Author Topic: Lets call it strange observation  (Read 8600 times)

Offline knorB

• Silver Member
Re: Lets call it strange observation
« Reply #210 on: August 11, 2024, 01:57:27 PM »
Players hunt down players all the time..GVers are famous for it.. player died in GV comes back and bombs the player who killed them.. sometimes I think people forget this is a WAR and what they say.."all is fair in love and war"

Game… it’s a game.  Any while it is combat oriented, griefing should not be tolerated if proven. 

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #211 on: August 11, 2024, 02:05:50 PM »
Players hunt down players all the time..GVers are famous for it.. player died in GV comes back and bombs the player who killed them.. sometimes I think people forget this is a WAR and what they say.."all is fair in love and war"

Heck, it was part of my primary game loop in battlefield as a sniper. ;)

Kill cam would show my location after I sniped someone.  I would take 3-4 out and then set claymores and displace to another overwatch position and target my last position.

Like clockwork, up comes a jeep approaching my old position from behind.  3-4 angry knuckleheads pile out and sneak toward my old sniper hide.  One would hit the claymore.  The others would get rounds on forehead as they looked around confused.

Wash, rinse, repeat. 

Half my fun was fighting guys trying to come hunt me for revenge.  Mmmmmmm.  Feel the hate.  It's like warm sunshine. ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #212 on: August 11, 2024, 02:10:42 PM »
Game… it’s a game.  Any while it is combat oriented, griefing should not be tolerated if proven.

Just asking for clarification.

What is the definition of griefing?  Shooting down an enemy plane?

How would a mod evaluate that rule?  Based on the feelings of the person that got shot down?

Is what you are suggesting workable?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #213 on: August 11, 2024, 02:11:39 PM »
only HTC definition of geifing matters and I don't think "neo" actions rise to that level.. if it were up to each individual player to decide the definition of greifing everybody would be guilty
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #214 on: August 11, 2024, 02:15:44 PM »
let's say you killed me and you were in a spit16 then I reupped and came back to where you were and seen there was a spit16 still there and I flew past 5 other bad guys to get to you for revenge.. am I guilty of griefing?
"scott66"        

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #215 on: August 11, 2024, 02:17:11 PM »
only HTC definition of geifing matters and I don't think "neo" actions rise to that level.. if it were up to each individual player to decide the definition of greifing everybody would be guilty

Again, multiple simultaneous logins across countries from a single ip should be blocked by the software, IMHO.

That could be workable and codeable. 

That means members of the same household have to all play for the same country, but that can just be the compromise that has to be accepted to make it workable.
Other than banning multiple accounts from a given household completely.

Offline knorB

• Silver Member
« Reply #216 on: August 11, 2024, 02:21:34 PM »
HT doesn’t mind griefing at all. He allows multiple accounts. They can and have been used for many things. From hunting individuals, busting up noe missions and sinking hidden CVs  after the cv base had been captured. If you don’t think that this has and is still going on you’re delusional.
  I understand that $ is $ and that’s why HT allows multiple accounts. Dwindling numbers and all.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #217 on: August 11, 2024, 02:26:30 PM »
Again, multiple simultaneous logins across countries from a single ip should be blocked by the software, IMHO.

That could be workable and codeable. 

That means members of the same household have to all play for the same country, but that can just be the compromise that has to be accepted to make it workable.
Other than banning multiple accounts from a given household completely.
I can see what you're saying and agree plus you have sniper rifles and claymores lol I agree multiple accounts means you have the capability to grief a player because you can switch sides if that player desires to fight another country to get away from another player but does it get used like that?
"scott66"        

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #218 on: August 11, 2024, 02:27:55 PM »
HT doesn’t mind griefing at all. He allows multiple accounts. They can and have been used for many things. From hunting individuals, busting up noe missions and sinking hidden CVs  after the cv base had been captured. If you don’t think that this has and is still going on you’re delusional.
  I understand that $ is $ and that’s why HT allows multiple accounts. Dwindling numbers and all.

I didn't say I didn't understand.

I asked how is your proposed rule enforceable?  From a practical standpoint. How would a mod evaluate an accusation and make the call?

There is no workable solution other than have HT simply ban people enough people don't like. 

Even banning multiple accounts would have no effect.  I simply get my buddy to go to another country and we talk on discord vox. 

