Author Topic: Vehicle Spawn Point Changes  (Read 396 times)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Vehicle Spawn Point Changes
« on: April 11, 2001, 11:03:00 AM »
The lasted change to the game seems to have brought vehicle spawn points much further away from enemy fields.

Seems to be another way of trying to take vehicles out of the game for alot of people. I know I dont use them near as much now that it takes a much longer ride to get into action.

I don't care for this change and would prefer the spawn points be put back where they were.
Vehicles are a blast, a good change of pace from flying, and we are moving farther and farther away from them being part of AH.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Sturm

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2001, 11:08:00 AM »
Agreed, bring them closer in, as it is now I only use GV's for base defense and never for attack. Don't want to spend 30 minutes driving to target to die in 1 second.

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel
Airfield Defense Squadron
Campaigning for the rights of the ME-410.

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2001, 01:35:00 PM »

Originally posted by Sturm:
Agreed, bring them closer in, as it is now I only use GV's for base defense and never for attack. Don't want to spend 30 minutes driving to target to die in 1 second.

You know... you may want to actually drive a vehicle before you comment on how long it takes to get somewhere. 5 to 10 minutes tops, about the same amount of time it takes a fighter to get to it's target. Less time than it takes a bomber to get operational alt and to it's target.

Engage your brain, then engage your keyboard.
-SW

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2001, 02:12:00 PM »
I have been driving a vehicle, and it takes too long.  Planes dont have to crawl up long hills at 3 or 4 mph.  Many cases it is taking alot longer to get to a target.  Sure seems that way to me.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2001, 02:33:00 PM »
AKSeaWulfe wrote:

"You know... you may want to actually drive a vehicle before you comment on how long it takes to get somewhere.
Engage your brain, then engage your keyboard.
               -SW"

AKSeaWulfe, I find your need to insult in this thread juvenile and asinine.  Making comments like this serve as a detriment to this BBS, and to the community in general.

Why should you decide that someone cannot post an idea or opinion without opening themselves to your childish need to act this way?

If you have an opposing idea, or wish to offer information, you could do it in a mature manner, maybe even participate in a discussion based soley on fact and merit.

Dago

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2001, 03:48:00 PM »
I would have to agree with you Dago

Since I am in the middle of building my first terrain map geared for a 2 country war in the H2H, which can only have 8 people.  I've been looking at the use of all vehicles, planes, bombers, carriers and pt boats in this war, so I can tell you that I've looked at time and distant.  I know water is in knots but using mph because the water is flat, no waves.

Pt boats  45 mph 1 mile in 1 min. 20 sec
M16 & M3  45 mph 1 mile in 1 min. 20 sec
Ostwind   30 mph 1 mile in 2 minutes
Panzer    25 mph 1 mile in 2 min. 24 sec.
CV        40 mph 1 mile in 1 min. 30 sec.

all based on flat terrain.

Planes and Bombers have various speeds but lets use
Bombers  240 mph  1 mile in 15 sec.
Fighters 300 mph  1 mile in 12 sec.

In the editor each square = 1 square mile.

So I tested these vehicles and they are pretty damn close.

So if an enmeny field is 20 miles away, you can get there in a fighter in about 4 minutes, may be add about 1/2 minute for takeoff.
While using vehicle like an Ostwind it would take you at least 40 minutes to travel the same distance.  That's if there are no hills and you can travel in a straight line.

So I am going to spawn my vehicle points about 1/2 the distane from 1 field to the next field.  I've been placing fields about 20 mile apart.

Once I finish the map and try it out, i'll then be able to get a better idea of how far apart things should be.

Pokie  

[This message has been edited by pokie (edited 04-11-2001).]

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2001, 04:01:00 PM »

Originally posted by Dago:
AKSeaWulfe, I find your need to insult in this thread juvenile and asinine.  Making comments like this serve as a detriment to this BBS, and to the community in general.

First of all, it was directed at Sturm.
Second of all, how can you improve on something that you haven't even tried?(again this would be directed at Sturm)

In the end, it all averages out. The only difference is you are driving rather than flying.

You know.. I don't like to fly 5 to 15 minutes to the fight, maybe we can have spawn points in the air too?

