Author Topic: FA Flight Model  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
FA Flight Model
« on: January 22, 2002, 01:01:23 PM »
I have read here in some threads that the general opinion among many of you is that the Fighter Ace flight model is not realistic.

If you were to visit our forum and read some of the exchanges between the game developers and real pilots (8000+ hours including stick time in a p-51) you would see that the model is being tweaked to be very realistic.

Those of you who think it is "arcade"ish are either in the wrong room or do not know how a real plane performs.

Check out the thread at

newsgroup: vr1.fa3.public

thread : VR1..........Aerodynamic model with flaps

This is a really interesting read as "Aerobatic" one of the flight model programmers responds to a very experienced real pilot on the topic of wing tip washout and the effect of flaps.

I am not trying to start a war between AH or FA. I was a beta player in AH and in IL-2 and in FA-3. All the games feel different. I like the fact that FA is trying to model a plane to feel like a real plane. In the arcade room they do not fly like that but in the real area they are getting there.

If you have decided not to check out FA because it is not "real" enough you are being mislead. FA 3 is nothing like that which has come before. If you do try the latest version out keep in mind that some things like the damage model and gun physics are still being tweaked.

Also keep in mind that FA is a padlock game. As such it does not need the wide field of view that AH does. If you are going to be successful in FA you need to get used to padlock.

Also we do  not have a zoom feature on the gunsite.

I play IL-2 and FA and would play AH if it were not for the bishop rook thing. Every feature you put in a game or leave out will cause some people to hate it. We are all biased based on which game we started with. If you decide to try out any game a open mind is required.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
FA Flight Model
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2002, 02:11:48 PM »
Why all this advertising for FA lately? We are happy here...go away.

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
FA Flight Model
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2002, 02:15:42 PM »
I have found out about every game out there from the message boards I read. It is quite common to discuss WW2OL and AH and every other game on the FA board.

In fact many of the original players of AH came from FA after reading about the original beta for in in the FA newsgroup.

You may not care and your opinion is noted.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
FA Flight Model
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2002, 02:18:10 PM »
"I like the fact that FA is trying to model a plane to feel like a real plane"

And I want it to FLY like the real thing.   Which is why I subscribe to AH.  

Westy

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
FA Flight Model
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2002, 02:19:32 PM »
Thanks for the update Habu.

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
FA Flight Model
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2002, 03:17:15 PM »
Fighter Ace has "Da Rocket Avenger"...'nuff said :rolleyes:

Offline Udie at Work

• Copper Member
Re: FA Flight Model
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2002, 03:29:55 PM »
Originally posted by Habu
If you were to visit our forum and read some of the exchanges between the game developers and real pilots (8000+ hours including stick time in a p-51) you would see that the model is being tweaked to be very realistic.

Not to sound petty, but this is actually relevent.  Do the programmers of FA have any actual stick time?

"Recently, Dale fulfilled a lifelong dream when he took a ride in the P-51 "Mad Max" with noted aviation author Robert Shaw, flying alongside in the P-51 "Crazy Horse". Dale won the ride last year as a prize for taking top place in an eight man dogfighting tournament with Fighter Pilots USA.  Bob Shaw took this picture during a formation loop."

We've got military pilots, old ww2 vets, private pilots ad nasium, but we have a "creator" who has had this as his passion for well before any of us met him.  This goes without even mentioning the other 5 talented people (6 now :) )   HT's code has been the industry leader for 6+ years now with no sign of changing, I'd be willing to bet after the beta in august that wb3 is still 80% HT's code.  The last 2 online sims of the year were coded by HT.  that is to say that fully 1/2 to 2/3 of the games in this genre were coded by HT.  

I don't think anybody will change over, could be wrong, but I think I'm right. ;)  

We would like to invite you to try the two week free trial though :)  we're always looking for new sticks.

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
cool
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2002, 03:54:40 PM »
I got someone downloading it and putting it on cd for me . At 250 mb + a little big to download at 2.7 lol .

I try out all flight sims , found AH by doing the same thing . So far none have come up to AH level .

My hope it the grafics are better than before with that monster download :D
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
FA Flight Model
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2002, 04:04:17 PM »
It's true that there is pleanty of discussion about various games. That's one of the reasons for this forum (as is my understanding anyhow). But the forum is here for AH players to have these discussions. When some joker shows up and, essentially, spams the board with a big advertisement, it goes against my understanding of the board.

