Author Topic: Lets call it strange observation  (Read 8504 times)

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
Re: Lets call it strange observation
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2024, 10:41:02 AM »
Back in the day it only took one plane to get a fight started. Now it takes two or three players to get the alarm bell ringing but it’s still easy enough. Some people are just too lazy to even try.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2024, 10:56:16 AM »
Someone stuck on Rooks would just have to log out.

And, as previously stated, that is what they want.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2024, 01:35:39 PM »
Just as an added point on the "fights" issue, the larger maps by their very nature, reduced the strategic impact of strat damage as they were more difficult to get to.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2024, 01:45:24 PM »
Just as an added point on the "fights" issue, the larger maps by their very nature, reduced the strategic impact of strat damage as they were more difficult to get to.

6-8 sectors round trip is my limit to travel to strats. I only play for like an hour a night though.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2024, 02:44:59 PM »
I think some of the settings some complain about are to help new players they get lost without the unrealistic aid settings, they be real lost if it was full realism. Gotta give and take.
It was amazing in AW full realism and relaxed realism, FR barely had anyone playing it towards the end. 

Not everyone likes what you think they would. When it came down to it

I made realistic damage model. RR didn’t care for it as much as FR
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 02:46:41 PM by Animl-AW »

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2024, 04:07:36 PM »
I think some of the settings some complain about are to help new players they get lost without the unrealistic aid settings, they be real lost if it was full realism. Gotta give and take.
It was amazing in AW full realism and relaxed realism, FR barely had anyone playing it towards the end. 

Not everyone likes what you think they would. When it came down to it

I made realistic damage model. RR didn’t care for it as much as FR
We don’t really have any new players. I’m more concerned with retaining the old dogs and maybe bringing some folks back. Most of the “updates” seem to support the attraction of new players at the expense of the core of the folks that are still here. Before everything, this is/was a flight sim that struck the right balance of fun and immersion. The latest tendency to try to make things easier has backfired quite a bit in my opinion. Some of the intangible things that made the game more challenging like SA are being sacrificed in the name of easily finding enemies which was never hard to begin with.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2024, 04:26:00 PM »
We don’t really have any new players. I’m more concerned with retaining the old dogs and maybe bringing some folks back. Most of the “updates” seem to support the attraction of new players at the expense of the core of the folks that are still here. Before everything, this is/was a flight sim that struck the right balance of fun and immersion. The latest tendency to try to make things easier has backfired quite a bit in my opinion. Some of the intangible things that made the game more challenging like SA are being sacrificed in the name of easily finding enemies which was never hard to begin with.

Totally get that.

Me thinks III came too late

There might be some hang up changing settings. I recklessly assume some of these are 10 min changes. Anything that has to update exe files is prolly out of the question.

In the end, I’d rather play what we have than other options. None of this stuff bothers me to the point of not playing at all.

I left in II, III id still kinda newish to me. I’m good.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2024, 09:31:10 AM »
Totally get that.

Me thinks III came too late

There might be some hang up changing settings. I recklessly assume some of these are 10 min changes. Anything that has to update exe files is prolly out of the question.

In the end, I’d rather play what we have than other options. None of this stuff bothers me to the point of not playing at all.

I left in II, III id still kinda newish to me. I’m good.
The update to the radar (the awacs part) and kill messages came well after III was released if memory serves. Radar values can easily be changed in arena settings. It’s changed all the time for scenarios and FSO. Although the lower numbers and kill message thing makes it substantially easier to grief players without actually resorting to dubious means, it doesn’t bother me nearly as much as the radar settings. The awacs thing destroys fights and makes it much harder for smaller groups to combat larger ones.

I’ve spent the majority of my time in AH flying (stupidly) into the biggest red darbars on the maps. Before the radar change, I could fly headlong into 10 players and maybe dispatch one or two before getting clobbered. Now, as soon as I come in icon range of the first enemy, all 10 of those plots will instantly converge on me and I’ll have 2 or 3 of them saddled up before I can make a turn or two after the initial contact. Then there’s GVs which I can’t even see parked under trees giving me away because I’m in their icon range but they’re not in mine. So even if I’m not in range of any aircraft and there’s a tank near by, I’m being painted on radar to the entire other country and they can extrapolate (rather quickly) that I’m low and exactly what direction I’m headed. So I can’t even up from a base that’s under attack and have breathing room to get any speed or altitude before a horde is descending on my exact position.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 09:37:57 AM by LilMak »
~Hub Zemke

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2024, 09:52:47 AM »
I’ve spent the majority of my time in AH flying (stupidly) into the biggest red darbars on the maps. Before the radar change, I could fly headlong into 10 players and maybe dispatch one or two before getting clobbered. Now, as soon as I come in icon range of the first enemy, all 10 of those plots will instantly converge on me and I’ll have 2 or 3 of them saddled up before I can make a turn or two after the initial contact. Then there’s GVs which I can’t even see parked under trees giving me away because I’m in their icon range but they’re not in mine. So even if I’m not in range of any aircraft and there’s a tank near by, I’m being painted on radar to the entire other country and they can extrapolate (rather quickly) that I’m low and exactly what direction I’m headed. So I can’t even up from a base that’s under attack and have breathing room to get any speed or altitude before a horde is descending on my exact position.

Welcome to the meat grinder where you are bombarded by suckage  :rofl.  It definitely sucks.  Hording has always been a thing, but like you said, you had to actually be in visual range.  There are squads that will literally all converge and pounce on one player, giving up their alt and E just to get one kill and 5 assists as soon as an icon appears on the map.  I have also seen players turn around and run before they were even in icon range.  I've had to definitely change my flying style since my return.  It's less fun, but in order to survive the mediocrity you sometimes have to adopt their methods...
Tours 86 - 296

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2024, 10:25:38 AM »
Welcome to the meat grinder where you are bombarded by suckage  :rofl.  It definitely sucks.  Hording has always been a thing, but like you said, you had to actually be in visual range.  There are squads that will literally all converge and pounce on one player, giving up their alt and E just to get one kill and 5 assists as soon as an icon appears on the map.  I have also seen players turn around and run before they were even in icon range.  I've had to definitely change my flying style since my return.  It's less fun, but in order to survive the mediocrity you sometimes have to adopt their methods...

.....and that is one of the things killing the game off. I dont want to have to fly "like them", I have fun flying the way I want. That has always been what makes this game great, the diversity of playing styles. Take away a players fun and they leave.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2024, 11:24:54 AM »
.....and that is one of the things killing the game off. I dont want to have to fly "like them", I have fun flying the way I want. That has always been what makes this game great, the diversity of playing styles. Take away a players fun and they leave.
:aok Truth from the Fugi!
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2024, 11:44:05 AM »

Yep. It's what I've been preaching for the last year or so.  I can only name two players that have actually left the game due to the player this thread was started over and his "activities."  However, I can name at least 10 that have left because of the current playstyle of the masses.  I have been considering it myself, and I was a player that said I'd be here until the end. 
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2024, 11:50:37 AM »
Having to climb to > 10k each flight limits the number of engagements one can have in a given time period...usually only an hour a day while some obviously live in the game and time and ridiculous altitude isn't as big a deal..
Game is different than ever before...it is what it is but still more fun than not so I will continue to login

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2024, 12:20:57 PM »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 12:24:33 PM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2024, 12:22:03 PM »
Duplicate post.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 12:25:06 PM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)