Author Topic: Unbelivable Racism  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2002, 04:04:56 PM »
Originally posted by easymo
Kieran. Common sense would dictate that they commissioned an artist to design a memorial from scratch.  In this way the NYFD could have included anyone they saw fit. NO COMMON SENSE.

Good point, easymo.  I only fear that now that I agree with you, the apocalypse is around the corner.;)

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2002, 05:28:24 PM »
One more and ill try to shut up:).

Some damned fine Americans went into those buildings, and died, doing there job.  I am in absolute awe of such men. Being Americans, the color of their skin could not matter less.  If you look at that photo.  It is obvious that the point of it, was that the stars and stripes were being put back up.  I cant belive that men of color, such as these, would spend one second worrying about who was holding the flag at the time. They were after all brothers in uniform. I know this is presumptuous of me.  But, I think they would be saddened by this being turned into a lie.  It cheapens what was one of New Yorks finest moments. And all of Americas, in turn.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2002, 05:46:16 PM »
"I think the artistic expression of diversity would supersede any concern over factual correctness."

Now that is a scary quote.

F.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2002, 05:48:27 PM »
Yup, I hate this toejam.

I was also always amazed that the best Shuttle Crews were always made up of a black, woman, asian, white, and... dunno, pry a studmuffin or a homeless person. Someone oppressed by everyone else for not being male,white and most qualified I guess.

The REAL dudes should be there, I don't remember any Asian Americans on the Iwo Jima memorial, do you? Those racist bastards in the 40's...sheeesh.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2002, 05:56:17 PM »
As I recall there was an American indian helping put that thing up.  I think he was included in the statue,  because he was actully there.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2002, 06:02:11 PM by easymo »

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2002, 06:10:20 PM »
As he should.

If the sanction NASCAR this way, can you imagine the carnage? (Asian drivers...heh) -cymbal crash .wav-

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2002, 06:22:57 PM »
I actually had to think a second about that "cymbol crash"- then I thought of "Sixteen Candles". Every time they said the Asian Exchange student's name (Long Duk Dong) you heard a cymbol crash.

Funny, Creamo, too funny.:)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2002, 08:02:09 PM »
Cant believe they didnt make the last white guy a cripple with tits to really round out the trio.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2002, 09:30:23 PM »
Racism of the worst sort.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2002, 10:19:19 PM »
Whotta buncha gawdamned boneheaded and ignorant ijits we got fer civic leaders.

*sigh*

PC will kill us all.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2002, 11:23:16 PM »
Big deal...

It's not altering history... it's a frigging piece of bronze.

The history is in the newspaper photo.

Certainly, the "artist" who came up with this could have and probably should have come up with somethin original. Scratch that... The artist should have come up with some other idea. The point of the memorial is to honor all of the firefighters and not simpy McWilliams, Johnson and Eisengrein. This statue is not about them.

On the other hand... the fact that it does resemble the photo, it's a tip of the hat towards McWilliams, Johnson and Eisengrein.

Maybe they should consider themselves honored to be the inspiration for the memorial.

Either way.. I'll not lose any sleep over it.
sand

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2002, 11:37:20 PM »
Maybe they should consider themselves honored to be the inspiration for the memorial.

That has to be one of the dumbest things ive ever read.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2002, 11:41:08 PM »
Re-read some of your own posts. :p
« Last Edit: January 13, 2002, 11:51:32 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline jan

• Zinc Member
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2002, 06:02:05 AM »
Originally posted by Kieran
The only reason I differ in opinion this time is because the statue is intended to remember all who fell, not merely recreate the moment. Further, they have acknowledged from the start what the intention was, so I guess I see it as no biggie. If on the other hand they had claimed this statue was a representation of the picture, well, then we have another story.

so, where´s the lady displayed in that statue? agreeing anyways...

Offline ET

• Copper Member
Unbelivable Racism
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2002, 08:09:09 AM »
They could have copied the picture as it was and then stood some politically correct firemen around it watching the flag go up
as I'm sure there were.Then all sides would be happy.