work.

Yesterday for example, co-operation w/ another tanker and JU-87G Kanonvogel to take one village guarded by Russian tanks. Stuka paralyzed Russians and gave us locations, we finished them. After it I went and mauled couple of Russian field defense fortifications and one tank base. That's how frontier there moves.

Yesterday I played AH3 for a couple hours and IL2 for a couple hours.
In AH3 the numbers were in the 40+.  I encountered 25k ft ponies running after one 500mph attempt to pick. I only saw a couple enemy planes on the map, which were usually these ponies.

After a while I got bored and went to IL2.
I saw there were 30+ players on the "normal" server. This is one with air-starts, icons and and very small maps. I started and within minutes I was in furball.

As the numbers fell off (usually around 5pm EST) I moved over to the combat box server.(which had 60+ players at the time)
I had some issues with SRS as I'm currently using my backup computer and was able to get help to get it working on the cross country channel.
As soon as I hopped in my plane and requested a call sign there were repeated calls by command reporting a large number of enemy planes just west of our base. I took off and headed that way and didn't have to fly more then a minute or two before I saw tracers everywhere and soon was in another furball. The weather was bad so I had to be very careful about who I was shooting. I also had to make sure not to lose my plane as we had limited supply of the late war planes. I didn't manage to get any kills as my countrymen cleaned up the mess rather quickly and I was able to bring my plane back without an issue.

Based on my experience yesterday, I'm not sure that I'm going to keep my AH3 sub. In my experience the maps are too big for the current number of players. I've been playing AH3 for almost 2 weeks now and my experience has been the same before and after the connection upgrade. (some in game mentioned that the connection was the reason the numbers were down)

I did have a bunch of fun in FSO, but other then that my experience in AH3 has been rather boring compared to IL2. I have not yet tried DCS online.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 09:22:02 AM by hazmatt »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2024, 09:11:29 AM »
whhhaat?

Doh.  Sorry.  It's not flyable. 

It is available for AI without having the WWII Asset Pack. 

Sorry mispoke.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2024, 09:57:37 AM »
Here’s a problem with comparing sims, bias.

If you fly a sim and try another, its always looking for negatives over positives. Ya go in bias ya come out bias ya speak bias.

That said, Hazzmat, you may not have noticed, but I was around you for 2 days. You actually stated on 200 how AH was much better than you remembered. You flew 5-10 min from the next base to get 2-3 kills at a time and land them. What you spoke of in the MA doesn’t match what you say here. I refer that to bias memory. You actually posted on the bbs what an absolute blast you had despite low numbers, which was due to the connection upgrade. I'm not picking on you I'm just using it as an example how bias opinions work. No offense intended.

No matter what sim someone flies there choice is the best choice and everyone should follow. Many half-truths are spoken and flaws hidden to make a bias point.

For me and MY personal preference, I think fight AI is about as exciting as shooting a tied up chicken thinking I’m a great hunter with superior aim.

I do me, you do you.

Not much I despise more than a daily knock on the door telling me to save myself, against my will. I will do the direct opposite out of spite of being talked into anything. I prefer to make choices to what is natural to me. Every salesman is full of sht. I repel them like the black plague. Never reward a liar with success. That’s me, I’m weird, and still me.

That said, if there wasn’t some truth in what everyone says debates would not last mire than 5 replies. Its dragging out what isn’t said that elongates them.

Its all very bias to one’s choice. Not good, not bad, it just is.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 10:06:18 AM by Animl-AW »

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2024, 10:18:34 AM »
The comments I made were about yesterday. I said I had fun on Friday which sounds like the day you were referring to.

None of the planes I was talking about in IL2 were AI. They were all real players.

Bias is picking and choosing comments that fit your narrative.
(relating comments I made on Friday to a post I made about yesterday)
(inferring that I was fighting AI when I was fighting other real players)

Would you have made the same comments about bias if my opinions of the sims were reversed and I found IL2 boring?

I think not.

I could go on but I know it would end in a dumpster fire.