You could have a "vote off the island" feature every tour, where players all vote and one player each tour get above a threshold, they are banned. ;)

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #219 on: August 11, 2024, 02:30:39 PM »
nobody complains about cybo sitting on a CV in a plane doing nothing but flashing enemy bases as the CV gets closer for a "sneak" attack perhaps that account has owners not an owner
"scott66"        

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #220 on: August 11, 2024, 02:31:51 PM »
So I'll toss some things out:

• Your stats don't update until you land. That means you can use .score <playername> and determine whether or not they're still in the air.
  • If you know the plane's last altitude, you can usually and fairly accurately determine whether they'll climb or cruise to their next destination.
  • Using each plane's approximate cruise speed and climb speeds (which, coincidentally, most planes climb at the same ground speed track), you can create a search area. If you know the vector the aircraft is most likely headed on, you can reduce this search area by approximately 75-85%.
  • Couple the above with knowing the aircraft type, and you can VERY easily locate most players.
  • You can make this even more effective by using actual search patterns within a grid.
  • This was also achievable prior to the system kill messages update by simply having a computer or phone pulled up with the player's stats. Refreshing the page would let you know who they killed and what plane they were in.

It's VERY easy to locate players without other accounts. I've said it once and I'll say it again: none of us have concurrent multiple accounts logged on. There's no need. It's super easy to locate anyone using the above. Why risk bannable behavior when you can pinpoint with > 95% probability where someone is, if you wished, with a single account?

Am I saying we target players? Nope. I'm simply saying that ignorance creates more ignorance. People thinking you need multiple accounts to track someone are paranoid as hell. We commonly have running bets on comms if we can ID who a player is or where they'll pop out at and we're more often than not spot-on, because it's super easy to allow the above to become second nature and part of SA once you get the hang of it.

I've named my accounts all "Skyyr/SkyyrII/SkyyrIII" so it's both obvious who I am and it's obvious that I'm not logging them on concurrently. Almost everyone else in our squad with multiple accounts uses the same naming convention, so it's easily to show we're not logging on concurrently.

The multiple accounts were made, ironically, because of complaints and accusations from players like Violator. We switch sides constantly for fights and so we were getting stuck on different countries. Players like Simon and Violator constantly screamed "cheat" when they would die because we were on different teams and accused us of reporting their position, despite the fact we weren't. So multiple accounts let us dedicate one account to each country and switch at will, together.

So before the multiple accounts, we had constant cheating allegation. Now after the multiple accounts, we have less, yet more outlandish, cheating allegations. It would be VERY obvious if we were logging them on concurrently (we're not).

I've asked Hitech to drop the timer to 1 hour or so, so that multiple accounts weren't needed. His response was: "no"

So unless Hitech says using accounts for side switches is against the rules, I'll be using them purely for that purpose.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 02:48:48 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline knorB

• Silver Member
« Reply #221 on: August 11, 2024, 02:32:59 PM »
Way above my pay grade. All I can tell you is I’ve witnessed in the past someone switching fronts only to watch the griefer switch siides to continue to single out one individual.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #222 on: August 11, 2024, 02:38:24 PM »
I'm switching to decaf... I've had way too much coffee..I think I'll just shut up and fly<S> see you in the game we all love!
"scott66"        

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #223 on: August 11, 2024, 02:41:13 PM »
I can see what you're saying and agree plus you have sniper rifles and claymores lol I agree multiple accounts means you have the capability to grief a player because you can switch sides if that player desires to fight another country to get away from another player but does it get used like that?

OK.  Point take.

Banning multiple accounts totally would prevent someone from changing countries to target a player willing to change countries to avoid them.

Shrug.  I have no opinion on banning multiple accounts from a single household.  I don't know if it's feasible to do that.  Grandpa and his grand kids can't play online together?

Hmmm.

Hmmmm a single switch timer applies to any\all accounts from a give household ip?  If one of the accounts can't switch, then none of them can but can continue to play on the country they are on?  That might be workable.

And accounts from the same household ip always have to be on the same country.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 02:43:50 PM by CptTrips »

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #224 on: August 11, 2024, 02:41:45 PM »
A lot of thing can show majority on many issues instead of reading many posts.
Whether they are acted on is a different issue.

But it gives majority a collective voice.

Griefing? Harassing one ayer snd harassing many is not the same.