See what I mean? Just because it takes 15 minutes to get somewhere in a tank doesn't mean it should be adjusted, because it's going to take you just as long in a plane.
-SW

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2001, 04:09:00 PM »
Assuming you have some way of knowing if Sturm has tried a GV or not, you still dont need to add insults.

Dago

Offline VoX

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2001, 04:20:00 PM »
Just a thought, but what about introducing roads between the air fields, vehicles cud travel faster on roads at the expense of being more visible.

VoX
"That aint my Kid"
Shoot! I smell Zack! Doom's a Fairy, Jimmy's a drunk, RT is very suspicious!
how do I start my engine...no seriously, How?

Sturm

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2001, 04:47:00 PM »
SW Something I haven't tried?  And how did you base that?  This tour I have spent only 5 hours in GV's why you might ask oh great and knowledgeable SW?  For one I do not prefer climbing hills at 2mph , don't think its true?  Try from 17 to 16 and you will know what I mean.  SW I said it before you have really got to work on your ways to try and flame me.  I laugh at these pathetic attempts of insult on your part.  

So 5 minutes huh to reach a base in a Mark IV or Ostwind?  Show me the base, and the film to prove that is the amount of time, even in the last tour you had to spend more then 5 minutes to get to a base.  SW I can handle myself in a GV as well look at last tour and it should site that.  Then again you already knew that didn't you?  Petty insults make you look bad not me, keep it up SW your class is really starting to shine.  Poor SW someday your parents might give you back your bike so you don't have to spend so much time on the PC.  PS:  I heard the training wheels were in the mail, but don't tell anyone I told you that.  Its a secret between me and you ok?  

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2001, 05:38:00 PM »
I don't know if this helps but I have been experimenting with ways to get up hills faster at the expense of possibly over-turning your ride and having to .ef.  

When climbing up hills that are fairly steep try attacking it at an angle to the direct route over the top.  This makes it a little easier but it also requires a little longer in the drive time.  One other thing is you need to recon the area that you want to drive over first so you don't get stuck in a worse section of the hills/mountain as you go up it.

------------------
ObstLt. Reschke
2/LJK Staffelkapitan
Kommandeur Jagdbomber
LuftJagerKorps
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2001, 05:43:00 PM »

Originally posted by Sturm:
SW Something I haven't tried?  And how did you base that?  This tour I have spent only 5 hours in GV's why you might ask oh great and knowledgeable SW?  For one I do not prefer climbing hills at 2mph , don't think its true?  Try from 17 to 16 and you will know what I mean.  SW I said it before you have really got to work on your ways to try and flame me.  I laugh at these pathetic attempts of insult on your part.  

So 5 minutes huh to reach a base in a Mark IV or Ostwind?  Show me the base, and the film to prove that is the amount of time, even in the last tour you had to spend more then 5 minutes to get to a base.  SW I can handle myself in a GV as well look at last tour and it should site that.  Then again you already knew that didn't you?  Petty insults make you look bad not me, keep it up SW your class is really starting to shine.  Poor SW someday your parents might give you back your bike so you don't have to spend so much time on the PC.  PS:  I heard the training wheels were in the mail, but don't tell anyone I told you that.  Its a secret between me and you ok?  

If you weren't such a retard, I might actually take my time to point out how stupid you are.

I feel sorry for you.  

I don't need to film anything, all I do is start driving, look at the clock... drive to my target... look at the clock again.

Mysteriously it's 5 to 15 minutes later.
WOW!!!!!  
-SW

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2001, 05:51:00 PM »
Ya know SW and sturm, why cant you two just keep your mouths shut. Its getting rediculous  that we have to endure your private (or at least it should be) little war. I hope you guys can be man enough to just ignore each other and press on.

<S>

ammo
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Sturm

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2001, 06:33:00 PM »
Well i am through with him, I will not stoop to his level anymore.  

------------------
Sturm6 StaffelKapitän
JV44 Platzschutzstaffel

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2001, 10:08:00 PM »
Guys,

The game is called Aces High.  Why do we need to make Vbase spawn points closer to the other fields so they are constantly being overrun by ostwinds and panzers, vulching anyone trying to take off?

In my opinion the spawn points are fine as they are.