As far as the FA FM goes, (And here's an opinion that matters, an AH player, not a cheerleader/recruiter/focus group leader) So long as there are "wrong rooms" to go to, I wouldn't be happy with the sim. I could be totally off base here, but so long as people have the option to go to the dumbed down arcade game, that's what they will do. All the RR jocks from the demise of AW can go to FA and pull 9 gs all day long. Your vet tested and approved rooms will likely have a faithfull few fans, but otherwise gather dust. Thanks but no thanks.

We have our own problems just trying to get people into the CT here, and that's using the same FM as the MA. Anyhow, I hope the clowns over at FA are paying you. Otherwise, put your skirt back down, and leave the pom poms on the floor.

-Sikboy
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
FA Flight Model
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2002, 04:51:42 PM »
A few comments:

One, I'll be happy to take a look at FA3 when it is DONE and I'm looking at what I'll actually be playing IF there's something like a "two week free trial" that another on-line ACM game will allow you to do.

Two, Padlock? I'll admit I'm starting out with a WAY NEGATIVE bias when I hear this. If the view system isn't good enough to look around quickly while keeping a good idea of the bandit's location... like I said, initially a very negative aspect for me.

Three, No zoom but padlock, eh? Another negative. I am one of those that has flown extensively in RL. I have significant time in several different WW2 aircraft, primarily trainers, not fighters. I feel that I have a "real good idea" of what other aircraft look like at various ranges. Zoom is a compensation for a field of view consideration that artificially reduces the size and detail of the other aircraft on the computer screen. So, maybe FA doesn't need zoom.. but the aircraft had better be decently sized and detailed if it doesn't.

I'll take a look....... during a free trial and AFTER the bugs are ironed out.

Oh, yeah. I'd be a "full realism" FM kind of guy. The last time I played FA of any release the FR rooms were deserted. I mean like EMPTY deserted. That would have to change as well.  ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
FA Flight Model
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2002, 05:31:38 PM »
umm. Fighter Ace has a flight model?

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
FA Flight Model
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2002, 06:30:39 PM »
A couple of more comments in relpy to what was posted here.

Personally I like arcade rooms as they are where the kids tend to hang out. I started in arcade myself long ago and I think that if someone goes straight into a full real room they probably will not like the game. Arcade is necessary to give you a taste of what the game is all about. When you master arcade then if you are looking for a new challange you migrate to full real.

Regarding the lack of players in Full Real. I agree in the Microsoft days the rooms were pretty empty. However if you did go there you found the 10 or so people hanging out were quite talented usually. If you could hang there you had something to be proud about. The lack of players in Full Real is why most of my squad is playing Aces High these days. I am in AoA you probably know them. Some are quite good in AH I hear.

I can only hope under VR-1 control the full real area grows and becomes more crowded. One of the biggest problems the game had in the old days is the lack of flexibilty under Microsoft control. Now it should be much more dynamic like Aces High as the programers are not constrained anymore.

Regarding the guy with the cheerleading comment. Grow up dude. Get a life.

I am about a far from a cheerleader as you can get. I only made my post here to set the record straight regarding flight model. I do not expect AH to lose any happy players to FA anymore than I would expect FA to lose any happy players to AH. But it is nice to know what is going on regardless what game you play.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
FA Flight Model
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2002, 07:19:35 PM »
that game allows superman view right? ill never play any game when i know my opponent is flying aroud like superman.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
FA Flight Model
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2002, 07:20:18 PM »
Regarding the guy with the cheerleading comment. Grow up dude. Get a life.

Lol, I'm a kid, and I have no life because I called you a cheerleader? Ok pally, whatever.

I am about a far from a cheerleader as you can get. I only made my post here to set the record straight regarding flight model

If you weren't a Cheerleader, you wouldn't even be here.  You'd be on the FA board where you belong.  Thanks for trying to address my actual points, but "Hopefully things will be different" doesn't really hold much water. Hopefully Wishes are horses, and hopefully pigs have wings Then we'll worship the gods of FA, who promise those beautiful things (With apologies to Rudyard Kipling).
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
FA Flight Model
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2002, 02:27:56 AM »
Does FA still have the magic padlock view that finds the nearest enemy for you?